• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bigger guy -- smaller wake -- WakeSurf board advice

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello all -

I failed to find anything on our forums about bigger guys wakesurf boards. I am not huge -- 6' 4" @ 240lbs, but it comes with its challenges. This year i am looking to invest in a better wakesurfer and I was hoping for your advice. I currently own a landlock that i got used and relatively inexpensive. It has served its purpose -- prove we enjoy surfing and it allows everyone to get up and get the feel of the wave, but there is no chance we are going to be able to drop the rope with that board and my size -- so it is time to invest. Reading up, you get what you pay for if the name of the game for Wake surfers, but I have also read that Wakeboard companies turning out surfboards are iffy at best too (Is that still true, or was that true 5 years ago and they have come a long way). Currently I am trying to find a hangover 2017 Inland surfer TAKO based on some other forums advice, but seeing that is hard to come by, I am turning to you -- If you were me and had $500 to invest on a good "Boat" board that anyone can ride and we will move towards dropping a rope this year

I know there are a lot of options out there, so feel free to recommend your own, or comment on:
Inland surfer TAKO
Inland surfer Blue lake (Pushing the budget a lot)
Ronix Koal fish classic
RONIX the Blender

Note : I know you all have your favorite board, I am specifically looking for a board that will fit my specs the best and will be a good board for everyone to progress on.

Much appreciated,
Cameron

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm by no means an expert. But I'm 5'10 - 225 and can go ropeless easily behind my 212X. Going ropeless is about (A) having enough ballast, we use stock ballast of approx 1100lbs plus at least one 750lbs fat sack plus 3-4 people. It seems 2000lbs is a minimum? I also use the WakeWedge. (B) learning how to surf the wave, feeling the pocket and understanding when to shift weight to the front foot to keep momentum going. From what Ive read the board is 3rd on the list.... But others may disagree.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm by no means an expert. But I'm 5'10 - 225 and can go ropeless easily behind my 212X. Going ropeless is about (A) having enough ballast, we use stock ballast of approx 1100lbs plus at least one 750lbs fat sack plus 3-4 people. It seems 2000lbs is a minimum? I also use the WakeWedge. (B) learning how to surf the wave, feeling the pocket and understanding when to shift weight to the front foot to keep momentum going. From what Ive read the board is 3rd on the list.... But others may disagree.
I agree with the above, but it's not A, B, or C in any kind of order...it's all of the above. I don't think that brand or price is the issue but the size and buoyancy of the board. Less size/less buoyancy requires bigger wave/more ballast...all things being equal. Smaller wave requires bigger size board/more buoyancy. Bigger person requires bigger wave AND bigger/more buoyant board....or a mix thereof. I weigh less now, but when I was 220 we had to load up with everything we had and people (2,200 lbs)....and now at 190 it certainly easier and the wave doesn't have to be perfect.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m just getting started down this road, and don’t have any real world advice but here are a couple boards that I’ve found.

https://www.evo.com/wakesurf-boards/inland-surfer-red-rocket-board#image=131977/549336/inland-surfer-red-rocket-wakesurf-board-2018-5-6-.jpg 300 lbs

Bazooka - http://thewalkerproject.com/product/bazooka/ up to 350lbs $799

** http://chaossurfco.com/wakesurfboards/chaos-ringer-xl xxl up to 360lbs $750

The Walker Project was endorsed by a video from the Wake9 guys. But, the video didn’t have any audio so I couldn’t actually hear what they were saying about it.

Today, I’m 6’4” and 300+, so I’m interested in feedback from actual big guys too. :)

I’m not ready to pony up $750 on these boards above, though. This summer, the focus is on getting the wife driving and surfing and hopefully I’ll get a few chances to ride behind some other boats to see what will be feasible.

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@scokill & @AJR1977 -- Thanks for the feedback

Yes, Last summer I was running 800 lbs on swim deck, 600 on port seat and 400 over gas tank. we were getting a decent pocket -- Wake wedge may be the next investment -- but I still feel confident that the Landlocked will be the limiting factor, basesd on reviews on other forums. a lot of guys on the "Real" surfboat forums say going ropeless on a landlock is hard. it is a big adn slow board. What boards do you guys surf on? any thoughts on brand?

@BigAbe75 -- Yes, for your size, I have read great things about the red rocket, but I am in a similar mental block -- dropping $800+ on a board feels steep, but that is my question -- do you get what you pay for? P.s. I really enjoyed your Google dock in your signature. Great way to keep track. I currently use a list app (probably designed to manage grocery lists, but I may have to adopt your google docs method for off season repairs and upgrades.

CP

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 P.s. I really enjoyed your Google dock in your signature. Great way to keep track.
Thanks! I’m finding that I’m using it enough that a thread on here like some folks do would be too unwieldy, and I didn’t really want my signature to get too long to have each one listed and linked. (Though, I do love how handy @Julian ’s signature is for finding stuff.). I felt like a linked doc could give me both, but other users have to know to click on it, or I need to mention it if directing someone to more info.

This week, I did figure out how to create bookmarks and hyperlink within my google doc, so that table of contents now acts like a live index in that you can click on a mod and it will jump to that section. Minimizes the scrolling if someone was looking for something in particular.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@scokill & @AJR1977 -- Thanks for the feedback

Yes, Last summer I was running 800 lbs on swim deck, 600 on port seat and 400 over gas tank. we were getting a decent pocket -- Wake wedge may be the next investment -- but I still feel confident that the Landlocked will be the limiting factor, basesd on reviews on other forums. a lot of guys on the "Real" surfboat forums say going ropeless on a landlock is hard. it is a big adn slow board. What boards do you guys surf on? any thoughts on brand?

@BigAbe75 -- Yes, for your size, I have read great things about the red rocket, but I am in a similar mental block -- dropping $800+ on a board feels steep, but that is my question -- do you get what you pay for? P.s. I really enjoyed your Google dock in your signature. Great way to keep track. I currently use a list app (probably designed to manage grocery lists, but I may have to adopt your google docs method for off season repairs and upgrades.

CP
Last year I was using a Ronix Powertail that I bought used on this forum from @Blenderhead. Great board. Going ropeless was easy on this board. Just got a new custom board that a friend made for me. Looking forward to seeing how good the custom will be...

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Buddy who works on lake says byrley (sp) are good boards... They can be more expensive but will serve you a long time. I' hoping to get one off him with his discount

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have a Inland Surfer Red Rocket and my 350lb friend surfs ropeless behind my boat.

We have spend every summer since 2011, trying, finally got it last summer, been using the red rocket since 2011. I had doubts and almost bought a new board last year, but once we got the boat dialed in it really made a difference. Boat leans so much that the fuel filler is under water while surfing.

Boat has hydrosteady, wake wedge, and ballast.
Ballast
800 ski locker
800 under rear port seat
700 on swim deck port side.
1000 lbs human ballast, no special position.

Water deeper than 10' is critical

we have another 800 bag under the starboard seat but it needs to be left empty.
With the wedge going strait provides the longest pocket.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@dan144k thanks for this post!! This is the info I’ve been looking for. :)

I can’t wait for summer to get here so we can get out and start experimenting.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some more information, last spring I send wakemakers an email regarding upgrading my board, for the easiest ropeless surfing. I never bought a new board, and we got my red rocket to work great. But below I have posted my question and there answer, may help out some other people.
There may be new or different boards available for 2018, dont personally know.

QUESTION
Looking for wakesurf board advise, looking to upgrade.I currently have a a Inland Surfer Red Rocket.
We can almost go ropeless, but are unable too.We are 230 to 260lb guys. We are using a yamha AR240 jetboat with a wake wedge and plenty of ballast, properly set up.
What board would you recommend to go ropeless?

ANSWER
Thanks for contacting us here at WakeMAKERS! Sounds like you might want a board with a wider belly, or just some more surface area to help stay in that wave. Here's a few I'd consider taking a look at:

2017 Ronix Koal Technora Powertail Wakesurf Board
https://www.wakemakers.com/ronix-koal-power-tail-wakesurf-board.html

2017 Ronix Koal Classic Longboard Wakesurf Board
https://www.wakemakers.com/ronix-koal-longboard-wakesurf-board.html

2017 CWB Voodoo Wakesurf Board
https://www.wakemakers.com/cwb-voodoo-wakesurf-board.html

Hangsurf

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
6’1”/ 290 lbs
Board: Doomswell Nubstep 5’2”
Boat: 2019 Centurion Ri 237

Everyone that offered advice kept telling me to speed the boat up. Eventually we started running much slower instead around 10.2 It’s pretty well as slow as we can run with a clean wave. It has more lift. It is a slightly shorter wave in distance, but feels taller in height.

Now I can surf with nearly any board behind most boats.

After a few weeks I can surf at most speeds on most boards, but cannot really have any fun unless it is running slower.

If I had it do over again I probably would have gotten the 4’8” Doomswell neo to be a little more maneuverable than the 5’2”. I will be adding a skim board soon, just have not decided which one.

I am not sure I would have figured it out had I not gotten the 5’2” and adjusted the speed down.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds to me you guys need a "come to @J-RAD moment", lol.

--

"IN A MEETING"

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm about the same size so I'm interested to hear what works for you.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m getting along well with my Chaos Ringer XXL. not ropeless yet, but that’s due to skill level, I believe. Last couple times out I had some slack in the rope. Now just need to capitalize on it. :)

@swatski i have been talking to @J-RAD a bit. I tried to get him to bring his road show of sample boards to Shelbyville. But, for some reason he didn’t want to drive 12+ hours this year. Lol (I think that’s how far he said it was)

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m getting along well with my Chaos Ringer XXL. not ropeless yet, but that’s due to skill level, I believe. Last couple times out I had some slack in the rope. Now just need to capitalize on it. :)

@swatski i have been talking to @J-RAD a bit. I tried to get him to bring his road show of sample boards to Shelbyville. But, for some reason he didn’t want to drive 12+ hours this year. Lol (I think that’s how far he said it was)
Lol! More like 14... 😉 folks can talk to @jcyamaharider and @jcyamahariders wife thought... they might have a surprise. 🐍🐅