• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge pump not working please help scarab 165

Rkick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hello, wanted to seek some advice on the bilge pump issue I’m having on my 165.

The pump recognizes that’s there’s water that it needs to pump out but it does not turn on and it does not pump it out. I clearly see the red light on the switch go on and when I manually flip it it also does not come on. I have checked every single fuse on the boat and they all are ok. I have disconnected the cables to the battery and re connected everything a few times. I also just got a new battery and I know it’s charged since I also check that.

I cleaned out all the water and even remove the part that the water would go in to see if it might be clogged - which it was not.

At this point I have no other clue what to do. Does any one have any expirence with these bilge pumps?

Thanks

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hey @Rkick when you unplugged the bilge, did you check the wires for voltage? You should be able to trigger the float switch, and should see 12 across the wires. If there isnt any voltage, you have a tripped breaker, or blown fuse. If you do see voltage, the pump is dead, and needs to be replaced.

PLEASE do not go out on the water without that pump working!!!!

Rkick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hey @Rkick when you unplugged the bilge, did you check the wires for voltage? You should be able to trigger the float switch, and should see 12 across the wires. If there isnt any voltage, you have a tripped breaker, or blown fuse. If you do see voltage, the pump is dead, and needs to be replaced.

PLEASE do not go out on the water without that pump working!!!!
Mike,thanks so much as usual on your quick replies and willingness to always help. Please also do excuse my ignorance as I’m just about only one season in when it comes to boating, learned a lot on this forum.

Could you share where that float switch is on the 165?

I did have a tech come out two weeks ago to change the oil and he did check all my wires since I thought something was draining my battery and the bilge did show regular draw. I also did put some water back there and the automatic switch turns on but the actual pump does not so it appears that the pump knows it needs to come in but it dosent.

Looks like I just need to replace it

Thanks

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
FYI, after some info from Mike, I decided to connect the bilge to the master switch forcing it off when I turn that off. Not always recommended of course with good reason, but that wasn't the case for me. I just switched the positive bilge wire to common inside the master switch. I also have a 165.

I know this doesn't solve you issue but may be of interest.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The float switch looks like a small paddle. Its a normally open switch that closes the override circuit that turns the pump on when it rises as water makes it float. If you lift this switch, it should make the pump work. Basically the same way the switch on your helm does. If you test the two wires across the pump, and have someone either lift the float switch, or trip the switch on the helm, using a meter you should see 12V DC. If there is voltage, you have a bad pump. Very easy fix. They can be found anywhere even walmart. On my boat they used a RULE pump. You just unclip the base, cut the wires, place the new pump, and splice the new wires, and you are done.

If there is no voltage across the wires, then you have a fuse, breaker, or a break in the circuit.

If by any chance the bilge says "automatic" on it, then the only way to test it is use the switch on the helm, or power the "over ride" straight to battery power.

Mike,thanks so much as usual on your quick replies and willingness to always help. Please also do excuse my ignorance as I’m just about only one season in when it comes to boating, learned a lot on this forum.

Could you share where that float switch is on the 165?

I did have a tech come out two weeks ago to change the oil and he did check all my wires since I thought something was draining my battery and the bilge did show regular draw. I also did put some water back there and the automatic switch turns on but the actual pump does not so it appears that the pump knows it needs to come in but it dosent.

Looks like I just need to replace it

Thanks

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Be careful as that does drain the battery. Its a patch, and not a fix, and if you ever endure water ingestion this could lead to your boat sinking. If you want to wire the pump to the main switch, the correct way is to change it to an automatic pump. It cycles the pump on and off for a second until it notices water, then it starts to pump as normal.

FYI, after some info from Mike, I decided to connect the bilge to the master switch forcing it off when I turn that off. Not always recommended of course with good reason, but that wasn't the case for me. I just switched the positive bilge wire to common inside the master switch. I also have a 165.

I know this doesn't solve you issue but may be of interest.

Rkick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The float switch looks like a small paddle. Its a normally open switch that closes the override circuit that turns the pump on when it rises as water makes it float. If you lift this switch, it should make the pump work. Basically the same way the switch on your helm does. If you test the two wires across the pump, and have someone either lift the float switch, or trip the switch on the helm, using a meter you should see 12V DC. If there is voltage, you have a bad pump. Very easy fix. They can be found anywhere even walmart. On my boat they used a RULE pump. You just unclip the base, cut the wires, place the new pump, and splice the new wires, and you are done.

If there is no voltage across the wires, then you have a fuse, breaker, or a break in the circuit.

If by any chance the bilge says "automatic" on it, then the only way to test it is use the switch on the helm, or power the "over ride" straight to battery power.

For the life of me I can’t find that float switch... I’m guessing if I buy a new pump that it comes with the connector so I don’t have to splice any wires?

I have a whale super sub 650

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

This one?? If so its not the same as mine. Here are the specs...
The little ears on the body that hold it together can break off and it becomes useless, so be carefull when you replace it. You can find them for $50 everywhere.

Specifications
Type
Motorized
Material
Plastic
Manufacturer Part Number
698-SS5212
Model
SS5212
Brand
Whale
Features
WHALE SUPERSUB 12V 650GPH LOW PROFILE AUTOMATIC BILGE PUMP
Assembled Product Weight
  • Pump automatically senses the water level and switches on and off as needed with an environmentally friendly, solid-state, mercury free design that is unaffected by wave action

For the life of me I can’t find that float switch... I’m guessing if I buy a new pump that it comes with the connector so I don’t have to splice any wires?

I have a whale super sub 650

Rkick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

This one?? If so its not the same as mine. Here are the specs...
The little ears on the body that hold it together can break off and it becomes useless, so be carefull when you replace it. You can find them for $50 everywhere.

Specifications
Type
Motorized
Material
Plastic
Manufacturer Part Number
698-SS5212
Model
SS5212
Brand
Whale
Features
WHALE SUPERSUB 12V 650GPH LOW PROFILE AUTOMATIC BILGE PUMP
Assembled Product Weight
  • Pump automatically senses the water level and switches on and off as needed with an environmentally friendly, solid-state, mercury free design that is unaffected by wave action

Yeah that’s it..I’m guessing no float switch for that one then uh?

I’m just going to buy a new one, too much time spent already trying to see why is doesn’t turn on, just guessing it’s dead.

I’ll report back when I replace it, and thanks again.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Nope no float switch on that one! Good luck.

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
After I cleaned my boat last, I ran water into the bilge to verify everything was working. auto bilge light came on, no water out the back, turned the switch on, still no water. Sprayed water into the outlet, cleaned the "clog" and it started pumping. I'll be checking this every time I clean the boat now.

Rkick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
After I cleaned my boat last, I ran water into the bilge to verify everything was working. auto bilge light came on, no water out the back, turned the switch on, still no water. Sprayed water into the outlet, cleaned the "clog" and it started pumping. I'll be checking this every time I clean the boat now.
I cleaned it and even checked the pump to see if it would still turn and it did so it wasn’t stuck. Hopefully it’s dead and the replacement should do the trick.

I do think that it doesn’t come with a connector so I will have to figure out how to splice the cables.

Rkick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I replaced the pump and it’s all good now.

Bonnita Taggart

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Other
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
So I replaced my bilge pump yesterday because it wasn't pumping out the new one in it turns on and when not connected to the hose pumps great. I have forced water in the hose to check for a clog but couldn't see any water coming out. Need help