• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bar keepers friend for cushion stains?

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We started using bar keepers friend a while back on our stainless cookware and on a whim I decided to look up it's main ingredient oxalic acid.

I found this statement
"Off label uses of Bar Keepers Friend include removing the brown or yellow stains caused by Avobenzone containing sunscreen.[7]"

I have some seat cushion stains I am going to try this on in the spring when I uncover and dust every thing off.

That's it for now. I am going back into hibernation.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is brilliant! I'm a pro at cleaning just about everything but I've yet to find something to pull those sunscreen lotion splotches out where the wife sits. I'm going to try this!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We have this product but I have not tried it on the cushions.

tshera

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Looking forward to an update on this ...

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't have sunscreen stains but I made a paste using barkeepers friend and then used a power drill, scrub brush attachment posted in another thread. Made my seats clean up real nice. I also used it on some of the plastic surround that i have on my older style seats

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I tried some hand scrubbing on the orange stain that is from the seat vinyl coming in contact with the fiberglass and didn't see any results. Maybe I need to scrub harder.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would be careful with the newer boat seat cushions. The vinyl and its coating in my 2008 SX-230 could hold up to the abrasives in the Barkeepers, but my 2013 242LS vinyl has a thin coat for color that is easily removed with scrubbing with an abrasive. I'd mix up a slurry of the Barkeepers and dab it on the spot (no rubbing) to see if this Oxalic Acid can work some off-label magic on the Avobenzone stain.