• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Barrier paint

Nboros

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just bought a 2016 242 limited s e series. This boat will be in the water most of the year at a dock on Lake Erie. When buying the boat, the dealer brought up barrier paint. Is this a good idea or was this just an upsell feature?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In the US market bottom paint reduces the value of the boat. I would reccomend keeping your boat on a lift otherwise you will want to pull her out and clean the hull every few weeks. Most switch to a lift after a few bottom cleanings.

Growth on the hull significantly slows our boats down so you will want to clean the hull. Additionally it is much easier to avoid growth inside the jet pumps than to remove it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I wet slipped my boat (fresh water lake) for years up north without any issue. I did install a 2nd battery and a bilge alarm (slightly above the normal bilge level) so that if the bilge failed or the battery died it would alarm for a while before sinking (yes I wired the bilge to one battery and he alarm to the other).

When I moved to NC my plan was to continue the same practice, but I quickly discovered that the much warmer water temps here mean a MASSIVE amount of algae growth, and after a year I was on the hunt for a lift. Our marina didn't allow fixed lifts but did agree to a floating lift and I got an airdock. Now there are at least 4 floating lifts at the marina I go to, and I am often asked by other owners about my lift.

So up in Lake Erie....doubt you'll have an algae issue, so bottom paint wouldn't be needed. By the end of the season, you will likely notice some speed loss, but not as bad as you'd see down south. If it bothers you....then look for a lift then.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a 2016 242 limited s e series. This boat will be in the water most of the year at a dock on Lake Erie. When buying the boat, the dealer brought up barrier paint. Is this a good idea or was this just an upsell feature?
@Nboros - Welcome!

Bottom paint? Bad idea, IMO. Will ruin resale value, not matter what you do.

One thing I feel strongly about with a new boat - I will say - spend a few hours waxing the hull BEFORE you ever deploy her. Makes a huge difference, you will be surprised how "dry" that gelcoat is and how it literally soaks the wax in. Best use some premium liquid "cleaner" wax. The best I know is Klasse all-in-one. Some people here like Collinite, or Flagship, choices are endless.

--

Nboros

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
When I spoke with the dealer they said that it would not afffect the warranty or the resale value of the boat. My thought at that time is I am not buying into that at all. How often should I pull the boat out and wax the hull?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I spoke with the dealer they said that it would not afffect the warranty or the resale value of the boat. My thought at that time is I am not buying into that at all. How often should I pull the boat out and wax the hull?
I would not bottom paint your boat and this comes from someone who has bottom paint on theirs. Bottom paint will limit your resell value and market as some will not find it as a desirable feature so you are stuck selling the boat to someone who is ok with it which usually means at a reduced price. I bought my boat with bottom paint on it but it was below fair market value and when I had my boat listed for sale I was $1000's of dollars below market value. Performance wise I don't think there is a noticeable effect but many just want the clean shiny hull.