• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Best way to buff out scratches?

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yesterday was our boats 11th expedition, and noticed that the bow "roller" had scuffed up the boat pretty good because someone didnt tighten the bow strap (me) like they should have. Ive gotten some very minor scratches (most of which dont catch your nail) over the last few months and that got me thinking; how would I buff these scratches out if I had the time?

Who has had some experience with this before?

I would buff with Shurhold Buff Magic or your favorite buffing compound. If that is not enough to remove the scratches then I would use wet sand paper, 220 grit, to remove the scratches, make sure you keep the area wet while sanding. After wet sanding I would buff again and then wax.

autogeek_2271_141827331

I bought this from harbor frieght:

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-electronic-polisher-66615.html

Bought 3m rubbing compound:
http://www.premiumboatcare.com/3m-g...productid=3m-gelcoat-compound&channelid=FROOG

And Attwood cleaner wax and polish:
http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-...30100-1.aspx?gclid=CLn__J_dvL0CFY1xOgodtEMA1g
http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-41258-attwood-premium-marine-polish-with-ptef-16-oz-30108-1.aspx

You will need two buffing pads, one for compounding and one for polishing.

Set the RPM at 1500 (dont go too high or you'll burn the finish) and apply the rubbing compound with the polisher. It will take some time but compound until the scratches turn grey and they start to disappear. Then switch to the polishing pad and apply at the same RPM the cleaner wax. You should do this until the you cant see the scratches anymore. Then apply the polish by hand with an applicator and clean terry cloth.

This method works well for me and my black hull. Its not cheap (especially if you get the 3m polishing and compounding pads) but worth it in my opinion.

I dont know if I like the look of the SS bow roller guard (but like a scuffed up bow even less), but Ill buy the Stoltz roller this week as soon as I can figure out which size is right for my trailer.

Hey did you make it down to winter haven this weekend? We didn't make it out on the chain. Weather wasn't good.

If you repeatedly buff out scratches in a frequently scratched area do you not risk buffing through the gelcoat?

Joshb723 we made it out yesterday. Started off cool but ended up being beautiful! One of the best chains of lakes ive been on so far.

Bruce, youre correct. The reason it got all scraped up is because I have a crappy stock bow stop, and I left it way too loose on an hour drive home. I wont buff it out till I have the proper bow stop installed anyway.

Awesome! We went out yesterday for about an hour or so on eagle lake.
In regards to the now roller, I had some scratches from mine too, switched to the stoltz and haven't had a scratch since.

Back