• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR195 "exhaust clamps"

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just heard from my service adviser. My boat is in for some yearly maintenance. oil change and such. They told me of two issues. One is some sort of coupler or rubber piece that has to do with the impeller is swelling and needs to be replaced, this is a known issue and covered under warranty. The other thing he brought up was exhaust hose clamps. He said they are rusting and need to be replaced, if not they could come lose and exhaust gases would escape, be noticeable to passengers in the boat etc. He says they are located under the access panel under the swim deck. I am pretty certain I know what he is talking about. I am a pretty handy and mechanically inclined guy, I wrench on cars often. I think I am going to tackle this project myself as they want $250 for parts and labor. Has anyone else experienced this? The boat is only 2 years old, but 90% of its use is in saltwater.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd be interested to better understand the coupler/rubber piece they are replacing, we've not heard of that issue before,

I wouldn't doubt the clamps are rusting or showing some rust, I doubt the exhaust gas death theory though, that's spreading it on a little thick, although if one of your cooling hoses comes off you could have issues,

If you're handy it's easy to repair yourself, maybe check out the threads of adding a second bilge pump to see what it looks like under the panel but's it probably would be a good idea to replace every clamp you see, even in the engine compartment with stainless steel since you're primarily salt water usage,

it might be a good time to add a second bilge pump,

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Actually rusted hose clamps in general are a very common problem and have been for a long time, not only with Yamaha but other makes as well. I even spray them with white lithium grease to slow the process but I had to replace numerous rusted clamps this year so use good clamps and do them yourself. Back them up with a good heavy duty cable tie as well.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There is a vibration dampener in between the engine coupler and the drive shaft coupler I would guess this is what he is talking about but I have never had one go bad even with 680 hours on them. looks like this

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any chance it's the impeller wear ring on the pump that's swelling? that's the only impeller part I know that swells and can cause issues. For the clamps, If you are mechanically inclined and would like to save $200 do it yourself. it's probably one of the easiest $200 jobs there are.

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went in yesterday and spoke to them in person. Yes it is the impeller wear ring that is swelling and should be covered by yamaha warranty.

I also was able to see these clamps he was talking about and yes they are rusted, but a very easy fix

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I went in yesterday and spoke to them in person. Yes it is the impeller wear ring that is swelling and should be covered by yamaha warranty.

I also was able to see these clamps he was talking about and yes they are rusted, but a very easy fix
Can you take a picture of the the rusted clamps so I can get a better idea where I am looking.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you remove your manhole covers next to your cleanout plug you should be able to look down and see your water box/exhaust,

you may have to pull that whole cleanout tray deck top up to see all the clamps,

You should also be looking at all your clamps in the engine bay,

2017 Yamaha AR195 (RP1800AS) Jet Unit 4 | Yamaha Sports Plaza