• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ballast for a 242 limited S

Josh Cahoon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am looking to put some bags in a 2011 242 limited in the rear lockers. Does anyone have any suggestions or hints on brand and size/weight. I currently have an 1100 pound bag for the center locker which I think is turning out to be overkill.

Any help would be great. Main purpose for me will be surfing. I have a Wake Wedge coming soon hopefully and want to get a good wake. It does not need to be huge just good enough to be able to go rope less on. Thanks

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Center locker won't help much IMO. Folks will chime in on your model, but you need at least 1,500 surf side. We have 800 on swim deck and 800 on surfside rear seat, and 450 on back floor if a handful of people in the boat and don't deploy it with a full boat. I would say this is the bare minimum for us/me to go ropeless and enjoy it. If you are constantly not getting enough push then it's very frustrating.

Josh Cahoon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can the boats handle that much extra weight or am I going to overload the engine and stress the hull? I am leaning to about 400 to 500 lbs on the surf side plus human ballast of about 350 lbs surf side plus the center locker (we run about 700 lbs). I am willing to look at all options.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
1600 pounds MINIMUM. My old boat ran 3250, I have this new one running 2500 and it needs more.

Josh Cahoon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Went to the lake last night. Ran 900lbs under the port locker and another 325 in human ballast (one person on the deck and the other on the seat) and then 400lbs in the ski locker. Had a good wake, enough to generate some push. Still learning to ride, I think more practice is in order. Also ran a new Slingshot Gnarlwal 5'1 board. All I need now is the wedge (should be here next week). Thanks for the tips. It is beginning to shape up, literally.

Josh Cahoon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here it is, ropeless. Had about 80% of a 1100lb bag in the port locker and another 400lb bag in the center locker. Found out later it works better on the rear port seat. Also installed a wake wedge and it made a huge difference on the wake. Thanks @jcyamaharider the wedge is well worth every penny.

I think I am going to add another 800lb bag on the starboard side and drop the entire rear then put the other bag and people on the surf side.

I will put up a video. Need to tune in the wedge a little more and might need some suggestions.