• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge Idea

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So because I will be storing my boat at the marina and it could spend a day or two on the water before being put away I will install a second bilge, straight lined to the battery. Two questions / ideas:

Mounting - I am thinking of gluing a small piece of marine lumber or plastic to the hull then screw the bilge to that. I see many just glue the bilge straight to the floor. Anything wrong with that thought?

Outflow. From reading it is best to route a separate line because the stock hose can not flow enough for two. Would it be better to simply enlarge the stock hose (1.5 inch so I still only have one hole in my boat, just have to enlarge and not cut) and T into it from both bilges or is the two lines just the better option?

I plan to install a self sensing bilge, straight wired to the battery with in line fuse.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mounting-no reason not to glue something to the hull--but why not just screw it down to the hull like the stock one?

Outflow-it won't be easy enlarging the existing hole, and 2 separate lines will work much better and there will be no risk of blowback from one pump to the other (if you have a Y connection).

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mounting-no reason not to glue something to the hull--but why not just screw it down to the hull like the stock one?

Outflow-it won't be easy enlarging the existing hole, and 2 separate lines will work much better and there will be no risk of blowback from one pump to the other (if you have a Y connection).
My understanding is the hull is thin at the bottom so it is risky. I just figured an extra inch (no pun intended) would be better.

Second line is easy, just wondering about having just one.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When you say self sensing does it have a float switch integral or is it the cycling type? If its a cycling type it will drain your battery unless you have shore power. You could use a float switch in series with your bilge pump and directly wired to you battery.

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you say self sensing does it have a float switch integral or is it the cycling type? If its a cycling type it will drain your battery unless you have shore power. You could use a float switch in series with your bilge pump and directly wired to you battery.
Integral float switch. The OEM is the cycling type and is why I can not leave it on, it is fine for a day or so but once the boat is put away, it would kill the battery.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Hellacool
My dealer installed my second bilge pump (float switch) right beside the Yamaha one. It's a little higher than the Yamaha one, so the Yamaha one is the primary. Because of it's higher float position, the secondary only turns on if the Yamaha one has failed or is turned off via the battery switch. As far as outputs go, do not merge pump outflows. While you're down there, install a water alarm that is directly wired to the battery.
This setup enables you to turn the batteries off and still have the secondary bilge pump on float standby if needed.
Good luck