• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery question

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I work closely with a local interstate dealer and upgrading batteries on the boat soon. I am curious if I should go Optima Blue D27M, I can get about 140 a battery. Or the Interstate 34M-AGM. They are similar sized and specs from what I see on their websites. I didn't get a price on the Interstates though. I don't have much of a stereo and/or accessories.I will be running a small amp, Clarion XC1410 and 6.5" speakers, currently Polk db 651. We mainly cruise, hangout and do some offshore spearfishing. But with ocean use, and some trips without charger access is why I want a dual battery setup. I read some dislikes for Optima on here from older posts. I was wondering if opinions have shifted any? Thanks in advance.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
image.jpeg image.jpeg A few years ago I upgraded my Jeep with dual batteries.
Optima was king of the abusive off-roaders, years ago. They have been sold and feedback from the field is that it has resulted in a much less reliable product. I would not consider their product-

In my book, when remote, power is king. I will never regret having more/better power when in the woods, or on the water.

With both my Jeep, and now my 242X, I went with the top rated AGM, through Sears.
Interstate is in there-

Attached are the best I have right now-

image.jpeg

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I've seen no real quality problems with Optima batteries. Failures are generally an issue with usage and understanding the product/category by the users...and many sellers also. However, a group 34 battery is definitely under-sized and lighter, and that translates directly to lower capacity. So, in any case, I would avoid a group 34 unless it is a special application for which this battery solves a unique problem. In order of capacity size, from smallest to largest, you have group 34, 24, 27, 29 & 31 (the short list). Get the larger battery. And use an AC Smart shore charger.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks @David Analog I was just looking at specs as I stated and they seemed similar but I am the first to admit I am no expert! I think I'll run the 2 Optima Group 27 as I see no real reason I would ever use the Group 31 just overkill I think.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I looked all over at batteries. At first I was sold on the Optimas because it seemed like they were the best (read as "most expensive"). The more I looked and read, I didn't see any real advantage to them. I definitely wanted a maintenance free battery (AGM) because my batteries have been relocated to the very back of the storage compartment and it takes a miracle to get them in and out. Something I only want to do once every 4-5 years. I went with two Duracell group 31's from Sams Club for about half price. Keep in mind, the bigger the battery, the less you deplete it. The less you deplete it, the more cycles you will get out of it. When you have the budget and the space, and a capable shore charger, the bigger battery should serve you better and last longer.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
One major thing to consider in any battery usage, how will you maintain it? If your maintenance plan is neglectful or not at all, don't spend the money on AGM's as it will not take abuse any better than a lead acid, and since they are over twice the price, paying for batteries more often due to neglect, just doesn't make sense. All batteries need to be kept in a full state when not being used. I have put AGM group 27s in both of my boats and had very good experiences with them, meaning I keep them charged and they have yet to let me down. Most importantly, the interior of my boat looks like the day I bought it, without oxidization or other acid related deterioration. Interstate, Duracell, or even the AutoZone or Oreilly's brand AGMs are pretty comparable. If you want the name, Optima is a decent battery today, but even today, my local Batteries Plus dealer tells me that it still has the highest rate of return. He speculates that due to cost, many purchases may be accompanied with buyers remorse, which may account for some of those returns. It is not a better AGM than the others on the market. As a matter of fact, there are only a handful of battery manufacturers in the world, and they all are made by those few companies. Personally, if I could service my batteries and protect my interior, I wouldn't spend the money on AGM's. But that is the key if you ask me, in a boat compartment, buried in most cases, service is impossible. So this is a perfect example of why an AGM is a better choice. Just keep them topped off (and above 12V) and you will be a happy camper.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I will keep the boat on the trailer and hooked up to a smart charger I purchased from The Charger Guy that is capable of maintaining the battery so I am not worried on that front. For the 140ish a battery I was just thinking a good deal for a decent AGM but I will ask my dealership for my price on their Interstate 31 AGM. To see if comparable in price.

Thank you all for the feedback as I pretty much am taking any AGM will be great as long as you maintain it on a proper charger and not drain it down to improper levels.

Binymac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From doing some research ....... I'm planning to upgrade my factory batteries with two Lifeline GPL-27T AGM Deep Cycle batteries. They offer several high capacity models and are made in the USA with great warranty.
Check out the different models.

http://www.concordebattery.com/

http://lifelinebatteries.com/

upload_2016-6-30_11-45-2.png

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I learn so much here it is nuts!!! I never would have guessed at the following!!! Thanks @David Analog !
In order of capacity size, from smallest to largest, you have group 34, 24, 27, 29 & 31 (the short list)
The batteries that came with my boat are both starting batteries, so I plan to replace one with a deep cycle for the house....thinking a group 31 would be the best idea given the 1000w stereo in the 242X! I'm not a Sam's club member, but this one looks like a good deal:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-marine-battery-group-size-29hm/prod3590216.ip

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian I have 2 of the Duracells in group 31. So far they have been a great deal for me. It was worth the $40 membership just for the batteries.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian I have 2 of the Duracells in group 31. So far they have been a great deal for me. It was worth the $40 membership just for the batteries.
My neighbor is a member, so whenever I need anything I just go shopping with them! :winkingthumbsup"

We used to be members and wife switched to BJs (which is closer) and apparently has better produce and meats...??? But a new Sams club is opening even closer than BJs....so ya never know what will happen next!

@subysti Our Homedepot doesn't carry batteries

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I picked up the sams club group 31 duracell, going to hook it up in the next few weeks.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @David Analog I was just looking at specs as I stated and they seemed similar but I am the first to admit I am no expert! I think I'll run the 2 Optima Group 27 as I see no real reason I would ever use the Group 31 just overkill I think.
I think you'll be just fine with that.
Although I am wired for a dual battery set-up, I've been running a single group 27 deep cycle from Costco for the last couple of years and it has been flawless. When it dies I'll take advantage of the very liberal return/ exchange policy.
I have a couple of pretty big amps and a powered sub and have had no issues at all. However, I always carry a jumper.
I'm crazy, but not that crazy.
I always pull the battery from the boat and it lives in my garage on a tender in the off season. :cool:

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks @Glassman. I don't plan on having a large stereo just when we do trips like next month for 5 days in the water in the Keys without shore power. I mean the only thing on at night will be bilge pump. I don't think I need the light on since I will be at mooring ball right by the house? I should be fine though. But the Duracell price for a group 31 is a steal IMO. The Optimas are only rated at 66ah if I am reading their stats correctly, but should be plenty for 2 small xc1410 amps, a VHF, plotter and lights etc. I can get them at 120 a piece. So same price if I get a Sams Club membership and get the Duracells @Julian posted earlier.

Edit to say I looked at the Sams Club battery and it is not AGM it is flooded. So that makes that easier.

Performance Data
Cold Cranking Amps:800Cranking Amps:1000Nominal Voltage:12 voltsOpen Circuit Voltage (fully charged):13.1 voltsInternal Resistance (fully charged):0.0025 ohmsCapacity:66 Ah (C/20)Reserve Capacity:BCI: 140 minutes (25 amp discharge, 80°F (26.7°C), to 10.5 volts cut-off)

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My neighbor is a member, so whenever I need anything I just go shopping with them! :winkingthumbsup"

We used to be members and wife switched to BJs (which is closer) and apparently has better produce and meats...??? But a new Sams club is opening even closer than BJs....so ya never know what will happen next!

@subysti Our Homedepot doesn't carry batteries
I was a Costco guy until a new Sam's opened up near my house a few months ago. I have been to older Sam's before, but wasn't impressed. All I can say is wow, this new Sam's is awesome. They have way more variety of everything compared to Costco. As far as batteries go, I was all about upgrading both my factory batteries to the Sam's club group 31's after I installed my stereo. Well, after a few weeks out on the water, the OEM batteries hold up just fine. I have not had any issues of running them down and I am running 1,000 watts of JL class D amps. You will probably be just fine with yours, especially with the solar panels.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was a Costco guy until a new Sam's opened up near my house a few months ago. I have been to older Sam's before, but wasn't impressed. All I can say is wow, this new Sam's is awesome. They have way more variety of everything compared to Costco. As far as batteries go, I was all about upgrading both my factory batteries to the Sam's club group 31's after I installed my stereo. Well, after a few weeks out on the water, the OEM batteries hold up just fine. I have not had any issues of running them down and I am running 1,000 watts of JL class D amps. You will probably be just fine with yours, especially with the solar panels.
I hope I will be fine too, but I expect the life expectancy of the battery that was killed twice (drained to <1v) is now compromised. So if it does die sooner rather than later, I'll swap my house battery over to my starting battery (as they are both starting batteries) and will buy a new Deep Cycle group 31 (and of course a new battery tray or box to put it in as its bigger than my current tray)

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I went with the Optima for 120 a piece for the group 27 and will have full install Thursday when the wiring shows up.