• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best Speakers to replace stock 2016 242 LS speakers?

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I already upgraded my 2016 242 LS with wetsounds amplifier and 10" subwoofer, but wanted to swap out the 6 stock Polk speakers with something better.
Any recommendations?
Polk MM652's a big improvement over the stock Polk that come with the boat?
Any other 6.5 speakers that people recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Demo

Seibert74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
On my Yamaha SX192, I replaced my factory Polk DB651 speakers with Polk MM652 speakers and I am more than happy with the increase in sound quality. I power each pair of MM652 speakers with a Polk PA D 2000.2 amplifier for a total of 150 watts per channel. For the subwoofer duties, I employed a Polk MM1242 DVC subwoofer powered by a Polk PA D1000.1 mono subwoofer amplifier for a total of 1150 watts. All together, the system is quite musical, clear-as-a-bell, and can easily overpower the engine noise at full throttle.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. I'll likely go that route too with the MM652. When they installed the amplifier and subwoofer - they disconnected my tower speakers because they were coming in way too loud. Hopefully they can tweak or hook those up as well.

Seibert74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. I'll likely go that route too with the MM652. When they installed the amplifier and subwoofer - they disconnected my tower speakers because they were coming in way too loud. Hopefully they can tweak or hook those up as well.
My head unit is a Fusion MS-RA70 and it has dual zone output. You can easily adjust the output of each zone independently - in your case you could tame the volume disparity between your cabin speakers and your tower speakers with that head unit.

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are the MM52 a direct replacement for the stock speakers on a 2016 212X?

Seibert74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Yes. Both the Polk DB651 and MM652 require a 5" diameter hole for a top mount. Even the bolt holes line up the same. On my SX192, I simply unscrewed and removed the stock DB651's and inserted the MM652's. Easy peezy.

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes. Both the Polk DB651 and MM652 require a 5" diameter hole for a top mount. Even the bolt holes line up the same. On my SX192, I simply unscrewed and removed the stock DB651's and inserted the MM652's. Easy peezy.
Thank you very much. I have an amp and my system isn’t that bad, it’s just what I need since I don’t really like loud music. But I’m wondering if it’s worth it to replace the 6 speakers that I have, any thoughts? Thanks.

Seibert74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Thank you very much. I have an amp and my system isn’t that bad, it’s just what I need since I don’t really like loud music. But I’m wondering if it’s worth it to replace the 6 speakers that I have, any thoughts? Thanks.
Music reproduction is extremely subjective as everyone's ears are different. For me, it was worth the upgrade since I have been an audiophile for the past 30 years and appreciate fine sound systems. The stock DB651's are an excellent speaker for the money and probably are fine for the vast number of people. I just wanted a rich, detailed sound in my boat, as well as a ton of headroom in case I turn up the volume when no one is around. The MM652's afford me that luxury. Keep in mind that the MM652's require more stout amplification than the DB651's do. In the final analysis, if you are happy with the DB651's and don't turn up the music often, you probably won't appreciate the MM652's as much as I do. Properly amplified and tuned, the DB651's are a great speaker.

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Music reproduction is extremely subjective as everyone's ears are different. For me, it was worth the upgrade since I have been an audiophile for the past 30 years and appreciate fine sound systems. The stock DB651's are an excellent speaker for the money and probably are fine for the vast number of people. I just wanted a rich, detailed sound in my boat, as well as a ton of headroom in case I turn up the volume when no one is around. The MM652's afford me that luxury. Keep in mind that the MM652's require more stout amplification than the DB651's do. In the final analysis, if you are happy with the DB651's and don't turn up the music often, you probably won't appreciate the MM652's as much as I do. Properly amplified and tuned, the DB651's are a great speaker.
I didn’t really express myself correctly, even though I don’t like loud obnoxious music, I do enjoy crisp, mid range volume tones. These speakers are on sale for $129 pair. Since the replacement should be an easy plug and play, I’m going for it. I will be able to replace all 6 speakers for under $500. Thank you for your input.

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry about the amateur question, I need the 6.5 size right?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I replaced my 6.5 DB tower speakers with MMs and they sound so much better. I'm actually thinking of swapping the other 3 pairs of DBs out as well.

Seibert74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I replaced my 6.5 DB tower speakers with MMs and they sound so much better. I'm actually thinking of swapping the other 3 pairs of DBs out as well.
For my ears, the switch was definitely worth it! My system is clear as a bell, has great mid-range tone, deep and tuneful bass, and all the volume my ears can stand!

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went ahead with the Rockford 2652 - to replace each of the six Polk speakers - it will be done next week - I'll let you know the results

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did your 212x come with an amp that you replaced with a better unit, or are the speakers driven off the head unit only and you added an amp to boost volume? Curious to know what's in there stock?
❓

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did your 212x come with an amp that you replaced with a better unit, or are the speakers driven off the head unit only and you added an amp to boost volume? Curious to know what's in there stock?
❓
No amp. Came with 6 speakers. I just order the MM652s that were suggested here to me. I can fit the 652s in the cockpit and bow with no problem, had an issue with the swim platform. The 652 is too big, so I exchange a pair of 652s for the 552s. I’ll be finishing the install on Friday since I’m out of the country. I did a quick fit to make sure that the 652s would work, they did sound way better than the stock speakers.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hope that sounds good. I'll be installing my Rockford 2652 speakers on Friday (swapping out the 242LS stock speakers) - and may see what it would take to put two tower speakers as well.

Dalesy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On my Yamaha SX192, I replaced my factory Polk DB651 speakers with Polk MM652 speakers and I am more than happy with the increase in sound quality. I power each pair of MM652 speakers with a Polk PA D 2000.2 amplifier for a total of 150 watts per channel. For the subwoofer duties, I employed a Polk MM1242 DVC subwoofer powered by a Polk PA D1000.1 mono subwoofer amplifier for a total of 1150 watts. All together, the system is quite musical, clear-as-a-bell, and can easily overpower the engine noise at full throttle.
What do you use to power great setup?