• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2017 Trip Advise

sgtpunisher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I have signed up for the Bimini trip 2017. I have gotten a lot of flak from my in-laws who have a far amount of crabbing experience in the gulf about the type of boat I have for the trip. I have a 20'6" Tahoe Q7 SSI with 220 HP I/O. it is a Deep V with a 20Degree deadrise. It is a perfect lake boat. I have military experience in operating small craft and sea going vessels on the open ocean. however I'm not a proud man and do accept constructive criticism and counsel from others. So im asking advise here. Is this big enough? I see many have 23 and 24 footers. Am I "gonna need a bigger boat.."....lol I know we will take weather into consideration. we wont make the trip in 9 foot seas...or will we????? I want to make the trip however safety takes precedence!

Jason

Attachments

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Between weather, your experience, your crew and their open water experience (being able to take bumps and pounding most likely), safety aspects( bilges, scuppers and deck drains, loading and weight distribution, vhf, life jackets crew members knowing what to do in an emergency, and a location becon) also what kind of fuel capacity and fuel burn plus cruising speed and ability to maintain in rough waters. Lake boating and ocean boating are different. It can be done but you just need to take a big look at everything as trying to go slower because a crew member panics or is scared can greatly increase your chance of injury or boat problems. I don't know anything about anything I listed above but those are big factors. I can run my boat myself and take a beating and know the boat is fine but with my nieces and sister in law in tow it is a difference.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What kind of fuel range do you have @sgtpunisher? Smaller boats than yours have made the crossing in comparable conditions to what we may face. Speaking for myself, I won't be heading out into 9' seas. Even with my wife on board. ;)

sgtpunisher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
45 Gal of fuel. about a 160 mile range. I will still bring extra fuel. I m retiered mility so I have contingency plans and then I have emergency plans...lol

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Comparing freeboard to a 212 looks pretty similar. Although the short windshield area is likely to result in additional splash on the occupants and into the boat. Do you have a scupper to drain water from the cabin?

For Yamahas we find fuel range on a rough crossing to be approximately 57% of that on a lake.

The only Tahoe I have ever heard of making the trip was a tritoon - http://www.tahoepontoons.com/about/adventure/

Personally I would feel better about you making the trip in a similar size and value Yamaha or a boat designed for the ocean.

Many people are going to laugh about our small boats going to Bimini so do not feel alone in that.

Q7vs212.jpg

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Comparing freeboard to a 212 looks pretty similar. Although the short windshield area is likely to result in additional splash on the occupants and into the boat. Do you have a scupper to drain water from the cabin?

For Yamahas we find fuel range on a rough crossing to be approximately 57% of that on a lake.

The only Tahoe I have ever heard of making the trip was a tritoon - http://www.tahoepontoons.com/about/adventure/

Personally I would feel better about you making the trip in a similar size and value Yamaha or a boat designed for the ocean.

Many people are going to laugh about our small boats going to Bimini so do not feel alone in that.

View attachment 51313
No one has ever laughed at me when I tell them that I take the boat across the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas. It's more of a concerned "WTF" look, especially from the guys in Bimini with big fishing boats.

sgtpunisher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length

View attachment 51313
The all the water drains directly in to the bilge, which is pumped out by an electric pump.

sgtpunisher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
No one has ever laughed at me when I tell them that I take the boat across the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas. It's more of a concerned "WTF" look, especially from the guys in Bimini with big fishing boats.
I've watched plenty of you tube videos of people in smaller boats than mine making the crossing. Im just getting all kinds of grief from my inlaws. calling my wife and scaring the crap out of her. she is a Non-swimmer to begin with. Its not helping.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The all the water drains directly in to the bilge, which is pumped out by an electric pump.
Might not be a bad ideal to get a second bilge pump. 2 is 1 and 1 none. You will be crossing a group who has been doing it for years so these are the experts on this crazy thing we call Bimini......speaking of that is it July yet? I mean i am in tarpon springs i could just head over now and wait for everyone.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not having a scupper puts you at the significant disadvantage of having to pump out all the water that may splash in on the crossing. That could be a strain on the bilge pump and battery. Your limited windshield coverage is going to allow more water to splash into your boat.

You can cross to Bimini in a canoe if you are local and pick the right conditions. We are planning a trip six months in advance and will have to deal with whatever occurs those days. Hopefully we get great water. That has happened for me on one of 6 crossings and that was because we stayed longer and picked our single boat return day for the best water.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Depending on condition and being a non swimmer I would highly recommend a PFD for your wife and crew during the crossing in "okay" conditions, if they worsen and we should know maybe a week out what we may expect, I would look at having her ferry or fly over. A non swimmer in the gulf stream is a huge worry for you, your crew, and your group you will cross with. I am more than capable swimmer and rescue swimmer and I would fly or ferry my wife, if she was a non swimmer, over no matter what about the weather and pick her up when I clear customs. I think @Bruce uses Type II PFD for his crew while crossing, if I recall correctly which I would have on board and mandate for the crew.

I do not mean to come off harsh or offensive, but if something goes wrong it goes very wrong on the water, which I guess you would know from the military small craft operations.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@sgtpunisher i agree with most of the advice you have already been given. Can your boat make yes I. The correct conditions you will be just fine. No this group will not leave in 9 ft seas atleast most won't and I pity those who would lol. I would say 3-4 ft seas is about it even then it will be heavily questioned whether a group crossing will happen. More likely that 2-3 ft is about the cap the group will cross in. In 2015 we crossed in about 3ft chop with some 4's thrown in for good measure and for most it was not a fun crossing and for some it was really bad day and I'm assuming if those conditions are repeated the crossing maybe delayed or limited to 23ft and larger boats. Your biggest disadvantage is not having a overboard draining cockpit that is more concerning then the size of your vessel. If I was second guessing crossing in your boat it wouldn't be the size of your boat that would be my biggest concern but if conditions are 1-2 ft no big deal but as you already mentioned have a back up plan and be prepared to say no if the conditions are not right and also be prepared to leave Bimini a few days ahead of or behind the group of needed to hit ideal conditions. Best of luck and I hope you enjoy the trip!

sgtpunisher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Okay so I did it. I just went and picked up a Sea Hunt 211 Ultra. I think that'll put the worries to the rear. self-draining cockpit bigger boat made more for the offshore not a Lake boat. I can handle the rougher Seas if we come into some. thanks everybody for your input I appreciate it very much I will get the pfd's and have them handy also and an eperb or a Personal Locator will be on hand

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@sgtpunisher nice upgrade! You may want to look into a Delorme InReach they are great and family back home can follow your progress and you can message with it also. It has an SOS button that will put you in contact with a help center and the high end one also can be used for back up navigation. It has a lot of different threads about and you can also pay for when you use and stop service when you don't. It's pretty inexpensive and user friendly.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in love with the new Sea Hunts I would have bought the Edge 24ft model at the show a few weeks back if the wife wasn't demanding our boat have a swim deck. I look forward to your feed back on how you like it!

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
45 Gal of fuel. about a 160 mile range. I will still bring extra fuel. I m retiered mility so I have contingency plans and then I have emergency plans...lol
You will be fine!!!