• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge Pump/Drainage Issue

mrobke

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We have a 2014 Yamaha 242 Limited S. We purchased this boat this summer, this is our first jet boat so we are still familiarizing ourselves with it. I noticed that I always seem to have a few inches of water in the engine compartment, enough that I think the bilge should be pumping it out. First question is this normal for water to collect here? Second how does this water get in there as we drip dry and hang life jackets etc. out of the boat?

When I turn on bilge at the dash, the little red light does not come on. I used a multimeter and my wires going to the pump show nothing, no power. Is there an in line fuse somewhere? If so where would I find it?

Also on land when I remove the transom plug very little water drips out, yet the water is still in the engine compartment. Also if I remove the drain plug in the ski locker, I can see water there too, shouldn't this water drain out through the transom plug?

Thanks in advance.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should have a circuit breaker under the switch for the bilge pump if it's anything like the older boats. Water in the bilge is normal for these boats as long as it's not constantly being pumped out. The water could be coming from a number of places and the most common is the cleanout hatch bilge access panel if it's not sealed. Remove all of the drain plugs in the boat when you get home, there should be 3 in the engine bay. This allows all of the water stuck in different compartments to drain to the bilge. When you pull your transom plug make sure that you jack the trailer as high as you can to drain a majority of the water out.

mrobke

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You should have a circuit breaker under the switch for the bilge pump if it's anything like the older boats. Water in the bilge is normal for these boats as long as it's not constantly being pumped out. The water could be coming from a number of places and the most common is the cleanout hatch bilge access panel if it's not sealed. Remove all of the drain plugs in the boat when you get home, there should be 3 in the engine bay. This allows all of the water stuck in different compartments to drain to the bilge. When you pull your transom plug make sure that you jack the trailer as high as you can to drain a majority of the water out.
Thanks Babin,
I will pull those drain plugs and maybe stick a few boards under the trailer jack. I will also check the seal around the cleanout hatch.
There is a circuit breaker at the bilge switch, but it is not "tripped", that is why I was wondering if there is an inline fuse? Any other thoughts on no power at the bilge pump? Just seeing if it is something I can easily address before having a mechanic look at it.

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a large, corrugated white hose that runs through the top and middle of your engine compartment and drains water from the seating deck to, well, somewhere other than the engine compartment. You can't miss it. Make sure that hose is well connected and not leaking into the engine bay. A few inches sounds like a scary amount. The volume of water that can come off people and equipment getting in and out of the water is crazy. Said hose was disconnected on my boat when I bought it last year and I didn't notice, you know, never having had this boat before and all. When I finally realized and reconnected it I was freaked out knowing how much water I'd been dumping into the engine area but, luckily, nothing bad happened.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a circuit breaker at the bilge switch, but it is not "tripped", that is why I was wondering if there is an inline fuse? Any other thoughts on no power at the bilge pump? Just seeing if it is something I can easily address before having a mechanic look at it.
I'm not sure on a 2014 about the wiring. I would get behind the helm or take the switch plate off and see if you even have power going to the switch. It might have just been unplugged back there. No need to take to a mechanic, we can walk you through the process of troubleshooting and so much more.

mrobke

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not sure on a 2014 about the wiring. I would get behind the helm or take the switch plate off and see if you even have power going to the switch. It might have just been unplugged back there. No need to take to a mechanic, we can walk you through the process of troubleshooting and so much more.
All connections were tight. I will try this weekend to test for power at the switch...awfully tight space for a big man lol.

mrobke

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There is a large, corrugated white hose that runs through the top and middle of your engine compartment and drains water from the seating deck to, well, somewhere other than the engine compartment. You can't miss it. Make sure that hose is well connected and not leaking into the engine bay. A few inches sounds like a scary amount. The volume of water that can come off people and equipment getting in and out of the water is crazy. Said hose was disconnected on my boat when I bought it last year and I didn't notice, you know, never having had this boat before and all. When I finally realized and reconnected it I was freaked out knowing how much water I'd been dumping into the engine area but, luckily, nothing bad happened.
Thanks Drat -I know the white hose you are referring to, I will make sure it is tight and secured.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All connections were tight. I will try this weekend to test for power at the switch...awfully tight space for a big man lol.
Unscrew the switchplate and pull it towards you, lots easier than getting in there.

mrobke

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Unscrew the switchplate and pull it towards you, lots easier than getting in there.
Babin: Turns out my circut breaker switch was bad and the bilge pump itself was bad. Had both replaced. However I did notice when they wired the new pump, it had, brown, black and brown with white stripe wire (old pump only had brown and black wire). They wired the brown with white stripe wire from pump to the brown wire from switch and left the brown wire from pump unconnected. Is that correct way or should they have connected the brown wire from pump with brown wire from switch and left the brown with white stripe unconnected? My switch is just on/off, not manual/auto. I didn't have time to put back in water to test it...next weekend maybe.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would read the directions for the wiring or test each wire to see what happens and wire it to the auto setting where it only pumps when needed. Make sure you test it out before you go out on the water.