• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best ballast bag options for 242 ski/tot locker?

4michael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What's the best ballast bag for 242 ski/toy locker?

Last edited:

Rooster585

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I purchased the Fatsac W730 for the ski locker. I have yet to try my setup but it fits well into the compartment and still leaves room for storage. 370 Pound bag.
I am hoping with that, the 850 on the back surf side, Gantlin wedge and 5-6 people will give me a decent wake. (Not to mention 350 lbs. of fuel.)
And it warming up so I will try it out soon.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You are going to want 750-800 pounds in the ski locker of a 24ft boat. The wave will have way to short of a pocket if you don't do this

Rooster585

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is going to be tough to find a bag that will fit in the 24' locker that is going to give any more weight. I looked hard for a few other options and anything that would fit the locker size wasn't going to add much more weight.
Any suggestions? Manufacture / part number??

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
W707 Fatsac..... I sell them everyday for the ski locker.

Last edited:

4michael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have my ballast. Went with sumo max sacs since I like their pumps better due to speed and ease of draining. 1000lbs of lead weight (20 -50lb) for swim deck seats. Plan to put 800 in center and 209 to move back and forth to switch list for goofy/regular. Also have one 450 sac and one 575. Will move around depending on many people in the boat. The lead weight bags give alot of flexibility to move the configuration around.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
W707 Fatsac..... I sell them everyday for the ski locker.
That is the exact one I put in my 242 locker. Folks should keep in mind, that this one is nearly the exact dimension. But whatever you put in there, you only fill it to the size you need. So if you need something else in there, you don't fill it as much. Or if the bag is too big or too small, it will conform to the space.

This one just happens to be about perfect. Heck, I fill them with air first to be sure it is sitting right before filling. As you are not going to move it once it's half full. Good luck!

4michael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well,
I will see how this one goes.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have my ballast. Went with sumo max sacs since I like their pumps better due to speed and ease of draining. 1000lbs of lead weight (20 -50lb) for swim deck seats. Plan to put 800 in center and 209 to move back and forth to switch list for goofy/regular. Also have one 450 sac and one 575. Will move around depending on many people in the boat. The lead weight bags give alot of flexibility to move the configuration around.
I don't know your prior boat history but personally I wouldn't want to carry 1000 pounds of lead in my boat ( Yamaha ) all the time. I have 200 lbs of lead in our boat and I hate moving it around when we surf and then change for everyday cruising. 1000-1500 pounds of lead in an inboard is a completely different story. They have the power, traction, and tabs to counter act that much weight. You will defiantly be getting a work out moving those things around and so will the gas pump.

Rooster585

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is the exact one I put in my 242 locker. Folks should keep in mind, that this one is nearly the exact dimension. But whatever you put in there, you only fill it to the size you need. So if you need something else in there, you don't fill it as much. Or if the bag is too big or too small, it will conform to the space.

This one just happens to be about perfect. Heck, I fill them with air first to be sure it is sitting right before filling. As you are not going to move it once it's half full. Good luck!

I actually looked at that bag but the locker is only 16" wide and if I remember 19" deep. I didn't want to put pressure on the side walls and lose all that storage, but hey if it works then great! I will give that or the Sumo a try if the W730 doesn't work out.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I actually looked at that bag but the locker is only 16" wide and if I remember 19" deep. I didn't want to put pressure on the side walls and lose all that storage, but hey if it works then great! I will give that or the Sumo a try if the W730 doesn't work out.
I think that's the whole point, more weight equates to more mass. If you want more than 400lbs etc, you have to use more water, which takes more space. Unless you go to something more dense, like lead. The whole point of water, is you only put in what you need, and the days you don't need the space, you go to full.

You can't do that with lead, and as pointed out above, you can't get rid of the weight when you just want to run light. The pressure on the sidewalls is a non issue. You are not putting 700lbs against the side of the ski locker, and even if you were, it is spread as evenly as it possibly can. It is a non issue.

Take a look at the factory ballast on an X model.