• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best wave possible in a jet boat?? maybe... & Final Ballast setup

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So after I first purchased my 2017 212x and put it in the water, I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the wave it produced with just stock ballast....

I recalled meeting at dude at the boat dealer on day (@Julian ) and remember him telling me about a jetboat forum that would answer almost every question I ever had about my 212x. Fast forward to now and I have to say that he was right. Members like @jcyamaharider and @swatski have really paved the way to where I am now, surfing a pretty respectable wave from my 212x. I also cant forget to give my wife a HUGE shout out for being an AWESOME boat pilot allowing me to selfishly surf :)

The video shows my final ballast setup that nicely compliments my Gantlin wake wedge spitting out a pretty nice wave. The attached picture shows my newly installed pump that fills my bags up fast allowing me to move the hose from bag to bag with a high flow rate.

note- end of video has the wave "mushing" out and losing push due to the depth in that part of the lake. Normally we steer clear of the shallow point.

PS. no more wake surfing videos of me.... even I am getting tired of seeing them on here. lol. But I thought it added some value to everyone searching for the perfect jet boat surf wave :)

Attachments

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great vid and awesome wave! We need more surf vids on here so not sure why you would want to stop lol

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great vid and awesome wave! We need more surf vids on here so not sure why you would want to stop lol
Thanks buddy
lol... just don't want to flood the forum of the same videos of me surfing over and over.... if have something new that will provide value to the group, then yes I will :)

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Great job!!!!
I have the same boat so will be following your lead here.... the bags didn't really look totally full? Were those the size bags you got?
about 80% filled???

Thanks

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great job!!!!
I have the same boat so will be following your lead here.... the bags didn't really look totally full? Were those the size bags you got?
about 80% filled???

Thanks
You are correct. My 750 on the rear seat was about 80%, the two on the back swim deck were about 90-95%. Despite not being at 100%, the wave had great "push" with a fairly large pocket. So much so that my rear thigh was on fire from "braking" so much.

I didn't go 100% on the bags because I anticipated having another passenger onboard (which fell through)...we typically have at least 3 or 4 people onboard. I think filling the bags to capacity would steepen up the wave considerably which I will test this weekend.

I think the ultimate goal is to get the swim deck (on the surf side) at least a couple inches below the water line. Whatever ballast weight that may be (combined with the Wake Wedge) is what you are looking for. This of course is specific to the '17 212x.... Some of the AR series boats that I have seen have a high swim deck relative to the water line.

Last edited: