• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Backing up

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone have good tips for controlled backing up with these boats?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Power and plenty of it lol! I don't do a lot of controlled backing up I use reverse mostly as a pivot control to get into a forward gear. I did back off the dock with a pretty strong current pulling back towards the dock today in that situation I kick the rear of the boat hard off the dock and apply plenty of power to make sure the boat will reverse in the direction I want. Usually as soon as I can I use reverse to pivot a turn around to go forward. What situations are you facing that require a controlled reverse that may help some give some more input? The below video is exactly how I handle reversing and docking it maybe a little boring but really great information

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's what I was after. It seems to me that these boats don't do well when backing; as in the video into a slip.

I guess it's just practice and to get the feel of what the boat is going to do.

I'm used to a lake with no no wake zones and it was a challenge to even hit the trailer square when loading due to waves from other boaters. Now I live on a canal and it's usually smooth with no traffic which is great.

My only concern now would be pulling into a public dock or restaurant and trying to do it like a pro and not look like a moron. Lol

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
backing into a slip even on a prop boat is a tricky task I did for years on my old prop boat and it was a process I took very slowly and carefully. I have had an easier time docking this boat then the old prop boat just by following the same rules as in the video I pull the front first then use reverse to pivot back to the dock. It's all about taking it slow and easy but I agree when wake and currents get thrown in it can be a stressful spot on any boat.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Turn the wheel the direction you want the stern to go and use one throttle only if trying to slow walk it. Remember though that idle thrust acts like forward steering with respect to the wheel. It can be a bit tricky at times..,

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Additionally, the way these boats pivot on axis really allows you to pull straight in towards your spot and then spin the boat and back right in. There is no need to attempt to "back" the boat towards the dock.

Ajax

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When backing up I often leave one throttle in "neutral " and apply thrust to the other. This method really gets boat to responded quickly and drastically.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
In most instances, your really dragging the boat backwards when backing up. What little keel we have wants to maintain the direction it is pointed before you start this process, so turning the wheel can pivot the stern but may not, depending on any wind, current, or other wake action. And the slightest breeze can counter your inputs and neutralize them. Stow the bimini, it is a BIG SAIL! Your best control is in forward thrust, so the act of backing into a slip needs to be preceded by positioning the boat by pivoting it by alternating forward/backward thrust and wheel position. Once aligned, pull the boat backwards into the slip. If you have any breeze, this is going to inevitably be a challenge, and have to allow for drift. I like what @jawsf16 mentioned about using a single throttle, because it lets you move more slowly, still in control. I have mentioned wind several times now...if you have any, you may be forced to be more aggressive in order to place the boat where you want it without allowing time to drift out of position. For golfers, an analogy would be to a breaking putt. You have two options, let the ball die at the hole, following the fall of the green, or putting firmly, taking some of the break out of it, but making it absolutely necessary to put the ball in the back of the cup or you will spin out. That is very similar to maneuvering this boat in the wind. If you move slowly and let the wind put 100% influence on you, you have to have put it along the correct path to begin with for it to arrive where you want it at the end...or...you can be a little more aggressive with the throttle and speed, and have more authority against the wind, but you better be perfect, because your moving faster towards the point of impact! All in all, this is a feel thing with any boat. The more experience you get the better you get, but you can still be embarrassed...just don't be afraid to back off and try again. Just know when you reach the point of no return and either continue regardless, or abandon the approach. The best advice I could give anyone, is to practice when conditions are calm, both wind and traffic. The same principles will apply in more challenging conditions but you will have to be more on your game! This boat is more fun to maneuver than any boat I have owned before...but don't push a bad position!

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't back in all that often so I usually have to practice at it a few times to regain the skills. The biggest thing I've learned over the years is as Mel Said, "practice when it's calm" and when in doubt, don't be too proud if things don't look right to go our and start all over. I've found it's way easier to go out and try the entire approach again, than it is to have to spend 30 minutes buffing out the gelcoat because I hit the dock.

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I back in to our slip and it is always a tricky maneuver. You must have the boat in the right alignment before you begin backing. If you lose your positioning start again. Recovering from a bad start is hard and will most often result in a bump and a scratch or gouge. I'm pretty good at backing but no matter how good you are with these boats you will still look like a rank amateur now and again. Suck it up its part of boating. Better to look like you need to try again than to run her stern first into something or bounce around the slip like you are playing Jet-boat pinball.
Here are The Evildwarf's tips on good reversing....(people pay good money for these secrets, you get them for free my friend)....
1. I drift my boat to lose speed as I aproach the area where I'm going to line her up. Start your manuever from a stationary position.
2. Short bursts of propulsion will maintain your boats desired directional attitude without adding speed to the equation. Think of it as "popping" your boat back on the line you want to maintain. A quick burst of thrust in the OPPOSITE direction from where you want to be will correct her right back into line. A quick burst of thrust in forward is good for immediate course correction....reverse thrust will also do but is not as immediately effective.
3. Correct early...by the time you realise you are losing your line it is almost too late...apply thrust immediately as needed...these boats are great for close quarters manuevering but you have to stay on top of her or she will drift off line
4. remember you are "steering" the stern, dragging is more like it
5. Line her up, initiate manuever, drift, correct, drift, correct...this isn't a space shuttle but very similar in directional caracteristics...I know, I've seen plenty of space movies.
6. Practice.
7. Buy a gel coat repair kit...fenders and a spotter are good to.
Follow these tips and you will be backing like the Dwarf in no time....and see #7
Disclaimer: any wind, waves, current, or intoxicants will render this post null and void...see #7.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I backed ours in the slip for years.

One trick I found that made all the difference for me was simply using the two throttles to steer when backing in (I just centered the steering wheel). Think of parentheses "( )" around the throttles. The boat will go in the direction of the parentheses based on the throttle position. As I got more used to using the throttles I also started to steer to help the control even more. Using the throttles helps me react to wind etc. much better. There are some good youtubes as well that are worth while watching. I use the throttles for all low speed steering going forward or backwards.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Practice.. Patience... Slowly.... Very small adjustments and time. You too can amaze everyone with your maneuvering prowess..
Oh and start off parallel to the slip from a complete standstill in the beginning.
Steve

Dhow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi all good advice. Here is my 2 cents I put mine in wake zone quick bursts forward and reverse to get boat ready back into slip I have one person with hock/push pole. I have found this boat easier than stern drive. On calm day no problem solo. I love that I am not slamming gears going from forward to reverse . Good luck