• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Big Majors Cay - The Exhumas

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Exhumas come up frequently in our Bimini trip planning so I thought I would start a thread specifically on this amazing future destination. This trip would be 226 each way from Bimini. My guess is that the trip would require approximately 270 gallons of fuel for a 230 / 240 sized boat. At $6 a gallon this is over $1600 of fuel.

My family has a desire to go see the pigs on Big Majors Cay at some point in the future. Doing so would be dependent on excellent weather and carrying extra fuel.

Big Majors Cay is 226 miles from Bimini with two approximately 90 mile hops making up the majority of the distance. This would involve stopping at Chub Cay in the Berry Islands and Nassau along the way. My guess is that Bimini to Nassau could be a one day trip covering 135 miles in approximately 5 hours (6 to 11). Then spend the afternoon and evening in Nassau and cover the remaining 90 miles the next day. That evening would be spent at the Staniel Cay Yacht Club.

Chub Cay, Nassau and Staniel Cay all have fuel available and we would need to refuel at each. Nassau has groceries so we could pick up extra food to cut down on how much we needed to carry.

Here are Navoincs distances for the trip

Bimini to Chub Cay

Nassau to Big Majors Cay

This is Bimini to Andros

And Andros to Nassau

It makes little difference whether we stop in Chub Cay or Andros to fuel up between Bimini and Nassau. The distances are almost the same. So we might try a different one for each direction. Trying to go directly to Nassau is about 10 miles shorter but would require more fuel or greater risk of running out.

I realized that I had left out the most important part of the map. 83.3 miles from Atlantis Marina to Big Major Cay. Who else thinks it would be fun tp spend a night at Atlantis?

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
That's a lot of fuel but that's an awesome trip!
Kite sail for some of it? Don't mock free energy! Just need wind behind ya.
So this will absolutely require fuel tanks of some sort?

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Another place to stop in that area for lodging is Compass Cay. Probably more expensive than Staniel Cay but they have a beach on the east side of the island that is an awesome secluded place for a midnight walk.

That being said, that's a lot of money to spend to see swimming bacon ;)

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So this will absolutely require fuel tanks of some sort?
All of the hops are within range of a 230, 240, 212HO even a 190 but I would want to have extra fuel on board just in case.

A fuel bladder in the ski locker could add 50 to 80 gallons of fuel (300 to 480 pounds). With this amount of fuel we would be able to jump straight from Bimini to Nassau. The fuel bladder and plumbing would likely cost around $1000.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You guys are crazy! No freaking way... not on a bow rider.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Whats up with them pigs?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Whats up with them pigs?
the pigs were left on the island decades ago and over time have become semi domestic and also learned to swim. When they see someone approach they come out to meet them and hope for some food.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd do it just for the fun of it......but #3 is the killer
Eventually someone is going to call you a "chicken" or "triple dog dare you".

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
There are also a bunch of feral cats there. Alas, if they learned to swim, they aren't telling.

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
To add to the discussion....

The mystique of following Kevin and Corrie's path is a huge factor for us, not so much to follow, just see the sites. I am in no way a "camping" kind of guy but don't mind it, here is kind of what we had in mind....

Day 1 Fla to Bimini to Chub - you're fresh and excited, get the worst out of the way
Day 2 Chub to Nassau to Allan Cay - beach camp it south of Allan
Day 3 Allan to where ever you want south, no rush. explore, sun down find an inviting beach and lay claim - beach bbq type deal. (have to be mindful of the park cays, no camping as I understand it)
Day 4 beach bbq to Staniel
Day 5 Staniel and explore area -pigs, grotto, Sampson, ect
Day 6 Staniel north to Norman area
Day 7 Norman to Nassau to Chub
Day 8 Chub to Bimini
Day 9 Bimini explore
Day 10 Bimini to Fla

obviously be ready to adjust as needed

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Big Majors Cay is 226 miles from Bimini with two approximately 90 mile hops making up the majority of the distance. This would involve stopping at Chub Cay in the Berry Islands and Nassau along the way. My guess is that Bimini to Nassau could be a one day trip covering 135 miles in approximately 5 hours (6 to 11). Then spend the afternoon and evening in Nassau and cover the remaining 90 miles the next day. That evening would be spent at the Staniel Cay Yacht Club.
You have more open water experience than me, you lead I would follow. My only reservation, the Tongue of the Ocean on a perfect day isn't a quick trip for our size of boats. Have a cousin with a 55' boat in tampa and hes made the trip several times and he dreads that part.

perfect conditions, leave 6am hit bimini @ 8? hit customs and refuel at least an hour I would imagine for multiple boats. 9 to 1 to Chub. refuel boats, an hour. 2 hours across tongue. doable under ideal conditions. I do have a concern for the boat and everything loaded on it overnighting in Nassau. Bimini, Chub, Staniel, not so much. thoughts?

Chris-MS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Okay... I read this and I must say I am intrigued. If it was a group of boats that I know would care for my family as I would yours, if something happened, I am more than interested. My first question would be if a boat has an unrepairable problem, what happens to the boat and the crew? Obviously the crew boards another boat.

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Okay... I read this and I must say I am intrigued. If it was a group of boats that I know would care for my family as I would yours, if something happened, I am more than interested. My first question would be if a boat has an unrepairable problem, what happens to the boat and the crew? Obviously the crew boards another boat.
my first thought regarding unrepairable problem would be, transfer crew, tow boat to closest harbor/marina and then decide what to do. at least an airport is relatively close once you reach Chub or are in the exuma's themselves. Nassau and Staniel, airports.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bruce. did I add that up right..435 miles one way or are the legs duplicated (zoomed)in those first images

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Depending where you are and how much your boat is worth you have to weigh the cost of part delivery and finding a mechanic to repair it (fly in from Miami/Lauderdale) or a few thousand dollar tow back to the States.
Your crew can hop a ride with another boat or fly back. Don't forget to fly back to the Bahamas to repair or pick up your repaired boat and pay storage fees then make the return crossing alone. The expensive tow ranks at the top of my list.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
hit customs and refuel at least an hour I would imagine for multiple boats.
You are talking about Bimini right? Customs and refuel in an hour :banghead: That was us last year waiting for customs. Good luck with that... :D You'll be lucky to be back on the water by noon.

My first question would be if a boat has an unrepairable problem, what happens to the boat and the crew? Obviously the crew boards another boat.
Sad to say but sink her!!! :D Seriously though, good question but ???

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think I'd leave a cigar smouldering on the fuel line...hug her one more time....and...sniffle...swim away

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like a good idea until you get dinged for fuel spill clean up.