• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2017

Hamp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello all, great information on this site with knowledgeable members who are willing to go all out to help. Looking to do my first Bimini crossing this summer (June) would like to connect with anyone who may be crossing during this time. No jet, 26ft cruiser. Hopefully this won't be held against me.
Thanks!

Hamp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks a bunch! I completed the registration form and have scheduled a vessel safety check by the US Coast Guard.
I appreciate your reply, Thanks again and enjoy your weekend!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you see the condo reservation instructions in the second post of that thread?

Hamp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, I will have to print it off and fax it in. My printer went out on me and the form is not set for edit mode.
The July date will work for me as well. You've been a great help. I surely appreciate all the info. Thanks!

Justin Edwards

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello all, great information on this site with knowledgeable members who are willing to go all out to help. Looking to do my first Bimini crossing this summer (June) would like to connect with anyone who may be crossing during this time. No jet, 26ft cruiser. Hopefully this won't be held against me.
Thanks!
Looking for buddy boats for June trip 3rd - 10th. Very flexible on dates. Figure to leave out of ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

Hamp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello Justin, I getting things together for the trip. The earliest I can make it is June 23rd week.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Hamp - Hey bud where in Alabama do you live/boat?

We have a Facebook page (Alabama Jet Boaters) that we all use to orchestrate gatherings on. Link up and join us on the water!

Hamp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Bennie, I'm in Birmingham. I travel often to South Alabama...the Gulf often call's me! Lol

Justin Edwards

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Still looking for a few boats to join us on the trip over June 3rd -10th. Those are the Saturdays and we are a little flexible on exactly which days.
We have to make the trip that week due to sons heading to college right after the trip. Just have not made the trip myself yet.
Have 24' Limited S E-series and out of Orlando. Thanks.

Jbalance

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Still looking for a few boats to join us on the trip over June 3rd -10th. Those are the Saturdays and we are a little flexible on exactly which days.
We have to make the trip that week due to sons heading to college right after the trip. Just have not made the trip myself yet.
Have 24' Limited S E-series and out of Orlando. Thanks.

Jbalance

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Justin, I live in Kissimmee and I am soon purchasing a 24 limited S E -series. I like to link up when I get it. Planning a trip to the Bahamas in 2018...

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here is some good Bimini info for those of us that have never made the trip:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jbalance keep an eye on gatherings and you see the 2018 bimini tripthreadco e up soon. That is the group youwa t to go with.

Have you got a ch ace to read the 2017,2016,2015 threads ?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is some good Bimini info for those of us that have never made the trip:

While there is some good info, much of which is already covered in https://jetboaters.net/threads/preparing-for-bimini.3800/, other parts are from people who chose not to cross with the group without communications equipment they said they had and were rescued by Bimini Sands who no responsibility for their safety yet they choose to criticize their rescuers.

Last edited:

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While there is some good info, much of which is already covered in https://jetboaters.net/threads/preparing-for-bimini.3800/, other parts are false info from people who chose not to cross with the group without communications equipment they said they had and were rescued by Bimini Sands who no responsibility for their safety yet they choose to criticize their rescuers.
I almost don't want to comment on this because some wounds may still be too fresh. I think that it's good to share lessons learned, and I believe that the video will help others in the future. @Bruce, I didn't take the rescue comments as criticism (maybe it's an effort to clear his conscience); it is his perspective, and if anything it sends a clear message to all captains who are contemplating this trip in the future. Be prepared, and if you run into trouble that can't be sorted out by a another boat in your group, then the Coast Guard is trained and equipped to rescue you provided that you have the equipment on board to enable them to do so.

So, this thread is now taking on a lessons leaned direction.

As captains, it's our duty to keep our crew safe. Even though we do everything within our knowledge/ability to use the lessons learned from previous crossings to be prepared, sometimes unforeseen things can still happen, and it's comforting to know that you have boats around to help you out.

In 2015, a bunch of boats ran out of fuel, and this was the big lesson learned that was passed on to future crossing groups. The reality is that if you don't stay on plane, you will run our of fuel, and this was clearly communicated to all captains in 2016 and 2017. If the conditions are such that you have too much difficulty staying on plane, then you should turn around, unless you have a reasonable amount of extra fuel on board. Only the captain can make this call as every boat's fuel consumption is different, especially considering how it is loaded. The big problem with this simple sounding logic is that as captains, we're not really certain about making the turnaround call. It's a judgement call. It's not black and white in many cases.

In 2015, I was loaded very bow-heavy, and I could stay on plane at 15 mph. Our crossing group ran 8-14 mph. I had less than a half tank by mid-point, but I had 15 gal of extra fuel that year so I wasn't worried. In 2015, I made the crossing without having to use any of my spare fuel, but I believe that this was possible only because I made an effort to get on plane while crossing. I repeatedly slowed down to create a spacing of about a half to 3/4 mile between myself and the boat(s) in front of me, then I'd get on plane until I was right behind the guy in front of me. I had never done the crossing, so I wanted to stay with the group.

In 2016, I brought extra fuel and didn't use any of it. In 2017, I did not bring extra fuel, and because I was weighted heavier at the stern relative to 2015, I needed to maintain 17-20 mph to stay on plane. I fell off plane at about 15 mph. When we were about 5 miles out of Port Everglades, I knew that it was going to be tough for me to stay on plane, and I knew that if I didn't, I would run out of fuel. That was the reality that I found myself in. This reality was shared with and clearly understood by the slower ones in my group.

2017 was a really rough crossing. Although I think that 2015 had bigger waves and stronger winds, it's my opinion that 2017 had bigger rogue-style waves. 2017 is the first crossing that I had to continuously keep an eye out for the big waves and throttle back, almost to a stop, in order to minimize the impact. It made it really hard to establish a rhythm and stay on plane. Because I did not have extra fuel, I'd say that out of 2015, 2016, and 2017, 2017 was the tougher crossing for me.

When trying to catch up to my group after turning back to check on the slower ones (three times), I ran as fast as 20 mph, and my hull was flexing to the point that my windshield was almost falling through. If it were not for my son's efforts to reposition the windshield, it surely would have broken. In the end, my boat did not sustain any permanent damage that I'm aware of; although I've run it since Bimini, I have not had a chance to go over it with a fine-tooth comb, which I do once a year when I do my annual maintenance.

During the crossing, I had two VHF radios on. My handheld was set to my group's channel, and my fixed was set to channel 16. At no point during the crossing did I hear any jet boaters call for help... BUT that does not mean that calls for help were not being transmitted... it means that I did not hear any. Radio communication is terrible while crossing. The only way that I can effectively communicate via radio is if I throttle back to reduce ambient noise first, and even then, I find that the noise in the back ground of the person who is talking to me makes it nearly impossible to hear them.

Every captain draws their own line in the sand when it comes to preparing for the unexpected. There isn't a time that I go out on my boat where I feel 100% prepared, and if something ever happens to me, I pray that someone will be able to help me out. I do my best not to put myself in that position.

Bimini is the most amazing boating destination that I've ever experienced; it's also the most dangerous.

As the guy in the video did, I strongly encourage others to share their experience so that those who follow can learn from it, and ultimately have a safer vacation.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I didn't take the rescue comments as criticism (maybe it's an effort to clear his conscience); it is his perspective
I appreciate and respect Rob for rescuing the children he transported.

I want to be clear that I want to make 100% sure that everyone that crosses with our group is safe. I hope we will always be able to do so. I also want to help others in need. I do not accept any responsibility for anyone who decides to cross on their own. Bimini Sands does not have any responsibility for their guests in transit to and from the resort but these guys were not even staying at Bimini Sands and Bimini Sands, specifically @biminibrad still rescued them. I greatly appreciate Brad going way above and beyond and believe he and Bimini Sands deserve respect instead of complaints. I was pleasantly surprised that Bimini Sands had been monitoring our radio traffic during the crossing and had information on some of our boats when we arrived. They were monitoring both from their tower and from a sailboat in the marina.

it's my opinion that 2017 had bigger rogue-style waves. 2017 is the first crossing that I had to continuously keep an eye out for the big waves and throttle back, almost to a stop, in order to minimize the impact
My perspective is that the first half of 2015 was rougher with bigger waves than 2017. The difference being that in 2015 everyone was going 9 mph where in 2017 we were going faster.

@Rana and I both commented on how little you throttle back in your videos. This is something I have issue with conveying, you do not want to throttle down and stuff the bow but you also do not need to charge full throttle over breaking waves or those with steep back sides. I rarely sat during the crossing. When I sat the felt impact in the boat increased dramatically. I was frequently throttling back on the way up waves to reduce impact on the back side. Not stopping, just reducing speed. Doing so I did not take any water over the bow and I burned 38 gallons on the crossing. It also keeps you very busy trying to steer, operate the throttles and stay on your feet at the same time. I wish there was a good way to teach this technique but I believe it can only be learned with time and experimentation in rough water and that it is better to suffer impact than swamping.

With trim tabs I can maintain plane as slow as 14 mph on a lake. I believe that I may be able to do so at slower speeds when crossing waves. This may have contributed to my comparatively low fuel burn however other boats with trim tabs did not report the same so perhaps throttling back was the difference?

I strongly encourage others to share their experience so that those who follow can learn from it, and ultimately have a safer vacation.
I absolutely agree. Sharing what went wrong and what went right can help everyone.

Last edited:

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with everything that you've said @Bruce, especially in recognition of those who took it upon themselves to help those in need. I don't want my initial response to suggest that I agreed with the perspective in the video with respect to the rescue efforts.
Also, I should have mentioned that any time that I cut my throttles back, I immediately jumped back on the gas after the impact had occurred.
I am incapable of operating my throttles in a safe manner (i.e. smoothly) from a standing position in those conditions. I sit, and have the bruise on my butt to prove it.

I think that it is important to recognize that not all boats plane at the same speed, a tabless boat may run out of fuel if running at sub-plane speed while following a tabbed boat travelling on plane. The boat needs to stay on plane as much as possible, if not, extra fuel is a necessity.