• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ballast install ?????

jcsmith77

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is solely for our surfing setup. So i bought a kit for hard installing ballast for my boat from wakemakers on their black Friday sale. My plan is relatively simple to run one pump to fill the two bags under the port seat and then still use my over the side pump to fill the one on the swim deck.

My first dilemma is whether to install the valve off of the thru-hull under the exhaust water box; so would i really be safer with it that hard to get to? Or should i just find a fitting that will thread onto the thru-hull and go straight to the hose?

The second question is do i trust a plastic fitting with or without the valve?

Looking for peoples experience or expertise. I have other questions to follow but this is where I need to start.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would suggest never using a plastic fitting below the water line. You can get a through hull that has a hose spigot on the end. Cam

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is solely for our surfing setup. So i bought a kit for hard installing ballast for my boat from wakemakers on their black Friday sale. My plan is relatively simple to run one pump to fill the two bags under the port seat and then still use my over the side pump to fill the one on the swim deck.

My first dilemma is whether to install the valve off of the thru-hull under the exhaust water box; so would i really be safer with it that hard to get to? Or should i just find a fitting that will thread onto the thru-hull and go straight to the hose?

The second question is do i trust a plastic fitting with or without the valve?

Looking for peoples experience or expertise. I have other questions to follow but this is where I need to start.
I used those WM thru hulls for intakes/drains, w/o intake valves (check the pics in post #149):
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2016-240-ballast-setup-question-valves.12541/page-8
Reversible pumps function as valves, too.

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep only the Brass Thru hulls for me, never a plastic one below the water line. I have 3 thru hulls. 2 on the bottom and one thru the side.

jcsmith77

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The kit that i got included a fully threaded brass thru hull, brass shut off valve and then a plastic fitting that is threaded to fit into the valve and then has the nipple end for the hose. My concern is that the valve will be hard to get to and the vibration and stress on the plastic fitting at the point where the hose connects. So is my best option just to eat the cost of the brass stuff and order a stainless through hull that's barbed for the correct size of my hose?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No brass is fine thru the hull. I would ditch the plastic fitting down below and use a steel ( stainless or coated, just not raw steel ) fitting down there. Remember that a heat gun will aid you installing the ballast hose. It can be a major PITA.

jcsmith77

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know i want to put the thru hull in the bottom of the boat. Any difference in doing it in the true bottom of the boat like @jcyamaharider or putting it in the bottom of the area where the scupper exits? I know its kinda stepped up, but wasn't sure if it was always in the water when under way.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know i want to put the thru hull in the bottom of the boat. Any difference in doing it in the true bottom of the boat like @jcyamaharider or putting it in the bottom of the area where the scupper exits? I know its kinda stepped up, but wasn't sure if it was always in the water when under way.
If you want to fill while under way (at speed - on plane) - need to go for the bottom in these boats.

--

jcsmith77

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, so i see that most of you guys put your control or switches in the plastic ahead of the throttles, how do you access that area from the back?

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just did all this ballast and switch stuff! I guess I didn't post as many pictures as I thought, but here is my setup. The ballasts are under the swim platform (they aren't very big ballasts, so don't do this if you are looking for huge waves as there are better ways to accomplish this). I made the intake on the side of the hull adjacent to the scupper in what appears to be the same spot as @jcyamaharider 's brass fitting pictured above. If you do this, think about the scupper fitting and hose before you drill. You need to go a little above or below it, otherwise your hoses are going to intersect. The discharge is on the side next to the bilge exit. https://jetboaters.net/threads/ballast-setup-questions-advice-appreciated.12755/

As far as switches, this is what I did and I am really happy with how it turned out! https://jetboaters.net/threads/carling-rocker-switch-installation.12107/#post-208414