• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR230 catalytic converter removal, bypass or just Help!!!

QCI Sean

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone removed the catalytic converter from their AR230, SX230 or any 4 stroke post 2007 Yamaha? This question will only apply to those living in CA and NY, since those are the only states that required cats for these boats (I don't need the haters to chime in from AZ, so please save yourself the time to hate on CA).

I have a 2008 AR230HO and I was getting the error code for a blocked cat on my port motor. I ordered a new cat (a grand) and when I went to install it, the existing one was totally open and fine. I still ended up putting the new one in, since it was non-returnable, but I am concerned that I will run into the same issues again once on the water since the original one had no signs of blockage.

I have found articles about adding a D-plate and chip to older 2 stroke Yamahas when pulling out the cat, but nothing for my boat. If I have to, I may end up hollowing out my original cat, but am hoping not to have to do that if possible. At least I will have the other one if I screw something up though.

before changing out the cat, the boat would run fine unless I had it at WOT for 20 seconds or longer. If I had it wide open, the exhaust would overheat on my port motor and eventually blow the motor if it was to go unnoticed that the dummy light was blinking (don’t ask me how I know this)

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe this may be the only thread about cats on a boat engine on this site! I have an 08 as well... glad I dont have them.

Rob2021

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Has anyone removed the catalytic converter from their AR230, SX230 or any 4 stroke post 2007 Yamaha? This question will only apply to those living in CA and NY, since those are the only states that required cats for these boats (I don't need the haters to chime in from AZ, so please save yourself the time to hate on CA).

I have a 2008 AR230HO and I was getting the error code for a blocked cat on my port motor. I ordered a new cat (a grand) and when I went to install it, the existing one was totally open and fine. I still ended up putting the new one in, since it was non-returnable, but I am concerned that I will run into the same issues again once on the water since the original one had no signs of blockage.

I have found articles about adding a D-plate and chip to older 2 stroke Yamahas when pulling out the cat, but nothing for my boat. If I have to, I may end up hollowing out my original cat, but am hoping not to have to do that if possible. At least I will have the other one if I screw something up though.

before changing out the cat, the boat would run fine unless I had it at WOT for 20 seconds or longer. If I had it wide open, the exhaust would overheat on my port motor and eventually blow the motor if it was to go unnoticed that the dummy light was blinking (don’t ask me how I know this)

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!!
I have two cat warnings on both of my engines on my 2015 212ss (sandy its the California model). Were you able to bypass the cats somehow?

QCI Sean

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have two cat warnings on both of my engines on my 2015 212ss (sandy its the California model). Were you able to bypass the cats somehow?
No, I wasn't able to bypass the cat. After replacing it, and it running exactly the same as it did before, after taking it out a few more times, it just stoped overheating on me. I am starting to think that it was sand stuck in one of the pee hole lines that was blocking the water flow and not the cat itself. I think that the line just cleared itself out over time, so it stopped overheating.
After the problem stopped, I put my boat up for sale and sold it at the top of the market over this past summer and bought a 2008 212X to replace it. I have since gotten the interior redone and will be listing the 212X for sale, as I just bought a 25' Eliminator that is more my kind of boat, to do up in the 80's on the water to get across those larger lakes faster.
Good luck with your boat though and try running fishing line down the pee hole lines. That may end up fixing it, even though it is claiming to be the cat that is bad (both of them).

QCI Sean

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe this may be the only thread about cats on a boat engine on this site! I have an 08 as well... glad I dont have them.
Yeah, it is the only thread that I had found on all of the internet. It must be Very rare for them to fail.