• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ballast and Wake-wedge

Bear

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just bought a 2015 212x and I am ready to upgrade the stock ballast. The family wants to start wake-surfing and from everything I have read on this site I need to upgrade the ballast. Is there a custom large bag available that I can just swap out the factory bags for? I am also ordering a wake wedge. In the forums opinion is the wake wedge the real deal?

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Everything I have seen it is very much the real deal. It needs to be ran with ballast so I am tuning in as I am now selling my 192 to get a 212X and will be doing everything you are about to with mine for surfing...

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the 212X you can add a ski locker bag to get the front of the hull lower into the water. I don't think these come with bags in that location. Cam.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bobbie has the same boat , maybe she can chime in :)

Bear

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I spoke with the folks at WakeMaker and they have a ballast set up in mind for the 212x that will replace the stock bags adding about 1000lbs. I am waiting for their quote.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The ballast system from wakemakers combined with the Wake wedge will give you a fantastic wake! Here is that combo in video.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider what was the ballast used in that boat? I have read where the stock 212X bags are actually 600# and you can reprogram the timer to fill them more? I have also read issues of filling them too much and it pops cup holders out? I am assuming the wakemakers bags will be custom to maximize things. Just trying to figure out my plan of attack. Is there forward ballast added to that? Right now, my system would be mofdified to surf normal so I know I will be adding another pump so I can fill each side individually as well as if I need forward ballast. I will also be buying the wake wedge from you, what is the turn around on that? Do you have photos or videos of the install and use? When it is not in use do you turn the buckle to raise it or does it have a stow position or do you simply remove it?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We always stow our Wedge but that is just our way of doing things.
Bear, it is my opinion you want to go the route Englewoodcowboy is going and have a way to fill the starboard / port bags individually. The Wedge is part of the solution. You need ballast and you need to lean the boat. With those three you will get a great wave. You can lean the boat with your crew but leaving the starboard bag empty really helps.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Englewoodcowboy that ballast setup was the aftermarket one that wakemakers made for our 212x. i'm guessing it's coming in around 1100 a side. we had three people in the boat on that video.

Bear

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider Did you add forward ballast to the front or ski locker? I heard that will really lengthen out your wave. Your wave looks great on the video.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That is @bobbie wave in the video. She has no forward ballast. Yes adding more nose weight will lengthen out your pocket but it will also give you less push. It is your job to find what you like and that happy medium. Since I changed ballast around in my boat this year I have to find that again. Last time out I had a hip high wave and a 8 ft pocket, I need to add some nose weight because my pocket is usually 10- 12 ft long.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just for a FYI , I have two 300 bags under my front seats and when I surf I fill them with my plumed ballast , they fill quick prob about 3-4 min , the pocket is long !!! Prob about 14-16 feat back , but when the wife surfs she likes more push so we empty them !!!here is a pic with no front weight image.jpg

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a pic with front weightimage.jpg

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a pic with max weight image.jpg

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All pics have the wake wedge on :)

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wish I had a wedge for my last 2 weeks on the water. I was rocking 2000# ballast + 1400# human ballast and had a crazy wake... I mean, makes a wake setter jealous kind of wave. That said, my platform (surf side) was under water and I had to be careful not to swamp. I had jetski's and seadoo's swarming my wake behind my riders (saw one go almost 3' airborne).

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I wish I had a wedge for my last 2 weeks on the water. I was rocking 2000# ballast + 1400# human ballast and had a crazy wake... I mean, makes a wake setter jealous kind of wave. That said, my platform (surf side) was under water and I had to be careful not to swamp. I had jetski's and seadoo's swarming my wake behind my riders (saw one go almost 3' airborne).

Yep, that is what we noticed testing on @rocknracing boat but it was an awesome wake!!!

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yep, that is what we noticed testing on @rocknracing boat but it was an awesome wake!!!
Yeah. Here's the wave. Keep in mind, this guy is 6'2" and he just went behind the wake (so he's not completely in the trough yet). The wave was about 2.5'

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
WOW!!! Look at that water color. Love it!! Wave looks good also!