• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

BBQ arm for Scarab 195 (also available for 255)

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I'd like to mount a BBQ at the back swim deck my boat. I found this on the 'net:

Anyone have any experience with something like this? He said he's only built one so far and as such he doesn't have any pictures of what it looks like on anything ither than a 285. I'm curious as to how it looks/functions before I make the plunge. 'Specially for $280! I'd use it first on my 195 and later this summer on my 215-in-waiting. i think the rear is pretty similar.

I also thought of replacing the rear cup holders with fishing rod holder types and using a mount that drops into that but I'm not sure how steady that would be.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You might want to take a look at what yamaha offers for its boats where tables and table arms/mounts are concerned. I think the mounts and arms are manufactured by Hamilton. A less expansive alternative is to install a recessed table mount in the deck and use a standard table leg and magma friction mount.

429A526D-EF6A-452C-B9BB-F074DD2813B8.pngAA135CF3-3284-4206-AB45-88E06D09D65D.png

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'd like to mount a BBQ at the back swim deck my boat. I found this on the 'net:

Anyone have any experience with something like this? He said he's only built one so far and as such he doesn't have any pictures of what it looks like on anything ither than a 285. I'm curious as to how it looks/functions before I make the plunge. 'Specially for $280! I'd use it first on my 195 and later this summer on my 215-in-waiting. i think the rear is pretty similar.

I also thought of replacing the rear cup holders with fishing rod holder types and using a mount that drops into that but I'm not sure how steady that would be.

Any other ideas are welcome.
I can tell you that a fishing rod holder, no cup, will hold a grill with no problem. I installed one on our sailboat a couple of years ago and have been pleased with the function and ability to catch and cook. I mounted the same Magma levelock rod holder grill mount shown above to the grill, in this case, the grille is larger than our Magma, we use a Napoleon infrared grill on this boat. Happy with the steak tips, no I did not catch them.

20200814_183954.jpg

20200815_144159.jpg

20200816_195337.jpg

20200816_190411.jpg

20200818_153334.jpg

And we can turn the grille around 180° to grill while standing on the swim platform.

Last edited:

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
You might want to take a look at what yamaha offers for its boats where tables and table arms/mounts are concerned. I think the mounts and arms are manufactured by Hamilton.
I think the mount is similar, if not identical, to Scarab's. I'm just not sure where the BBQ would sit since the mounting point on Scatab is at an odd angle (see lower pic).

20191126_152654.jpg

Picture doesn't do it justice but that inner side wall. Where it says "Rotax", is not parallel with the gunnel.

A less expansive alternative is to install a recessed table mount in the deck and use a standard table leg...
That might be an option on the 195. In fact I saw a boat where they installed a mount for a handle so that the elderly grandmother could board. On the 215, however, there are storage lockers in the swim platform so I don't think this would work.

I can tell you that a fishing rod holder, no cup, will hold a grill with no problem.
That's a valid idea, but since I'd like it on the rear platform there is, essentially, only one place it could be installed (see previous pic). It woukd have to be on the angle, not horizontal, and im not sure how much room is back there (it might interfere with the current cup holder. That's why I though of replacing the cup holder with a cup/rod holder. Im just not sure of how strong it would be, especially if I use an angled rod holder.

Thanks for the suggestions. Still got a bit of time until I get my boat to figure this out.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think the mount is similar, if not identical, to Scarab's. I'm just not sure where the BBQ would sit since the mounting point on Scatab is at an odd angle (see lower pic).

View attachment 193296

Picture doesn't do it justice but that inner side wall. Where it says "Rotax", is not parallel with the gun elements.

That might be an option on the 195. In fact I saw a boat where they installed a mount for a handle so that the elderly grandmother could board. On the 215, however, there are storage lockers in the swim platform so I don't think this would work.

That's a valid idea, but since I'd like it on the rear platform there is, essentially, only one place it could be installed (see previous pic). It woukd have to be on the angle, not horizontal, and im not sure how much room is back there (it might interfere with the current cup holder. That's why I though of replacing the cup holder with a cup/rod holder. Im just not sure of how strong it would be, especially if I use an angled rod holder.

Thanks for the suggestions. Still got a bit of time until I get my boat to figure this out.
I replaced the starboard cup holder on the swim deck with a rod / cup holder combo and it holds my bbq on a level lock without issue. You may have to move the rod holder stop up to keep the grill from touching the hull.

Another potential alternative location is to replace the anchor light mount (mine is at the stern behind the cockpit seat headrests) with a rod or rod/cup holder. This puts the bbq higher so you can use it while standing instead of sitting on the swim platform or you can grill from inside the boat, from the rear cockpit seats.

you can check out my bbq mounts at about the 50 second mark in the attached video link.