• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bearing greasing VX DELUX 2017

Gustavo Hidalgo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Question?
What is the worth that can happen is you put the whole 3 oz of grease in the bearings shaft of a VX DELUX 2017?
I was doing the 50 hours oil change then I realized that it also needed to grease the bearing. But, I put the whole 3 oz. marine grease :)

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If too much grease it can pop the seal of the bearing, possibly coming out into the hull and could possibly leak slightly but i don't know the ski very well. Any bearing can only take so much grease before it comes out somewhere else!
Any grease coming out in the wrong place?

Gustavo Hidalgo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Hi Speedling,
No visible grease at this point will have to check closely. Now I'm really concerned.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hi Speedling,
No visible grease at this point will have to check closely. Now I'm really concerned.
If no visible grease, just test it out and run around near the dock for a while.
I can't imagine it leaking much if it does at all.
Just go enjoy for a bit, check it out after an hour, a few hours, and end of day.
Who knows, maybe it needed some grease in it!

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep in mind the grease is simply a secondary water seal. It has nothing to do with lubrication as the internal bearings are hermetically sealed.

-Greg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just did 2 of those and it is no picnic if you start seeing water in your hull you probably separated the rubber from the housing and if that is the case you will need to replace the intermediate bearing. It's a job I hate doing. And I have all the tools even a custom made rolling engine lift to move the engine forward and backward after changing the parts.

Gustavo Hidalgo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Update**
No water getting in the hull at this point put close to 2 hours at variable speeds incluring my favorite full open throttle. Check during and after hull keep dry. I even think sounds better :D...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok then it only separated on the inside and did not go to the outside I would say do not grease that anymore .

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Screenshot_20180818-081008_Chrome.jpg

Gustavo Hidalgo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
The funny about all this; I had never used a grease gun before and now whenever I see a grease fitting I have the need to grease it up. ...
The trailer .
Front end on the truck.
Rear axles....etc.....
Gonna have to put that away before out cost me more money. .

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok so PUT DOWN THE GUN , I wondered why Yamaha hid that grease fitting because for many years it was attached to a hose and located at the rear of the engine. In any event if you ever get a lot of water in your hull you will get water in your drive shaft bearing as well. I don't grease those but I do service them. I remove the grease fitting use a piece of trimmer string to sample the grease. I also use a small plastic dental syringe and I add in some gear lube using that tool, then I return the fitting, you can also use that syringe to add grease , doing that you never build up any extra force inside the housing so doing what you did would not happen. Here is what I am using to grease those bearings
If you need to add any grease you just pull the inside out of the syringe , then pump some grease in and return the inside part air won't matter because as you push in the grease the air escapes out the same opening that you are accessing. They could solve this issue if they had a relief valve on the housing .