• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR195 tow hitch height?

Rsuburu

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hi all,
I'm a soon to be proud new owner of a 2022 AR195. I will be driving an hour to get it and want to make sure I have the right ball mount height on my Subaru Ascent. The top of the tow hitch receiver sits at 24" and 22" at the bottom. I'd like to make sure it's level when towing it home, but it's in a storage yard until I pick it up, so the dealer can't give me an answer to what that height. Any advice on the actual trailer hitch height when level, or proper ball mount drop if you have an Ascent would be helpful.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hi all,
I'm a soon to be proud new owner of a 2022 AR195. I will be driving an hour to get it and want to make sure I have the right ball mount height on my Subaru Ascent. The top of the tow hitch receiver sits at 24" and 22" at the bottom. I'd like to make sure it's level when towing it home, but it's in a storage yard until I pick it up, so the dealer can't give me an answer to what that height. Any advice on the actual trailer hitch height when level, or proper ball mount drop if you have an Ascent would be helpful.
2021 195S on a standard shorelandr trailer is 19.5 (as I recall, don’t have the trailer any longer I upgraded) My Yukon is a little lower on hitch center and with tongue weight and squat, mine is perfect with a 2” drop and a 2” ball.

Rsuburu

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
2021 195S on a standard shorelandr trailer is 19.5 (as I recall, don’t have the trailer any longer I upgraded) My Yukon is a little lower on hitch center and with tongue weight and squat, mine is perfect with a 2” drop and a 2” ball.
Thanks, we're super excited to go get it... but since it's winter, the dealer is being kind enough to hold it for us until we're ready to pick it up. I have plenty of other accessories to buy (or add to my christmas list) in the meantime. Pictures will definitely be coming.

I grabbed a ball mount with a 4" drop so hopefully that works well enough. Fingers crossed.

Affinity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Were you able to verify height?
I have a 2022 195s delivering soon and have the same question.
mine will have a galvanized trailer if that matters!

I need the height at the bottom of the trailer tongue.
thanks.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have moved to this ball mount. The initial buy seems steep but it will haul anything level and you always have the correct ball size. This has replaced all of my other ball mounts (4 trailers plus any trailer I buy in the future or sell in the future). When you do the math it is less expensive if you have two trailers with different tongue heights and two ball sizes and you are ready for any other trailer you may buy or rent. Just my humble opinion.

Scroll down and you can build the hitch you want. Etrailer.com usually has a good deal on them.

Affinity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Any reason to get a sway bar for a 195S ?

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hi all,
WV Hillbilly is on the money. We have ours at the same height 19.5 on our 195s.

Affinity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I’m waiting on my 2022 195s.
dealer told me 20” hitch height.
my Pilot sits at 20” with no squat.
with 330 pounds on it (tongue weight) it’s 18.5” with squat.
so don’t forget the squat when you determine your hitch drop or rise.

Affinity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I’m waiting on my 2022 195s.
dealer told me 20” hitch height.
my Pilot sits at 20” with no squat.
with 330 pounds on it (tongue weight) it’s 18.5” with squat.
so don’t forget the squat when you determine your hitch drop or rise.
Also - I got a “Rockerball” 2” for my hitch.
I ended up doing a 3/4” rise with the rockerball. The rockerball adds about 1.5” of height to a normal ball.
So my pilot was 20” top of square. With a 3/4” rise and 1.5” increase because of rockerball ball, that puts me at 22.25” my squat is 1.5 - 2”. So with squat my pilot will be back down to 20.25”. Dealer told me 20”, so I’m just about perfect.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Also - I got a “Rockerball” 2” for my hitch.
I ended up doing a 3/4” rise with the rockerball. The rockerball adds about 1.5” of height to a normal ball.
So my pilot was 20” top of square. With a 3/4” rise and 1.5” increase because of rockerball ball, that puts me at 22.25” my squat is 1.5 - 2”. So with squat my pilot will be back down to 20.25”. Dealer told me 20”, so I’m just about perfect.
You should be great. When you get into the 3-4” inch plus/minus out of level you start seeing problems. I don’t mind a little nose heavy if I miss on anything. Stuff really tows badly when you are way too high on the hitch and start dropping tongue weight. It gets very squirrelly with a single axle trailer at that point. All of these small trailers, especially utility trailers, going down the road looking like they are popping a wheelie are as dangerous as a cocked cannon. IMHO.

Rsuburu

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Update here. Ended up using a 6"drop hitch and it's perfect! IMG_9070 copy.jpg

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Interesting thread - I’ve had nothing but problems with my Sh@tlander. Following

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Interesting thread - I’ve had nothing but problems with my Sh@tlander. Following
I got rid of mine. I understand the concept of keeping the trailers short enough to fit in a garage BUT the longer the trailer usually the better it pulls. I have a hard time feeling comfortable with single axle trailers at highway speed, all I can think about is a sharp rock or a pothole exploding one of the tires and trying to get the rig stopped before it sways across two lanes of traffic. IMHO, if you are going to pull more than 50 miles a good investment is a tandem trailer if you have room to store it.

Espy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I got rid of mine. I understand the concept of keeping the trailers short enough to fit in a garage BUT the longer the trailer usually the better it pulls. I have a hard time feeling comfortable with single axle trailers at highway speed, all I can think about is a sharp rock or a pothole exploding one of the tires and trying to get the rig stopped before it sways across two lanes of traffic. IMHO, if you are going to pull more than 50 miles a good investment is a tandem trailer if you have room to store it.
Do you have a pic of your upgraded trailer?

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
When I had my 2015 Kia Sedona, I ordered a 6" drop / 4" rise receiver, I had to use the 4" rise on the Sedona to keep everything level, and when we upgraded to our 2022 Yukon XL, I had to flip the receiver over to the 6" drop and it worked perfect.

#loveitwhenaplancomestogether

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you just place a level on the trailer frame in order to gauge whether or not it's "level?"

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I did not use a level on the frame rails. I was more less looking for the bottom the the receiver to be as close to center line on the rear wheel center cap as possible (realize these new Yukon XL's come with factory 22" wheels). If there was any difference, I would rather have it tongue high slightly to allow for any water to drain from the rear drain plugs.

1651842524244.png

Going a few years back, I had a 2002 Yukon XL that had a factory auto leveling rear suspension that would adjust the ride height if it sensed added weight on the rear.

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tow with a 4runner and I honestly haven't paid much attention to the hitch height, but I'm guessing it's high and I could probably benefit from a drop hitch like yours.