• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery display and what the hell is sticking out of exhaust port?

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, took the boat out on Saturday and noticed that the battery display seemed kind of low. These boats don't have alternators to charge the battery, correct? I turned on the power this morning and this is what the battery charge level is showing. Is this too low? I take the boat out every couple of weeks so should I be tendering the batteries at all times when not in use?
display.jpg

Also, when rinsing out the rear of the boat, I noticed this rubber ring thing sticking out of the exhaust port. Seems like it should have been adhered to something inside the port but came loose and is sticking out now. Any idea what this is?
exhaust port.jpg

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Hey guys, took the boat out on Saturday and noticed that the battery display seemed kind of low. These boats don't have alternators to charge the battery, correct? I turned on the power this morning and this is what the battery charge level is showing. Is this too low? I take the boat out every couple of weeks so should I be tendering the batteries at all times when not in use?
View attachment 124374

Also, when rinsing out the rear of the boat, I noticed this rubber ring thing sticking out of the exhaust port. Seems like it should have been adhered to something inside the port but came loose and is sticking out now. Any idea what this is?
View attachment 124375
@bleudyno I believe that piece in the exhaust is just from manufacturing and you can pull it out. Seems to happen quite often on new boats. 12.2 is a little low ,but it looks like you were at idle? If when you were at 3000rpm and it was still 12.2 volts I would be concerned. The boat will charge a little but it’s not like an alternator and not as efficient. I would plug my boat into a battery charger if not using it every couple of weeks. I charge mine even if I am going out the next day.

Hope that helps,

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The boats don't have alternators but they do have a stator and will charge when underway. When cruising you should see the voltage in the 14V range. On my 242X the bilge pump runs every few minutes to check for water. Over time this will run the battery down. Although 12.2 is not low. From memory, 10.6V or so is absolutely dead for a lead acid battery. Lead acid batteries like to be fully charged at all times so you will extend the life of your batteries by keeping them on a tender but like I said, 12.2V is not low all so you're not causing damage.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The boats don't have alternators but they do have a stator and will charge when underway. When cruising you should see the voltage in the 14V range. On my 242X the bilge pump runs every few minutes to check for water. Over time this will run the battery down. Although 12.2 is not low. From memory, 10.6V or so is absolutely dead for a lead acid battery. Lead acid batteries like to be fully charged at all times so you will extend the life of your batteries by keeping them on a tender but like I said, 12.2V is not low all so you're not causing damage.
Screenshot_20190723-114827_Gallery.jpg
12.2 is low.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guess I need to tender it a bit to get the charge back up.......

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My house battery will only charge back up to 12.2 ish with just boat power. It gets pretty low cranking tunes with the motor off all day. Start battery stays up in the 13s. I’m buying a tender today or tomorrow.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2019 19ft came with deka group 24 battery, my Connext has never shown above 12.2 but at the battery it’s 12.6. Not sure what’s causing the difference on my boat perhaps the Connext pulls a bit and the bilge sensor??? But I’ve not had any starting problems in over a year. My boat is in garage on a battery tender all the time.

édit: actually 12.78 today at battery

Last edited:

SamN44

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Connext on my 2020 SX 190 reads around .2v low when compared to my volt meter. Connext would read 12.5v on a full charge and the voltmeter would read 12.77. I kept thinking I had a poor battery, but it was the Connext.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It appears my memory isn't what it used to be :)

Though after digging I realized why that number stuck in my head. When they do the Reserve Capacity test, they drain the battery down to 10.5V. From this page: Battery Basics - Guide to Batteries | BatteryStuff

Reserve Capacity (RC) is a very important battery rating. This is the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80°F will discharge 25 amps until the battery drops below 10.5 volts.