• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR192 reversed polarity issue

John Hernly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello,
I hooked the battery up backwards (neg to pos, pos to neg) and blew the battery fuse along with the accessory fuse. Swapped those out and engine will now crank but will not start. The fuel fuse and all the other fuses look good. Is there anything else I should check?
Thanks,
John

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Even though the other fuses "look" good I would start with the fuel fuse and start replacing, checking to see if she would start after every replacement, if you have a test light or meter you can check each one, visual inspection can be tricky. I've read that these boats are pretty sensitive to electrical variances. I know with vehicles a reversed battery connection or getting a jumpstart with reversed connections can cause the ECU to blow....also I'm trying to find out for you if there is a fuseable link like a 100a fuse that may have taken the blunt and could be your problem. I'm sure someone here will have the answer...hang in there and good luck

Last edited:

John Hernly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the response and help! I missed out on boating this weekend but want to get back soon.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Did you find out what was wrong?

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Hello,
I hooked the battery up backwards (neg to pos, pos to neg) and blew the battery fuse along with the accessory fuse. Swapped those out and engine will now crank but will not start. The fuel fuse and all the other fuses look good. Is there anything else I should check?
Thanks,
John
Lanyard?

John Hernly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Double checked lanyard. I don’t think it would crank. It’s definitely a fuel issue not firing.

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check your wet storage locker, there is a safety interlock to prevent the boat from cranking anytime it is open. You may have damaged that switch when you reversed your battery leads. You can jumper around the switch to see if it is the issue.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check your wet storage locker, there is a safety interlock to prevent the boat from cranking anytime it is open. You may have damaged that switch when you reversed your battery leads. You can jumper around the switch to see if it is the issue.
I thought the wet storage locker safety switch kills the starter entirely since the impeller would still spin otherwise when you tried to crank it. That would be a huge safety issue. He can crank it just won't turn over.

Last edited:

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This likely wont help, but it is something to pass on. Years ago, I did the same thing with my bass boat. When it wouldn't start, and thinking it was ignition related, I bought a used "black box" and had a boat mechanic install it.When we tried to start the boat, it immediately smoked the replacement box. When I got the boat home, I figured out my mistake and installed the battery correctly. I reinstalled the old black box and the motor fired up and ran fine until I sold the boat. To this day, I do not know why the reversed battery leads smoked one black box and not the other. Just something to pass on.
The experience did little for my opinion of boat mechanics either. He should have spotted my error before I finally did.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello,
Thanks,
John
When you try to crank do the gauges cycle from 0 to max and back to 0? If not, you are probably going to need a new ECU.

Robby

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did this ever get resolved? I am having the same exact symptoms.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

TeeBo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I’m running into the same issue as y’all have posted here on a 2016 AR192. I know it’s an old thread, but what was the resolution? All fuses check out good. All of the relays check out good.

TeeBo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I’m running into the same issue as y’all have posted here on a 2016 AR192. I know it’s an old thread, but what was the resolution? All fuses check out good. All of the relays check out good.
I also checked to see if there was power to the fuel pump when I turn the ignition on, but there was none.