• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best Trailer Tires For More Weight?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm thinking about adding 500lbs in moveable lead weight in the boat next year. Gear, coolers, stereo equipment are probably another 400lbs. That puts my trailering weight nearly 1k pounds over stock. Any suggestions for a tire that could handle the extra load? We do a lot of trailering.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm thinking about adding 500lbs in moveable lead weight in the boat next year. Gear, coolers, stereo equipment are probably another 400lbs. That puts my trailering weight nearly 1k pounds over stock. Any suggestions for a tire that could handle the extra load? We do a lot of trailering.
Just switch to radials Carlisle or Goodyears.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@anmut
I purchased Goodyear tires ST215/75R14 108N LR-D ENDURANCE BSW TL
Product Code #724-865-519-0
I Got them at Just Tires, a friend got me a deal on all 5) $503.11, I brought the rims in and they mounted them.
Owner at Just Tires recommended the Goodyear Endurance. He had to order them but it only took a few days.
Maybe info will help you in the correct direction. These have the D-load rating

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dont know what brand 14 inch tire had a heavier load capacity but there was one. But to get way more options you definitely need to jump up to 15 inch rims

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know it is not exactly addressing your post, but we trailer relatively a lot and I stopped reading trailer tire reviews and ratings, too much inconsistency. I have had best luck just getting whatever a local trailer shop currently recommends... Radials, for sure. And best to be change them every 2-3 years regardless of wear, going by age not mileage.
Current tires are some no name "hi-run" something, and... they have been great! run smooth and been holding pressure pretty much perfect, I keep them at max cold tire psi, check before I trailer, try to relieve some weight with jacks under the trailer if sitting for more than a week at the time. Seem to work better than my last radial Carlyles. I've come to think a local trailer shop, if you trust them, will now best what's currently okay and I go with that. Ratings for trailer tires are largely bogus, and in my experience keeping the tires fresh and inflated to the max is the best insurance.
My 0.02

Now, if Michelin starts making trailer tires for our trailers - I would like to know! I don't think they do.

--

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now, if Michelin starts making trailer tires for our trailers - I would like to know! I don't think they do.
I wish they would make a trailer tire. I run 16" Michelins on our camper, but they're the LTX load range E truck tire, not a ST. I'm tired of playing the trailer tire game and constantly worrying that they are going to blowout on me and damage the side of the camper. When it was time for replacements I replaced the stock 15" rims with 16" trailer rims so it was easier to get a LT tire to fit. Now I can run as fast as I want to burn diesel when on good roads. I typically will run 70 unless the flow is faster and I feel I'm a hazard holding up traffic and I'll adjust as needed. I don't worry about my tires blowing apart while running higher speeds for extended periods of time. Now, if I could only get a 16" rim, with LT tire, to fit on my poor boat trailer!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wish they would make a trailer tire. I run 16" Michelins on our camper, but they're the LTX load range E truck tire, not a ST. I'm tired of playing the trailer tire game and constantly worrying that they are going to blowout on me and damage the side of the camper. When it was time for replacements I replaced the stock 15" rims with 16" trailer rims so it was easier to get a LT tire to fit. Now I can run as fast as I want to burn diesel when on good roads. I typically will run 70 unless the flow is faster and I feel I'm a hazard holding up traffic and I'll adjust as needed. I don't worry about my tires blowing apart while running higher speeds for extended periods of time. Now, if I could only get a 16" rim, with LT tire, to fit on my poor boat trailer!
That's great. Unfortunately, my Shorlandr fenders won't accomodate anything over the factory 14", I believe.

Come to think of it, every trailer tire blowout I ever had has always been hitting an object, I'm pretty religious about changing, inflating tires, and keeping an eye on the hubs and tires temps.

Funny, the last blowout was my moving trip here form MO to NJ. Yeah, a little NJ-style welcome, hitting a piece of metal in the middle lane of Hwy 80 East, lol.

As luck would have it, it was around 3am, Memorial Day Saturday (lol, just my luck); two dogs with me and no help. Fun...

The problem was, both of my trailer tires were slashed on one side, so should I consider myself fairly fortunate in this case being able to retain control and pull over, could had been much worse. Since I carried only one spare I couldn't fix it right there, and I was in a tight spot and couldn't unhook the truck either to drive away as the trailer was too rolled over to the side. The service guy finally showed up, after about two miserable hours, but he wasn't equipped to help with the trailer situation. The best he and I could manage was to get the rear trailer wheel swapped with the spare and take the other (blown) wheel off, then just compress the front spring and strap it up to keep it from dragging. Fortunately, I had a ratchet strap and a spare bow winch strap I carried with me (he carried nothing), so we used that...

Anyway, I was able to continue and limp forward to my new home, riding the last 30 miles at 20mph in breakdown lane, lol.
That was a true white knuckle ride; but, made it.
1606451700230.png

Bigger wheels wouldn't help me in this particular situation, but I still wish I could get some.
May need to modify the Shorlandr fenders, if anyone here shows me how!

--

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a link to a string where a member replaced the 14” tires on his shorelander trailer with 15”s.

After having a tire detach while trailering to the lake (my fault for running with no grease in the bearing), I replaced all my tires with goodyear endurance 215/75/14 with a d rating (as I recall 2200 lbs. load capacity v. 1800 ish for c rated). To get more capacity you have to move from 14”s to 15”s. Another consideration when moving to d rated tires for the increased load capacity is that you may have to upgrade the rims as well. The stock rims are only rated to 1800 or 1900 lbs.

I love my new tires and rims but regret not upgrading to 15”s. I wasn’t sure they would fit on my 2010 mfi trailer.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a link to a string where a member replaced the 14” tires on his shorelander trailer with 15”s.

After having a tire detach while trailering to the lake (my fault for running with no grease in the bearing), I replaced all my tires with goodyear endurance 215/75/14 with a d rating (as I recall 2200 lbs. load capacity v. 1800 ish for c rated). To get more capacity you have to move from 14”s to 15”s. Another consideration when moving to d rated tires for the increased load capacity is that you may have to upgrade the rims as well. The stock rims are only rated to 1800 or 1900 lbs.

I love my new tires and rims but regret not upgrading to 15”s. I wasn’t sure they would fit on my 2010 mfi trailer.
Thanks, I forgot about this. Looking at my trailer though with the new fenders (Shorlandr had a recall on all our 2015-2020? 240-242 fenders a year or to ago) I remember thinking it would be a very tight fit at best. But I shall look again at some point. Not been unhappy though since the new fenders where put on - which do not shake! (Yay, lol)

--

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unfortunately, my Shorlandr fenders won't accomodate anything over the factory 14", I believe.
I've got the MFI trailer with metal fenders. I've had one completely replaced after my first blowout when it became so mangled when the tred separated and flapped for several miles. Couldn't understand what that strange vibration was. Several years later I had the 2.5 hour turn 9 hour trip back home from hell with twin blowouts. It was on the same side as the fender that was replaced before. It was beat up some, but I was able to straighten it out and give it a quick spray of rattle can black paint to make it look better and protect it from rusting. I was running a higher then normal speed rated trailer tire that also had a higher load rating then I'd run in the past. The tires that failed me were less then 2 years old and might have had 800 miles on them. Needless to say I was pissed after that long night. I went back to Maxxis after that.

The fitment issue I've noticed for mine to go up in tire sizes is not with the fenders, but the gap between the tires. I could go up one size to 15", but not 2. That doesn't do me any good. My trailer is still in good shape so I can't justify buying a new one to get my 16's. If we decide to start boating in saltwater with this boat, we haven't yet, then a new aluminum I-beam will get put on the list.

@swatski I'm really enjoying seeing your new local waters of the NYC area. Being on NY harbor on a ferry doing the tourist thing I couldn't imagine having our little Yamaha in those rough waters. Can't wait to see what ya'll get into with your new Parker.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got the MFI trailer with metal fenders. I've had one completely replaced after my first blowout when it became so mangled when the tred separated and flapped for several miles. Couldn't understand what that strange vibration was. Several years later I had the 2.5 hour turn 9 hour trip back home from hell with twin blowouts. It was on the same side as the fender that was replaced before. It was beat up some, but I was able to straighten it out and give it a quick spray of rattle can black paint to make it look better and protect it from rusting. I was running a higher then normal speed rated trailer tire that also had a higher load rating then I'd run in the past. The tires that failed me were less then 2 years old and might have had 800 miles on them. Needless to say I was pissed after that long night. I went back to Maxxis after that.

The fitment issue I've noticed for mine to go up in tire sizes is not with the fenders, but the gap between the tires. I could go up one size to 15", but not 2. That doesn't do me any good. My trailer is still in good shape so I can't justify buying a new one to get my 16's. If we decide to start boating in saltwater with this boat, we haven't yet, then a new aluminum I-beam will get put on the list.

@swatski I'm really enjoying seeing your new local waters of the NYC area. Being on NY harbor on a ferry doing the tourist thing I couldn't imagine having our little Yamaha in those rough waters. Can't wait to see what ya'll get into with your new Parker.
That's very good info.
I would just add one more thing to this general discussion to point out smaller tires have their merit, if not strait advantage, when it comes to shallow ramps.
In my case, for years I used a very nice public ramp on Mississippi River (pool 26) under the Alton new bridge. At low water levels it becomes very shallow as it is long and flat angle, a couple inches in trailer height would be a go/no go difference there, not infrequently, with the next deeper ramp up in Grafton, 20 mile down the road. Of course one could, alternatively, use one of those hitch receiver extenders... but that is like a death wish for boat trailers at highway speeds, IMO.
Currently, I don't have that issue though, all the ramps I tend to use are deep enough even at the lowest tide, so I'd be happy to go bigger on trailer wheels.

--

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Bumping this thread - went to Goodyear Endurance radials last year and will be hauling 500lbs of lead weight in my boat this summer for the first time. Beyond that I have a full sound system and an extra house battery. Weight is spread out throughout the boat. I'm guessing my wet weight is about 4500-4800lbs on the 2020 212S now.

Wish me luck! :)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bumping this thread - went to Goodyear Endurance radials last year and will be hauling 500lbs of lead weight in my boat this summer for the first time. Beyond that I have a full sound system and an extra house battery. Weight is spread out throughout the boat. I'm guessing my wet weight is about 4500-4800lbs on the 2020 212S now.

Wish me luck! :)
If you went with the D load rated GY / Endurance (IIs?), you should be fine at 4,800 lbs.

My boat and trailer (2010 242 LS) should be to 6,000 + and the GYs have never given me an issue.
0BEE0270-8592-46CD-AC35-7C6868CAE34F.png

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If you went with the D load rated GY / Endurance (IIs?), you should be fine at 4,800 lbs.

My boat and trailer (2010 242 LS) should be to 6,000 + and the GYs have never given me an issue.
View attachment 200080
Thanks! I'm more worried about frame or bearing issues than tire issues at this point.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just an update on this - trailer is rated for 5900lbs and tires are class D. Confidence is high!

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just an update on this - trailer is rated for 5900lbs and tires are class D. Confidence is high!
I replaced mine with Class D’s before the 1st long trip. Like the rest of the trailer everything that is included is garbage and did not come how it should have.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I replaced mine with Class D’s before the 1st long trip. Like the rest of the trailer everything that is included is garbage and did not come how it should have.
Stock tires are absolute trash - otherwise it's been pretty good so-far. Of course, my trailer was built in November of 2019, before the "we'll hire anyone with a face" manufacturing period of Covid and post-Covid.