• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Audi Q5 tow lights not working // Fixed //

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2014 Audi Q5 TDI

I had an independent Audi/VW shop OEM hitch installed with OEM 7 round light connector. I was very specific about asking that the computer be reset to add the tow lights. He informed me he had done a Q7 a few weeks earlier and it shouldn't be a problem.

He installed it, updated the coding but said he couldn't test it because he didn't have a trailer and didn't want to use multimeter to test for fear of back feeding, he assured me it was "probably" ok,

I bought a U-Haul 7 to 5 adapter for "European" cars to recognize LED's (and also another LED adapter from Academy) (not the Curt brand on the Audi website)

Turn signals work and that's it.

no running lights
and when we step on the brake I get the "trailer brake light" for a moment then just the orange bulb with the X

Before I bothered him to much I was wondering if anybody knew this was probably a coding issue or the UHaul adapter is probably junk and I should buy the Curt first.

@veedubtek or anybody ??

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20190401_165906.jpg

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Without seeing it, my money is on adapter. If it wasn't coded, it wouldn't give you the warning for it. LED tails can be tricky for the OEM modules sometimes.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Shoot.

If it is like my old Q7 you would need the factory trailering module, in addition to OEM harness. In my case the only way I could find it and have it done was by purchasing a bundle (hitch, module, harness/plug - all OEM) and having a dealer install and program/reflash.
I tried everything (short of flying @veedubtek over to STL which would have been cheaper even in first class, lol), so I'm not going to tell you how much I ended up spending. It was a $hit show.

--

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't forgot your story which is why I told myself to go all OEM, hitch, harness, programming,

I thought I could at least get away with a aftermarket 7 to 5 adapter, going today to order buy the curt (from Audi website) 7 to 5 adapter,

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It’s definitely a VAG product, the check engine light is on.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
[/USER]

What are you towing with your Q5?
[/QUOTE]

A jetski and small utility trailer

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Not sure if any of this is related, but I have a Q7 and installed the hitch and wired the lights myself. No ECU program changes were necessary.

That comment you were given about not using a multimeter for fear of backfeed was BS. One meter terminal to ground and one to hot wire will not backfeed any current.

You might want to check which lights they wired into or programmed to memic. The Q5 may be different but when the hatch is open the tail lights go from the hatch lights to the bumper lights. I found out the hard way because I initially wired into the bumper lights because they were on (hatch open) and easier to access. Trailer tail lights would work with hatch open then go off when hatch was closed.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can get a tester cheap for the 7 pin socket at an auto parts store. Plug it in and check the vehicle and start there to trouble shoot.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure if any of this is related, but I have a Q7 and installed the hitch and wired the lights myself. No ECU program changes were necessary.

That comment you were given about not using a multimeter for fear of backfeed was BS. One meter terminal to ground and one to hot wire will not backfeed any current.

You might want to check which lights they wired into or programmed to memic. The Q5 may be different but when the hatch is open the tail lights go from the hatch lights to the bumper lights. I found out the hard way because I initially wired into the bumper lights because they were on (hatch open) and easier to access. Trailer tail lights would work with hatch open then go off when hatch was closed.
That’s great!
How did you get around the system (park assist) to NOT recognize the trailer or even empty hitch as an obstacle?
Does Shorelandr trailer have all LED lights? I remember having an issue with loads, but Audi also uses some kind of pulse voltages.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Parking assist does see the trailer as an object in reverse and beeps but is not affecting the system where it automatically brakes the car. I read something when I was installing the light wiring about the ECU learning. Maybe it knows whatever is there is ok. I have not had any parking assist issues when backing the trailer.

If I ever remove the hitch I may have an issue with the parking assist not stopping before I back into something. 😮

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Just thought of something. Maybe the park assist is not braking the car because the object detect distance is constant.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's fixed, finally was able to take the jetski trailer with the car to the mechanic just to be sure it was working before I was sent on my way again,

funny thing, when I originally hooked up the jetski to test I was also able to get running lights, just no brakes, when I tested it on the boat I had neither running lights or brake lights,

I never was able to see the computer screen but the mechanic said one item was still set to "rest of the world", once he changed that to US it worked,