• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bad Oil Filters

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I purchased two hiflo filtro rc racing filters for my annual oil change. I liked that they had the nut on the end because my oil filter wrench sucks!

I found a lot of oil in my bilge after running my boat pretty hard during my offshore fishing trip. Got everything cleaned up and discovered the leak was from the port engine oil filter where the welded nut is. So I replaced filter and added oil to engine.

I had the same thing happen again except with the starboard engine oil filter yesterday! So I had two oil filters fail within days of each other!

I will not be buying this brand any more. I have purchased yamaha filters to replace them. Anyone else have any issues with there oil filters leaking?

Attachments

Last edited:

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No issues with the Yamaha filters. I buy the oil change kits from local dealer. I only hand tighten the filter; use a piece of sandpaper and wrap around it when I change the oil and remove the old by hand too.

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No issues with the Yamaha filters. I buy the oil change kits from local dealer. I only hand tighten the filter; use a piece of sandpaper and wrap around it when I change the oil and remove the old by hand too.
I will try that. I did not use the welded nut on the new filter to install. I am sure I did not over tighten them. But I will definitely try the sandpaper trick when I get the new yamaha filters.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I purchased two hiflo filtro rc racing filters for my annual oil change. I liked that they had the nut on the end because my oil filter wrench sucks!

I found a lot of oil in my bilge after running my boat pretty hard during my offshore fishing trip. Got everything cleaned up and discovered the leak was from the port engine oil filter where the welded nut is. So I replaced filter and added oil to engine.

I had the same thing happen again except with the starboard engine oil filter yesterday! So I had two oil filters fail within days of each other!

I will not be buying this brand any more. I have purchased yamaha filters to replace them. Anyone else have any issues with there oil filters leaking?
@capt .....I am new to Yamaha OEM parts but from my racing, boating and cruising days Mercury/Mercruiser OEM parts were usually significantly superior to other brands - even the manufacturing brand who made the parts for Mercury/Mercruiser because Mercury/Mercruiser usually specified product up-grades to their OEM products. This was particularly true of Mercruiser oil (specific additives) and oil filters (lower micron filtering). Therefore, I usually stick with the OEM manufacturer. I did however go to Walmart or RV stores instead of buying "marine" toilet paper that was twice the price for the same thing.... LOL :cool: