• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Beginner Wakesurf Board

DaveShip55

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this probably a very subjective question, but I don’t want to make the same mistake I made way back when, when purchasing our first Wakeboard, LoL
Used to have a AR 230, and we did a lot of wakeboarding…. Sold the 230 and just picked up our new 255XD…. And want to give Wakesurfing a try….. I realize it might be hard to go ropeless unless we add more ballast, but for now I think we’ll be fine with the rope.
Just wondering what a good beginner board would be?…. Mostly for my 15 year old daughter, around 120lbs.
I did a little research and saw a few, Liquid Force LTD Fish, Connelly Laguna, Hyperlite Broadcast, Sling Shot Coaster?
Side note, we have a Hyperlite State wakeboard and absolutely love it for a beginner, just in case anyone wondered what a good beginner wakeboard was…. LoL!
Thanks in advance!

My kids started off on a big Hyperlite Landlock. It’s big with a lot of water surface. We don’t use it anymore, but always bring it out if a newbie wants to try it.

My kids started off on a big Hyperlite Landlock. It’s big with a lot of water surface. We don’t use it anymore, but always bring it out if a newbie wants to try it.
Thanks!!!!! Looks like exactly what I’m looking for!… the reviews say just what you said, great learning board…. Some people saying they could never get up and surf, then got this board and got up and surfed in 5 minutes!!!!! Thanks again!

We are very happy with our Hyperlite Broadcast. Many a new surfer have got up on it.

I haven't used the slingshot coaster but have a slingshot space pickle board which they no longer make. Currently the Coaster is about 50% off for the 2021 model at evo.com 120 lb kid on any surfstyle board shouldn't be any problem at all. We just ordered the Hyperlite shim on sale. If someone other than her is going to surf on it you need the longest one for a Yamaha wave. My 110-125 lb daughter surf on our 5'3" board no problem and could probably go ropeless with a light breeze. Me on the other hand need all I can get.

I know this probably a very subjective question, but I don’t want to make the same mistake I made way back when, when purchasing our first Wakeboard, LoL
Used to have a AR 230, and we did a lot of wakeboarding…. Sold the 230 and just picked up our new 255XD…. And want to give Wakesurfing a try….. I realize it might be hard to go ropeless unless we add more ballast, but for now I think we’ll be fine with the rope.
Just wondering what a good beginner board would be?…. Mostly for my 15 year old daughter, around 120lbs.
I did a little research and saw a few, Liquid Force LTD Fish, Connelly Laguna, Hyperlite Broadcast, Sling Shot Coaster?
Side note, we have a Hyperlite State wakeboard and absolutely love it for a beginner, just in case anyone wondered what a good beginner wakeboard was…. LoL!
Thanks in advance!
Your comment on the Hyperlite wakeboard was perfect timing, @DaveShip55 ! While I'd love to try wake surfing, I'm not going to make the kind of investment required to get a surfable wave on my FSH. Since my doctor gave me a full release yesterday after recovering from a meniscus repair, I think it's time to try wakeboarding. Seems like a good hobby to take up in my late 50's, right? I'm a competent snowboarder, so I'm hoping there's some overlap in the learning curve.

I know this is a really broad question, but...anything I need to know before I dive in? There are some reasonable options on Amazon, like a Hyperlite State 2.0 with Frequency bindings, to get me started. Thanks for any tips you can offer, and good luck with the surfing!

Well, looks like the season is almost upon us here!…. Havasu trip here in a few weeks! I think I’m sold on the Hyperlite Broadcast board, seem s to have some great reviews. Now my question is what size should I get? All of us are 1st timers trying Wakesurfing, and also trying to take in consideration the ‘smaller’ wake produced by the Yamaha…. Should I go with the 4’-8”, or the larger 5’-2”? It’ll mostly be ridden by the teenagers ranging from 140lbs to 190lbs. The chart says the 4’-8” is good to 190lbs, so I’m leaning towards that one. But I thought I’d ask here first, think’n that maybe the larger version might be easier all around to learn on? Thoughts?

120lbs is too light for the Coaster. My wife just doesn’t like it and she’s around that (I think). About the time she finally gets her balance right it shoots her at the boat. A lot of people love the coaster, that’s what Yamaha was selling in their surf kit. It works great for the smaller wake that we have, but because of that I think too small of a rider makes a difference.

The Fish is a great one. My daughter and wife both prefer it over the coaster. We have the 5’6, but they also have a 5’0 I think.

Back