• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bent impeller blade, stuck housing

ilangtry

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I sucked up something while traveling at full speed. Starboard engine immediately seized and port error. Felt inside the cleanout ports and felt a bent blade. Limped back to the dock on port engine and then home.

Yup impeller is toast!
7C6B36D5-7D08-466A-AE0C-2250FCB7F213.jpegEEAE2A5B-C80B-4DA1-9C95-7CE2F0D32A26.jpeg

Trying to remove impeller but can’t get this housing to budge. Wondering if shredded blade is keeping it pinned. Any suggestions?
5AE90646-BDC7-4BC2-A328-5436CF6CD7AA.jpeg560FB5BA-43A6-49E7-83E5-4A8CEF9D5B80.jpeg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bummer!
This looks like a Solas impeller, they explode from time to time.
Did you install it? You will need a special tool to remove it, and it can be tough.

It is likely stuck inside the wear ring, but you should be able to convince the segments to come apart, those "dog ears" are there to use as a leverage with a flat screwdriver, just do hammer it too hard:

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Had this happen on our old Exciter. 1st take the spark plugs out so as when you are pulling it apart the drive shaft may need to turn. I had to bolt a chain to 2 of the bolt holes and use a slide hammer. Also removed the cone for added space to work.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had this happen on our old Exciter. 1st take the spark plugs out so as when you are pulling it apart the drive shaft may need to turn. I had to bolt a chain to 2 of the bolt holes and use a slide hammer. Also removed the cone for added space to work.
Was it also Solas?

--

ilangtry

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Was it also Solas?

--
Thanks Swatski. Yes they are Solas. So this could have happened just on their own? Huh. Yamaha dealer did the install.

I ended removing the wear housing to get it out of the boat

1DE6BF22-CFFB-4878-96C3-E7C17D049B17.jpeg

Now still have to pry or cut the shredded blade, to get the two housing separated. Guess I’ll be orders bunch of new parts on Monday. Still hoping engine is okay.

48736658-7A29-4738-93FA-0B77B58EEEC4.jpeg8575FE90-193D-47E8-B14F-747F462F6DBC.jpeg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glas you got them out
Run the engines with out them just to make sure you're not dealing with additional issues

• Agree
Reactions: Gym

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was it also Solas?

--
Solas is another manufacturer of impellers. They have a good reputation and are generally of pretty high quality.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Solas has had at least two batches of concord impellers that were imploding. This has been a known issues. At least three members here had it happen, @dan144k was one.

There is more info here and on greenhulk, at least one batch was kind of recalled by Solas (in a sense that) - they were issuing refunds. Not sure what is the status quo on that.

@jcyamaharider hope you are watching this.
Personally I do not believe that’s are any advantages to switching to Solas in 1.8 N/A boats.
Well, those are shiny. But the OEM impellers can be sent out to get mirror finish at Impros, lol.
(I wouldn’t recommend it, makes no difference).

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Swatski. Yes they are Solas. So this could have happened just on their own? Huh. Yamaha dealer did the install.

I ended removing the wear housing to get it out of the boat

View attachment 96998

Now still have to pry or cut the shredded blade, to get the two housing separated. Guess I’ll be orders bunch of new parts on Monday. Still hoping engine is okay.

View attachment 96999View attachment 97000
Total carnage!
May need a new wear ring segment.

If you need to cut them off, I would focus on preserving the shaft and pump bearings, not using excessive heat there.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Was it also Solas?

--
No they were stock. As I inspected them I could see cavitation ware at the base of the blades. After the blade broke off I could see voids in the casting. I cut a blade off the other impeller and found the same issues. They were replaced with Solas 3yrs before we sold it.

ilangtry

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Solas has had at least two batches of concord impellers that were imploding. This has been a known issues. At least three members here had it happen, @dan144k was one.

There is more info here and on greenhulk, at least one batch was kind of recalled by Solas (in a sense that) - they were issuing refunds. Not sure what is the status quo on that.

Personally I do not believe that’s are any advantages to switching to Solas in 1.8 N/A boats.
Well, those are shiny. But the OEM impellers can be sent out to get mirror finish at Impros, lol.

I boat at 6200ft. So purchased these high altitude pitched impellers from Impros. Sent them email this morning about the damage.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No they were stock. As I inspected them I could see cavitation ware at the base of the blades. After the blade broke off I could see voids in the casting. I cut a blade off the other impeller and found the same issues. They were replaced with Solas 3yrs before we sold it.
Huh! The Solas are built similar to MR-1 OEM impellers.
I never heard of a OEM impeller, at least in the newer 1.8 boats, doing this... They bend and the material is pretty soft, as compared to Solas (Concord, Dynafly), or Skat (Trak) - easy to repitch DIY. But they don't implode. ANd they have the longest blades (the OEM single 1.8 6CW being even longer).

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I boat at 6200ft. So purchased these high altitude pitched impellers from Impros. Sent them email this morning about the damage.
I would ask about switching to 6CW (from single engine 1.8 boats). That's what some dealers recommend for elevation - @Williamsone46 uses those, they have longer blades.
We know @J-RAD has those on order! I hope he gets to test them this season.

BTW - the Impros was reportedly bought out by Glenn Perry of Skat company. He is the impeller guru and I know for a fact he loves talking impellers. He may be hard to reach but I would try talking to him to get some information.

--

ilangtry

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would ask about switching to 6CW (from single engine 1.8 boats). That's what some dealers recommend for elevation - @Williamsone46 uses those, they have longer blades.
We know @J-RAD has those on order! I hope he gets to test them this season.

BTW - the Impros was reportedly bought out by Glenn Perry of Skat company. He is the impeller guru and I know for a fact he loves talking impellers. He may be hard to reach but I would try talking to him to get some information.

--
Glen Perry actually emailed me back 👍🏼

After finally getting the housings separated3C02D55C-66BD-493B-A099-9859B9782E2F.jpeg. Looks like out housing fins took a beating. Do I need to replace this housing as well?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glen Perry actually emailed me back 👍🏼

After finally getting the housings separatedView attachment 97012. Looks like out housing fins took a beating. Do I need to replace this housing as well?
This is the stator segment and it contains the two sets of pump bearings. I wouldn't mess with it, if the impeller comes off I would just file the burbs smooth.

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Yeah I tested some solas concords this weekend. They are coming back out. Now to get the factory 6AP or the 6CW???

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lol that’s what I’d do after my short patience ran out.