• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bad Yamaha

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very bad, how dare you use inferior fixtures on my boat, only 3 months old too.

image.jpg

Brackish, 50/50, ventured out into the Gulf Twice this visit, but I always stringently wash down after every trip.
The ladder was even worse, but did clean up. I'm not overly fussed, just a little disappointed that Yamaha seem to be using sub-standard steel.
I'm over the moon overall with my boat, just polished and put it to bed for the summer, very sad.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Are you headed back to the other side of the pond?

Weird.....I boat in salt water every weekend. I've never had that happen. Over the years, you can see a tiny amount of rust on the base of some of the fixtures, but never that bad.

Are you headed back to the other side of the pond?

Yep, back to old blighty. We purchased the boat in Feb and already have 30 hours, I've owned numerous boats in the UK, the last one for 4 years, and in that time never used it as much as this one :). We live on the coast but work mixed in with inclement weather is not a good combination.

Have a fantastic summer you guys, enjoy your boats this season. God speed!

@brit , Yamaha doesn't make any of those fixtures. I don't know about the transom or bow eyebolts, whether a higher finish of chrome or stainless is available, but the ladder is made by Windline, and is the same ladder used on other boat manufacturers as well. They are fabulous folks and stand behind their products. You might want to try using more protective measures vs just rinsing. Stainless doesn't really rust, but it does get that rusty looking corrosion, that streaks just like in your pictures. I know several guys mention that the corrosion starts under the fixture, where it traps moisture between the gelcoat and the end of the fixture. Guys have used sealants to stop that. But the corrosion on the ladder??? I would try using the corrosion protection sprays on everything metal on the boat and make sure it is always covered with it, even during storage in a salt air environment. That protective spray will let you spend less time cleaning and more time boating!

Looks to me to be "Free iron" rust. Meaning that the S.S. part itself is not rusting, but the part has come into contact with dust or other ordinary iron or steel - like washers or in the case of that photo above, minute shavings and particles from the sliding action of the ladder into and out of it's bracket, threads on bolts, etc..
You could also be boating in water that has a high concentration of iron and other minerals which will accelerate the formation of free iron rust.

It's purely cosmetic and cleans off rather easy. CLR or other readily available chemical cleaners work well. Only use a S.S. brush on stainless steel. Don't use Brillo pads or steel wool - it will make the problem worse. There is ample evidence of corrosion on the stainless in your photos. See that slight whitish film? That's S.S. corrosion. It will just stay like that until cleaned. I see no signs of pitting - that's a good thing.

Corrosion on stainless is normal, much like aluminum, but not nearly to the same extent.
After you rid the boat of the rust, spray it with something that will help prevent it's return. I suggest you try Boeshield products for both removal and prevention:

http://boeshield.com/features-benefits/marine/

Cheers!

Back