• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best Pre-Emptive Spare Parts

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, My SX230 has been great so far, no complaints in the almost first year of ownership. My prior seadoo jetboat was a few years older had quite a few things replaced. Mostly wear rings, Exhaust parts that are prone to leaking on seadoos, carburetors, and the starters and starter solenoids and coils (solenoid and coil ended up underwater after some poor choices, so these were not the boats fault.

I accumulated quite a few spare parts in order to be prepared for the weekend and I was seldom ever stumped and managed to repair almost anything that came up for the weekend.

I believe Luck is a combination of preparedness and opportunity, so I'm working on the preparedness part. What should I have in stock? Is a stater and Starter Relay overkill for a 10 year old boat to keep in stock? What else would make sense/seem appropriate?

Thanks for your feedback.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Although I never had to use them, I kept a pair of pliers on board so I could crimp off the water lines to an engine if needed...That way I wouldn't have to limp back to port on one engine.

Also keep somethign to cut out debris through the man hole covers. Even if you don't ski/board, you never know. For example, last weekend as I headed out to the lake, my starboard engine had quite a bit of cavitations. So I stopped and opened up the man hole only to find a woody twig wrapped about 20x around the shaft. Luckily it wasn't too tight so I was able to unwind it...If it were any tighter, I would have had to cut it out.

On your 230, if it hasn't been done, you NEED to change out your scupper for a stainless one. If you still have a plastic one, then you are on borrowed time before it breaks. There's lots of advice on here on how to change it.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with all the others, seven years and only needed spark plugs and had some sealant come loose in the tunnel,

I might could see buying a spare impeller but no weekend is important enough for me to keep an inventory in the garage (although I must admit I keep an eye out for a cheap waverunner that I could harvest an engine and ecu from if ever needed)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This is a Yamaha. Vast difference in routine and expected maintenance. Things can happen, but they are rare, past the above mentioned. In addition to above mentioned, I always kept a 7' length of weed eater line coiled up in my tool kit to clear a pee hole that a dirt dobber might make a nest in. And I kept the sample kit from Boat Bling of Hot Sauce, Vinyl Sauce, Vinyl Cleaner, and also a spray bottle for water, along with micro fiber towels. Believe it or not, they are going to be used more often and unexpectedly than all of your tools and spare parts. My tool kit was about like the others. I had a selection of curved carpet blades in addition to straight cut, for my utility knife for rope cutouts. I also had the necessary sockets to remove a pump if need be. Truth be told, you will have more trailer issues than with the boat. Maintain your clean out plugs too. It's sounding better all the time isn't it?!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I keep oil, a toolkit and a package (like a tackle box) of stainless nuts/bolts/screws/washers that I've collected over the years (this box makes its way on and off the boat at various times, but when on a boat vacation...it goes on)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I carry a spare gas cap (the original I upgraded from), an assortment of fuses, thumb screws that act as mounting and pivot points for the bimini top (I learned to keep a few spares of these onboard the hard way) and the most recently used spark plugs. I also have the stock impellers but don't carry them on the boat (conceptually replacing a damaged impeller is a simple process in practice its been a real Pain in the A$$ for me and I can't imagine having to do so on the ramp/parking lot or worse out on the water/beach. I have a few tools on board but I don't consider them spare parts. Thankfully I don't have to buy/carry spare carbon rings or relays that some of the Scarab owners do.

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, My SX230 has been great so far, no complaints in the almost first year of ownership. My prior seadoo jetboat was a few years older had quite a few things replaced. Mostly wear rings, Exhaust parts that are prone to leaking on seadoos, carburetors, and the starters and starter solenoids and coils (solenoid and coil ended up underwater after some poor choices, so these were not the boats fault.

I accumulated quite a few spare parts in order to be prepared for the weekend and I was seldom ever stumped and managed to repair almost anything that came up for the weekend.

I believe Luck is a combination of preparedness and opportunity, so I'm working on the preparedness part. What should I have in stock? Is a stater and Starter Relay overkill for a 10 year old boat to keep in stock? What else would make sense/seem appropriate?

Thanks for your feedback.
When I bought my boat several years ago, I used another (unnamed) forum to learn about these boats. This forum is even better...

The spare parts that I carry are:

set of plugs
a few quarts of oil
electrical tape
tools, including clamps for hoses in the event of single engine ops (happened to me on remote lake once)
heavy utility knife
spare drain plug
spare key set hidden on boat
2 full sets of spare fuses (storage in EEC units)
laminated print outs of instructions from this website on how to clamp hoses

-One of the best tools we all have is the ability to access this forum and get real-time help while out on the water. Happened to me and I had answers within minutes of my post for help!

Eric

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hose pinch tool
Spark plugs
Factory tool set plus a 4 way screwdriver, wire cutters, pliers
Zip ties
Fuses
Silicone
Anti seize
A few different sizes and shapes of knives
Cigarette lighter
POOL NOODLE somewhere in the boat. It can plug holes, pad sharp corners, provide flotation when needed

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I keep a spare bottle of rum, oh and some limes.:jimlad::jimlad::jimlad:
Full disclosure, I use my boat to party, I never boat in inclement weather, I am never more that a couple of hundred yards from shore or another boat. All my friends have boats so if I have a problem I just call a friend and make another drink . :jimlad::jimlad::jimlad:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The tools are great, I keep a full set on board at all times.

As for spare parts I keep hose clamps, a spare aft ladder rubber retainer, quart of oil, hose pinch pliers, and a lot of zip ties.

I'm seeing quite a few of y'all recommending fuses..... is it a normal occurrence to blow a fuse?