• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bad Acceleration to Plane from Start

Jetboat4life

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This past weekend the boat would'nt plane like it used to (3 to 4 sec). Now it will just high rev on full throttle..almost like a slipping clutch in a car would feel like. I can go to 5krpm and it will go good..then gradually get to 8k where it still hits 48mph. Ive checked the ports and found no obstructions. What could cause this? I checked the impeller ports and didnt see any visible nicks scratches. Ive got about 110hrs on the boat. This would plane very quickly..now it takes about 10 to 12 sec to get going.

Any help would be great..any questions please let me know.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check for any loose of missing chunks of sealant around pump. Sometimes sealant is lost and it allows air into the pump, which can cause cavitation on hard starts.

Last edited:

Jetboat4life

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
do you have a picture for reference? Or point me in the right direction..

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
have you been in any sand lately? I was stuck in some low sand a while back and gunned it to get out and had the exact same symptoms. replaced my impellers and been good since. the sand sanded or bent my impellers just enough to be out of spec, they still look brand new. you can check with a feeler gauge

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Any other symptoms while accelerating? Louder than usual, vibration, etc.?

Jetboat4life

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Im guessing they may just be out of spec..Is this covered under warranty?

Jetboat4life

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Any other symptoms while accelerating? Louder than usual, vibration, etc.?
No vibrations. Just full throttle to 8k..it kinda hangs a little but then eventually planes. Still runs 45+. So I push it to 5k to get up and going then. We I hit about 35 mph I push it to 7.5k. Reverse feels strong If I can recall.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I doubt impeller damage is going to be covered under warranty,
It's easier and less time to fix it yourself anyways, where are you at maybe a local member could help you,

I wouldn't discount the sealant or air intrusion without more investigation,

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry, no pictures, but if you examine the surfaces where the pump meets the boat (much easier to do when you pull the pump out) you will see some sealant used to fill gaps around the fiberglass opening. It's generally obvious when it dislodges, and you can see a missing chunk of a piece of stingy sealant still half attached.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Check your clean out plugs. I had a similar issue and it turned out the plug was not sealing up. Sprayed some silicon on it , reinstalled and problem solved.