• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini (BPL) Generators Destroyed By Fire

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is the official statement on generator capacity. But it is the Bahamas....,

4F66808C-1556-4D86-93FC-5C9DD699EB1F.jpeg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Brad's latest update on Facebook is:

Power update #5..excellent news!
I just finished a conference call on behalf of 700 stake holders(us, bimini bay, port royal, big game) with Mr. Miller at BPL, Manager for family island power.
Rolling Black outs,( power shedding), in 4-8 hour intervals will continue thru mid next week.
They are going to be getting us a schedule so we can plan accordingly.
A 5 megawatt generator will be enroute shortly, planned to be up and running by mid next week. His crew arrives tomm. to start preplanning.
10-11 megawatts was available prior to fire.
More than that will be available next week.
I am thrilled with BPL’s approach and they are well aware the impact this would have with out a solid solution.

Not sure how 5 megawatts replaces 8.8, perhaps its Caribbean math?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Or 5 megawatts is all that is avaliable!
Brad's email says that he was told they would have MORE generation capability once the 5mw is installed. I suspect that is spin....but I've asked Brad if he can clarify.

Getting it installed and operational in 1.5 weeks seems like nothing short of miraculous! We'll see.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Brad's email says that he was told they would have MORE generation capability once the 5mw is installed. I suspect that is spin....but I've asked Brad if he can clarify.

Getting it installed and operational in 1.5 weeks seems like nothing short of miraculous! We'll see.
Brad, only knows what he is told by BPL. He does not have any authority or responsibility in this situation.

It is the Bahamas where utilities and consistency do not go together. For example BTC missed deadline after deadline to install internet throughout Bimini Sands.

Forward looking statements in the Bahamas seem to be mostly wishful thinking.

If the 5MW generator arrives to replace the two 4.5MW generators that were destroyed we will see excited posts announcing its arrival.

Hopefully this will become the start of upgrading the generators on Bimini so that they can meet peak demand for decades to come. The generators that were destroyed could not meet the current peak demand.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are mobile generators, already placed on trailers, that the military has "rented" through a contract. I'm assuming it'll be the same sort, but of course, much larger. It always seems that these are quick to setup.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are mobile generators, already placed on trailers, that the military has "rented" through a contract. I'm assuming it'll be the same sort, but of course, much larger. It always seems that these are quick to setup.
There are three 1MW trailer mounted generators already on the island.

I believe that a 5MW generator is too large for a trailer. Fortunately the damaged plant is near the water making it easier to ship gear in.

This documented an installed capacity of 15.4MW in Bimini in 2016 https://www.platts.com/IM.Platts.Content/ProductsServices/ConferenceandEvents/americas/caribbean-energy/presentations/Pamela_Hill.pdf

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Brad replied that they are bringing in two 5mw generators.
I had a similar call with Brad. However, we both agree that until the generators are on the island and operating it all is speculation.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed that power is restored, the sale closes and sanity returns to
Bimini Sands in coming weeks.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unfortunately there is not a lot of truth to that propaganda piece.

The power was off everywhere in Bimini for most of yesterday. It came back on around 7:30PM. Power has not been restored to the Resorts World marina at all since the fire.

Three, likely 1.5 megawatt, generators were delivered to Bimini over the weekend. Those three combined are similar in capacity to one of the two 4.5 megawatt generators that were destroyed. Bimini did not have sufficient power for peak demand before the fire. Now they have 4.5 megawatts or 29% less power so outages will occur.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
But I WANT it to be true