• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Auto Discharge Fire Extinguisher

__ScottyDont

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I've thought about placing an auto-discharge fire extinguisher in the engine bay because who am I kidding, I'll be jumping off the boat before I open the engine hatch to put out any kind of fire. Especially with the fuel tank so close by.

I was looking at this product:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|135|2290089|2290091&id=1772755

However, it auto-discharges at 175 deg F, anyone know how close our engine bays get to that on a normal day?

I thought about doing that too....but haven't. I also thought about adding what the new boats have....but haven't yet either.....a fire extinguisher port

1051.jpg

tahoe_Q5_fire.jpg

Not sure about the 175 degree auto-discharge temp. Sometimes the outdoor temps where I boat get up to 125 degrees all on its own.

But that fire extinguisher port that @Julian posted is a great idea.

Those Fireboy systems work well but at a cost. They require a yearly or bi yearly inspection and trigger replacement. I usually pay around $90 to have one inspected in a Mastercraft. I guess you could go 5 years without inspecting it, then what's the point of having it?

Oh wow, you need to get them inspected that often? Thats crazy! I understand checking the gauges and all but wow. I already plan on getting the Fire-Port

Inspections are required only by manufacturer recommendations, even on fire extinguishers. I need to re certify this sort of equipment on larger vessels to satisfy the insurance company who requires a yearly inspection of all onboard systems.

So, like I said, get either one but you should get them inspected at least every couple of years.

I don't think you can get halon but they do make other types that have the same effect. The owners manual for my 2013 recommends having the coast guard required extinguisher as well as a "clean" type extinguisher to use in the fireport.

I think Scotty's idea is the best "I'll be jumping off the boat before I open the engine hatch to put out any kind of fire."
Our boats are just too small and fiberglass burns too quickly to be able to effectively fight fire.

Fire ports are awesome! I bought a 1-3/4" hole saw for an external power port. Been wondering about using that to make a fire port. Not sure how to trim it out. @Julian can u aftermarket that port?

Then maybe a high temp audable sensor is all you need ?

Just remember to shut off your blower before you try to fight the fire with the #fire_extinguisher.

My plan is to waste an extinguisher through the fire port, then I will be overboard with everyone else after radioing for help... The port is on the side closest to the fuel tanks, so probably has the best effectiveness there. Best case it puts it out. Worst case it stalls it some to let everyone else get a safer distance.

Just remember to shut off your blower before you try to fight the fire with the #fire_extinguisher.

My plan is to waste an extinguisher through the fire port, then I will be overboard with everyone else after radioing for help... The port is on the side closest to the fuel tanks, so probably has the best effectiveness there. Best case it puts it out. Worst case it stalls it some to let everyone else get a safer distance.

Agreeing with you and everyone above, fireport seems to really be the way to go with our boat size.

I believe the fire port is located in the engine hatch down near the floor right (my boat didn't come with one but I'm considering adding one)?

Anyone know if a normal extinguisher will discharge properly when held on its side? (Because with the port that low, you won't be able to hold it vertically.) I suspect it might not. A fire extinguisher has a tube running from the nozzle to the bottom of the bottle where it picks up the agent. If you hold it on its side, the agent will be lying on its side of the bottle and the tube will quickly come out of the agent and you'll just be blowing propellant into the engine bay.

At least I'm concerned that might happen... Anyone have any experience with this?

If not, I think we've got a fire extinguisher training class coming up at work. I'll talk to the guy then.

If my theory is correct, that fire port might be a false sense of security. We may need a different type of extinguisher for it to be effective.

@biglar155 has a very good point. That is where it is. If you talk to the extinguisher reps, do post back!

Another key function of the fire port is to be able to see a bit into the engine compartment without opening the engine hatch (thus giving a potential fire a big dose of oxygen). Though I expect you would be able to tell from the smoke... If you were not sure, you can see in a bit.

I think they will all work on their side to a certain point, then the powder will not get up and out of the extinguisher -- kind of like trying to shoot Windex out of the spray bottle when it gets low, you need the liquid to be where the pick up tube is at.

I just spoke to our local fire extinguisher rep. He confirmed that you will only get about 1/3 of the agent out of the bottle if it is on its side. He said that the same thing is true of the "halotron" clean agent type. Sounds like Yamaha should be mounting this port quite a bit higher. I'm planning to get the halotron as well as the coast guard required unit. That way I will at least have a backup.

What about a CO2 extinguisher? Not as effective on oil fires, but I bet you get a full discharge and likely smother whatever fire is there...

I just spoke to our local fire extinguisher rep. He confirmed that you will only get about 1/3 of the agent out of the bottle if it is on its side. He said that the same thing is true of the "halotron" clean agent type. ...

Yeah, that was my concern. If you've ever actually USED a fire extinguisher you know how preciously little agent is in them to begin with - even the larger ones. 1/3 of the contents of our little extinguishers wouldn't do much I'm afraid. Thanks for checking on this!

Back