• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Ballast options research for JetBoatPilot

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok so I started a conversation with Will @JetBoatPilot about ballast options for my 2014 limitedS. While I consider myself mechanically able I am not an engineer. I have seen great posts of members who have installed ballast in their boats. After reading these post I quickly realized my limits! I am looking for a set up already designed and ready for my boat. I would also like an idiot's step by step youtube video. I presented this possible business idea to Will as his products are easy to install and have great youtube videos. We discussed throwing the idea out on the from to solicit ideas from the group. My wants are below:
1) All hoses cut to size and tested
2) All brackets, pumps, and wiring included.
2) Hole placement on boats already determined along with size. (I do not want to drill too many holes in my boat)!
3) Options for two rear and one center.
4) Automatic shut off when full or drained.
5) Ability to see percent full on each ballast.

This started as I was looking at true wakeboard/surf boats. Obviously these are MUCH more expensive than my boat. My wife also loves our boat and talking her into a new or used boat and spend a lot more money would be next to impossible. So I have decided some type of ballast and perfect pass would be easier on my marriage! Would others be interested in this product? If so what are your preferences?

These are the ballast locations along with the ski lockerthat I was considering in the spring.

SX230PossibleBallastLocations.jpg

The flat shelf that is the bottom of the under seat storage continues under both marked areas.

The orange area is unused space in the bilge. It is accessible through the bilge access (clean our ports cover) and through the swim deck cup holders for boats that have them. My guess is that you could get 300 pounds on each side in this area. The biggest issue with this area is access to install a mounting system, perhaps straps around the bag.

The blue area on the starboard side is accessible through the under seat storage on that side but the orange is blocked off by carpeted plywood. It can also be accessed by removing the carpeted plywood sidewall in the engine compartment. The blue area on the port side is blocked from the under seat storage area by the battery on my SX230. It may be accessible on other models. It is accessible by removing the plywood from the engine compartment. I was able to remove this plywood but had to cut it in half on the port side to remove it from the engine compartment without pulling the engine.

I have removed the plywood from the engine compartment in my SX230 and am installing a tank for a freshwater shower in the forward part of the starboard side blue area and dual batteries in the forward part of the port side.

This picture was taken looking forward from a swim deck cup holder that I installed on the port side. The carpeted areas are beside the engine. The raw fiberglass is in the bilge.

SX230_Looking_Forward_From_Cupholder.jpg

The picture was taken through this cup holder.

SX230_SwimDeck_CupHolder_Port.jpg

I have 242LS and have also been looking at this too. Like the original poster, I don't like drilling holes. I am not very mechanically or electrically inclined, but with a good kit and instructions, I could get it done.

The second post here brings up some interesting ideas to put the ballast even further back in the hull than I thought about. My batteries are filling up most of the space under the port side rear seats, and the stock water tanks is occupying space in the starboard side, so any space less obvious than "under the seats" would be a good use of space.

At this point, I am not sure what to do other than filling up fat sacks on the seat or in the floor and in the storage locker. Wifey won't like the idea of fat sacks laying all over the place...

I would love to throw a switch, pump it in, and throw a switch to pump it out. based on the wake this thing throws with a few people on board near the rear at 6-8 mph, I don't think it would take much to get a decent beginners wake/wave going...

I think the idea of putting something that far back is a really good idea, but I don't know what kind of sac you're going to be able to use and fill the whole space. I have my ski locker and two aft compartments with bags in them and I think I need more ballast. 8 people in the boat, everyone on one side (except in the bow I had people on both sides to lengthen the wake) and I still didn't think the wake was enough.

For wakeboarding, I personally feel like the 800# ski locker is your biggest bang for the buck. Raises the wake by about 4-6".

The idea of getting weight as far aft as you can is a good one. maybe flood the bilge area and turn the pump off? (kidding of course) :-)

How about taking a couple of overweight chicks and sitting them on the rear seats. Give 'em a few bags of junk food and you're good to go! Move as needed. When done, tell 'em to jump overboard and swim to shore, because the exercise will help them lose weight!

Back