• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ballast Setup Questions - Advice appreciated!

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am going to attempt to put ballasts in the compartment under the swim platform. I still have to get it ready (puncture-proof), and this isn't on the top of my boat project list, but I figured I'd give it a shot as time permits. I decided to go with a reversible pump. Based on my research, it might not be the fastest, but it's self priming which is necessary. I want the bags to drain out of the side of the boat so I have indication when they are empty so I turn off the pump. I also want the vent to share a thru-hull with the drain (the less holes in the boat, the better). I understand this is going to require extra tubing and check valves and all that good stuff. I mocked up a drawing with my ideas. Can y'all look at it and tell me what's right and wrong? (lookin' at you @jcyamaharider!) I was going to use 3/4 inch hose but I haven't purchased it yet. I was informed 1 inch would be a better choice. Does it matter with a 300gph pump? I figured the pump would be pretty slow with low flow (which I'm fine with - I'm new to the wakeboard and wakesurf thing and I'm sure the pumps would work while I'm idling around which is 80% of my boating trips anyway...). Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.Ballast.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The schematic looks fine, in general. But the devil is in the detail.
I'm assuming you are referring to the rear underseat compartments, right? The 230s are awesome for the space there!
This system (as drawn) could still siphon through the common vent/drain, depending on your bags location and so on, so may want to plan for that.

--

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
under the swim platform lies hot exhausts!

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Knowing the check valves don't do anything for siphoning, that's something that crossed my mind. So - how do you prevent siphoning?

I think I'm going to be far enough away from the exhaust where the heat won't matter. The bags I am going to use aren't very big - they should fit all the way towards the rear (there's a "shelf" back there).

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Knowing the check valves don't do anything for siphoning, that's something that crossed my mind. So - how do you prevent siphoning?
That's relatively easy, either split the vents up and drain on the opposite sides of the hull (opposite of surf side will be lifted up), or you need anti-siphon loops, or ball valves.

I'm not sure about that space under the transom. I know there is a lot of room there, but it is not going to be the easiest install and you still have to list the boat, and the 230s have ton of space back under the rear seats. Not trying to dissuade you from doing it, in fact I will be watching!

--

thcobb1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where under the swim platform and what size bags are you putting in there? How are you going to access this area?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What you have will work but you have some hardware and pipes you dont need. Pumping through a check valve is slower. Cam.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Like cam said what you have will work. What pump are you planning on using?

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got everything installed for this setup. I did it how it is pictured. It doesn't look as pretty as the diagram, but you can understand the flow with the diagram. You wouldn't be able to understand the flow looking at all the hoses. It's all installed under the swim deck platform. To gain access, just remove the tray where the clean-out ports are. The clean out tubes are still there, and also in the way quite a bit, but it is what it is. The bags are all the way in the back of the boat in that compartment on the "shelves" that are back there due to the design of the hull. The pumps are mounted to the wall that separates this compartment with the engine compartment.

For the setup: First things first, I've never even tried to surf before so this whole system was installed to keep me busy and entertained through the winter. If it doesn't work very well, I'm not overly concerned. I know there are better ways (and products) to do what I did. I went with a reversible impeller pump. It's a knock-off brand. I got the bags used on ebay. It's a matching pair. They are rectangular, I want to say they were about 36 inches x 12 x 12 or so. I put some tennis balls on the big bolts sticking up in that storage area, and wrapped the bags in the old hydroturf I pulled in preparation for my SeaDek install. I did this to (hopefully) prevent any punctures from bare fiberglass or anything else poking out down there. The intake is down low near the boat's drain plug (facing the side, not the back). The drain port is a thru-hull fitting on the side next to the pre-existing bilge drain (tightening the nut for that thru-hull fitting and putting the tube on that fitting was by far the hardest part of this project for me. Find a small person or a kid to help!). Everything else was just a bunch of hoses and hose clamps. And a few threaded adapters. I used 3/4 inch hose.

Once again, I understand this isn't going to be the most effective or fastest ballast system on the lake. I'm not too concerned about it, really. I also understand the bags aren't going to fill all the way due to the constraints of the compartment. I'm okay with that, too. This should add some weight (even if it's not a lot), it will be hidden, and it's not taking up any additional space in my storage areas. For me, these were my main objectives. I'll probably still have to add some weight in the form of humans to get a big enough wake to surf, but this system will hopefully help.

Everything seems to work when I tested very briefly in the garage (didn't want a huge mess of water in the garage). I had to "prime" the pumps, though. To prime, I just hooked up the garden hose to the inlet of the system. The exhaust will heat things up, but it shouldn't get hot enough to melt anything. The pump motors probably don't like being hot, but I don't expect an extremely long life out of them anyway. As long as I don't have to prime it every time I go out, and as long as the drain doesn't automatically siphon, I feel like this will be "mission accomplished."

I'll try to get some pictures posted in the near future.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel like this will be "mission accomplished."
I'll try to get some pictures posted in the near future.
Pictures, or it's like it never happened. . . . . = )