• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ballast on Glaston GTS-207 for surfing

Justin Turner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I am bound and determined to surf with my Glaston GTS-207. I've researched all over the forum and am ready to buy some bags. My questions is this? How much weight do I need and where? I am thinking 2500-3000lbs. I would like to buy bags that fit in the compartments but if thats not feasible than I'll just suck it up and put them on the seats when I surf. Once I get everything figured out than I will install them permanently and plumb everything. I am curious however as to what weight y'all are putting in each spot. I know if depends on the boat, hull design, number of passengers etc but it there a good ratio/distribution of weight? I see everyone saying that they filled this bag up to 50% and that one up to 40% etc but exactly how much weight are you putting in each spot? I don't want to buy a 5 foot long bag that hold 1000 lbs if I only need 400 in that particular spot....if that makes sense. After I get the wake I want than I'll worry about the wash (probably with the ghetto flap) and refine the length and depth of the wake with a wedge of some sort. Any replies would be greatly appreciated so I can get a general idea of what I need to order.

genwrx

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I think that is too much ballast for our boats and way over the max capacity. I haven't tried surfing yet but we did put about ~750 pounds on the drivers side backseats inside the boat to see what the wave would look like and it looked pretty good. I would start with something around there up to 1500 tops and play with bag positioning and see what works before integrating into the compartments, also you can have custom size bags made to fit nearly anywhere.

Justin Turner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I think that is too much ballast for our boats and way over the max capacity. I haven't tried surfing yet but we did put about ~750 pounds on the drivers side backseats inside the boat to see what the wave would look like and it looked pretty good. I would start with something around there up to 1500 tops and play with bag positioning and see what works before integrating into the compartments, also you can have custom size bags made to fit nearly anywhere.
I ordered six 350lb bags. They were really cheap and allow me to play around with the weight distribution.

We’re you able to go ropeless with just 750lbs?

genwrx

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Na, it was too late in the evening to even get in the water by the time we got the bags filled, it was a while ago, thinking about it, i think we had forgotten surf board back at the storage unit too lol

Justin Turner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Well my 2250lbs of bags are on the way. I'll be testing next week. I'll try to take some video to see how well it works. Probably won't be able to surf for another week or two.....fingers crossed.

BTW I ordered the bags off of "The House": https://www.the-house.com/fmtv350pbbzz-freemotion-ballast-bags.html

Two 350lb bags for $129.95. Probably not the greatest bags but good enough for testing!

Jeff85

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I was wondering if a person could pull that big floor panel up in the middle of the boat, and put ballast bags down in the hull. Essentially on the sides of the engine compartment, and one up front under the bow .

Justin Turner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I was wondering if a person could pull that big floor panel up in the middle of the boat, and put ballast bags down in the hull. Essentially on the sides of the engine compartment, and one up front under the bow .
No room. It’s all gas tank. I just loaded it all on the seats and ski locker yesterday. I still need a wedge to be able to drop the rope but it was definitely better. I am going for the Inland Curl Version 2 which is supposed to be designed specifically for jet boats.

Last edited:

Jeff85

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
So I am assuming the ski locker basically goes to the bottom of the hull.... My gas tank only goes from the seat cushion down to the floor, so about a foot deep/tall, and is as wide as the middle seat. You have a larger gts than me though, so maybe your tanks different . But, where my battery is , seems to be hollow underneath, and same with the side adjacent to it, like it's hollow on both sides of the engine.

Paperkid96

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
How much Ballast did you end up using? all 2250#? Any pics of the wake? Everyone with a Glastron Jet boat is counting on you to solve the problem..:winkingthumbsup"

Paperkid96

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Are you ok Justin? Hopefully that ballast wasn't too much and your still able to test everything.