• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bad ECU

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got my 2005 AR230HO at the beach with me on vacation and of course on day 3 of 10 I'm having engine problems. I was noticing smoke out of the starboard engine that I never saw before as well as the RPMs being down on that engine compared to the other engine when in the past they sync pretty closely when throttles are in the same position. Oil level also seemed to be rising on that engine. Used YDS software to test injectors and #2 clicks once and I assume stays open versus clicking constantly like the others. I ohm tested injector 1 and 2 and they are identical 13 on my tester(manual calls for 11.5-12.5). I swapped those injectors and #2 is still the problem. I'm assuming the ECU is the problem. Is there anything else I should test before I remove the ECU and send it off for repairs? I don't expect to get the boat running while were on vacation but I'd like to get moving on repairs so I at least have a chance of getting back on the water before fall comes.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got my 2005 AR230HO at the beach with me on vacation and of course on day 3 of 10 I'm having engine problems. I was noticing smoke out of the starboard engine that I never saw before as well as the RPMs being down on that engine compared to the other engine when in the past they sync pretty closely when throttles are in the same position. Oil level also seemed to be rising on that engine. Used YDS software to test injectors and #2 clicks once and I assume stays open versus clicking constantly like the others. I ohm tested injector 1 and 2 and they are identical 13 on my tester(manual calls for 11.5-12.5). I swapped those injectors and #2 is still the problem. I'm assuming the ECU is the problem. Is there anything else I should test before I remove the ECU and send it off for repairs? I don't expect to get the boat running while were on vacation but I'd like to get moving on repairs so I at least have a chance of getting back on the water before fall comes.
I haven't had a failure yet myself, suggest contacting Carmo Electronics, The place for parts or electronics for your Motorbike Quad Scooter Car or Jetski to arrange for repair.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
are your oil milky? white smoke means its steam

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
are your oil milky? white smoke means its steam
No water in the oil. We took some oil out of each engine because the previous owner must have overfilled both engines a little. After letting the oil sit for a day in clear bottles, there are no signs of milkiness or water separation.

Last edited:

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No water in the oil. We took some oil out of each engine because the precious owner must have overfilled both engines a little. After letting the oil sit for a day in clear bottles, there are no signs of milkiness or water separation.
check the filters. If you have too much oil you might have splashed oil and that will explain the RPM drop. The filter might look clean but the oil might have gotten sucked in and still cause RPM drop.
you can alway take the boat for a test run without the filters and se if you have the same issue

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
check the filters. If you have too much oil you might have splashed oil and that will explain the RPM drop. The filter might look clean but the oil might have gotten sucked in and still cause RPM drop.
you can alway take the boat for a test run without the filters and se if you have the same issue
Filters were removed 2 days ago because they were soaked with oil. We took some oil out and removed filters and it ran better for a little while till this occurred. The smoke was only at idle, when there was more fuel being put in the cylinder than burned. At higher rpms I couldn't see smoke, I assume a higher percentage of that excess fuel was being burned. I plan to pull the ECU tonight and send it out tomorrow for testing and repairs.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pulled the ECU and shipped it out. There was water in the box. Not what I would consider a lot but obviously enough to cause issues. Need to look into how to prevent this. Thinking about a plastic splash guard that would direct any water that comes in the rear, over and past the ECU boxes.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it was overfilled with oil, the feed pump will fill the oil cooler and pump oil out of the top of the oil cooler via the oil separator and up through the breather tube coming into the bottom of the air case. That is what @Betik is referring to. The ECU is probably not a problem. Until that breather tube is open and the strip filter it plugs into at the bottom of the air case can breathe again, the problem will remain.

1628359932268.png
Observe C in the square box

1628360103818.png
The long shape between 9. and 9. at the top is the strip filter that the breather tube plugs into. Perhaps the breather tube could be disconnected at the oil separator and compressed air could clear the tube and strip filter.

That is how my 2007 SX230 is set up. I think it is quite similar to the 2005 SX.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it was overfilled with oil, the feed pump will fill the oil cooler and pump oil out of the top of the oil cooler via the oil separator and up through the breather tube coming into the bottom of the air case. That is what @Betik is referring to. The ECU is probably not a problem. Until that breather tube is open and the strip filter it plugs into at the bottom of the air case can breathe again, the problem will remain.

View attachment 159381
Observe C in the square box

View attachment 159382
The long shape between 9. and 9. at the top is the strip filter that the breather tube plugs into. Perhaps the breather tube could be disconnected at the oil separator and compressed air could clear the tube and strip filter.

That is how my 2007 SX230 is set up. I think it is quite similar to the 2005 SX.
Using YDS software showed injector 2 getting stuck open. I swapped injectors and the problem remained. It smoked and left a gassy smelling and looking trail at idle. I will be draining the oil and refilling correctly but I'm pretty the injector output is bad. There also was water in the ECU box.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Water in the ECU can be a problem…..

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pulled the ECU and shipped it out. There was water in the box. Not what I would consider a lot but obviously enough to cause issues. Need to look into how to prevent this. Thinking about a plastic splash guard that would direct any water that comes in the rear, over and past the ECU boxes.
Some people just put a strip of duct tape across the top of the ECU. I’d recommend wrapping it down each side a few inches also, but that should be all that’s needed to prevent water ingestion. Sorry about your misfortune, hopefully you can be back out on the water this season still.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you ever lose the drain hose that directs water from the engine bay "ledge" to the rear deck? Did you ever sink the boat? The 07-09 hulls seem to protect the ECU quite a bit from water intrusion *from above* due to the ECU placement, (and I have an 08) so I'm very curious on where that water might be coming from. based on the shape of the engine bay it should not be from above, but I could be wrong. Any theories on how the water made it in there?

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you ever lose the drain hose that directs water from the engine bay "ledge" to the rear deck? Did you ever sink the boat? The 07-09 hulls seem to protect the ECU quite a bit from water intrusion *from above* due to the ECU placement, (and I have an 08) so I'm very curious on where that water might be coming from. based on the shape of the engine bay it should not be from above, but I could be wrong. Any theories on how the water made it in there?
I've only had the boat since May and only had it in the water a handle full of times but no, I've never sunk it or seen much water in the engine bay. I suspect it coming over the top upon sudden stops, especially when weighted down with ballast for surfing.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some people just put a strip of duct tape across the top of the ECU. I’d recommend wrapping it down each side a few inches also, but that should be all that’s needed to prevent water ingestion. Sorry about your misfortune, hopefully you can be back out on the water this season still.
That sounds like a simple but effective solution. Yes, I'm going to be able to get back on the water a couple times in September.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2021-08-30 22.43.03.jpg

ECU is back. Total cost was around $435 shipped both ways. Should get put in the boat this weekend but probably won't get to the water until the following weekend.

Robb235

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length