• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Levels

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
After looking at Sotally Tober's set up man I am jealous! I don't need the crazy loud system but one thing I liked was the battery gauges. Right now I just put a fluke meter on them to check them. What does everyone use to see how much charge is on each battery?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Cowboy Casey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought, but have yet to install a Faria Battery Condition Gauge. It claims to be more than a voltmeter and is around $30.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I've used the Stinger digital volt meter in many systems.
Mount the meter close to the batteries. Wire the meter directly to two battery banks via a switch and fuse the lead at each battery.
Use a small switch (On-Off-On) to toggle between the two banks and isolate the two banks with a standard dual battery switch or dual circuit battery switch.
If you have multiple batteries within one bank checking batteries in isolation twice a season or more can possibly save the bank. One bad cell leads to one bad battery which leads to one bad bank. If you catch a bad battery early on within a fairly young bank, it could mean only having to replace the one battery.
Keep in mind that to get an accurate reading the measured battery must sit at rest in isolation for several hours to fully dissipate the higher charging voltage from either the boat or the shore charger.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I need to install meters as well. I was looking at some digital ones off of ebay.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These are some great ideas. Last year we decided to take a road trip to a new boat ramp about 45 miles south of us on the Ohio River. As part of my pre-launch check I turned on the blowers and nothing... Turns out our 6 year old had left the light in the head compartment on and the battery was completely dead. The closest auto parts store was another 10 miles away. If I would have had a battery indicator I probably would have checked it before we left and saved myself a good deal of money and stress. Now I detach my battery every time we put the boat on the trailer. I still have the older battery and have been able to charge it back up. I REALLY want to add a battery switch and 2nd battery to the boat this year.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have a religious pre-launch check like many people, but I ALWAYS make sure the engines start before the boat ever leaves the driveway ;)

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have a religious pre-launch check like many people, but I ALWAYS make sure the engines start before the boat ever leaves the driveway ;)
Yes, now I do that too. Usually we only take the boat 5 miles away from the house so it isn't such a big deal. This just had to happen when we were the furthest we had been in a long time. Lesson learned.

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I like the look of those battery gauges too. I also do the pre-checks before launch and have two batteries and charge them after each outing.

I took the free route for quick voltage checks and just use the on screen display for voltage. Click the key quick and don't start the boat and you get your gauges for about 10 sec before it shuts off again but you get a reading.

I compared with my fluke meter and was pretty close. I do understand others might not charge as frequently as I do so gauges are nice to have.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is it only the 242s that have the battery voltages in their gauges?