• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini Crossing Conditions Poll

Under what conditions would you want to go

• Reasonable seas forecast for both crossings with nice weather while we are in Bimini

Votes: 31 77.5%
  • Reasonable seas forecast for crossing to, likely rough return, nice weather while we are in Bimini

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Reasonable seas forecast for crossing to, likely rough return, nice weather, rough water in Bimini

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Reasonable seas forecast for crossing to, likely rough return, frequent rain, nice water in Bimini

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Reasonable seas forecast for crossing to, likely rough return, frequent rain, rough water in Bimini

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am tagging those that have confirmed plans to go. I would like to know your opinion on the conditions under which we should go. Thanks

Confirmed:

Propless captained by @Bruce from The Sandbar, Arkansas with 2 Adults and 2 Children in Unit 11F
Crews Control captained by @ACrews from Nahunta, GA with 2 Adults and 0 Children in Unit 21M
YamaDog captained by @ThatJeepGuy from Brooksville, FL with 3 Adults and 0 Children in 15B
La Yankee captained by @Jr15g from Williamsburg, VA with 4 Adults and 0 Children in Unit 7E
Geraldine captained by @zedxmike from WINTER GARDEN, FL with 2 Adults and 0 Children in Unit 12B
Indian Princess captained by @shane hric from Hobart, IN with 5 Adults and 1 Children in Unit 11?
Might as Well captained by @BgTravis from Calvert City, KY with 4 Adults and 0 Children in Unit 21?
Manchild captained by @Manchild from Frisco, Tx with 4 Adults and 0 Children in Unit 15L
Miss Scarlett captained by @chris24 from Spring Hill, FL with 4 Adults and 0 Children in Unit 16B
Radiant Hope captained by @Glen from Fredericksburg, VA with 2 Adults and 3 Children in Confirmed
No Shoes, No Shirt, No Proplems! captained by @MrMoose from Lake Conroe, TX with 3 adults and 2 children in Unit 2A
Jewels captained by @Kevin Sargent from Marietta, GA with 3 Adults and 3 Children in Unit 18L
Renovatio II captained by @wadeup from Hico, TX with 4 Adulta and 0 Children in Unit 21A
Wake Me Up captained by @latitudeadjuster from Lake Anna, VA with 2 Adults and 3 Children in Unit 17P
CC captained by @swatski from Des Peres, MO with 2 Adults and 3 Children in Unit 21R
@Valerie with one boat and 6 skis in Unit 15H (1 boat, 5 skis)
Belle Marie captained by @javi from Tega Cay, SC with 4 Adults and 2 Children in Unit 20F
Shark Bait captained by @SFThoen from Rock Hill, SC with 4 Adults and 0 Children in Unit 17M
Per-Diem captained by @Augusto David Rodriguez from Williamsburg, VA with 2 Adults and 2 Children in Unit 8F
H captained by @Jim Hernandez from Williamsburg, VA with 4 Adults and 0 Children in Unit 21G
Cheese captained by @Majorsmackdown from Portland, OR with 2 Adults and 2 Children

Jim Hernandez

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been looking forward to this trip all year so Naturally I want to go, that being said I will only make the crossing if it makes sense and is safe for all. I have never made the crossing so I have to rely on you experienced captains to make the final call, If we can't make the crossing I'm interested in a group plan B.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bruce, very smart of you to do this pole. ... ... although I hated having to contemplate my answer. It seems like Bimini winds will be in the 10 to 15 mph range. I've never paid real close attention to what this "feels" like. The weather at my house right now has a 10 mph wind, so I just stepped outside to see what that feels like. It's a gentle breeze. I think that we had much more wind than that last year in Bimini. For example, the one morning that I spent at the Sapona, I hooked my anchor onto the ship in order to stay put.
It seems like we might get a a couple days with not so bad precipitation, but there is at least one day that doesn't look good. When I look at http://passageweather.com/ how unsettled the region is really comes through when you look at their precipitation graph.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On a lighter note, if @1948Isaac were asked his opinion, he'd click all of the options ;) ... but then again, he has to pack his boat 10 lbs lighter because he has big b*lls of steel.

1948Isaac

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
On a lighter note, if @1948Isaac were asked his opinion, he'd click all of the options ;) ... but then again, he has to pack his boat 10 lbs lighter because he has big b*lls of steel.
LOL... LOL.. any more options to make it happened?????..LOL Man sorry to hear you guys are not going , i would've love to hang out again this year, hopefully weather conditions will change for you guys and maybe you guy will be able to cross, i told you i am bringing the grill this year, this time the burgers , chicken , hot dogs etc would be on me .... but if not we can make this trip any other time

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can choose multiple options.

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
It's such a damn expensive trip to have yucky weather
I'm litterly pulling my hair out
I have until tomorrow to cancel my vacation time at work
Plus we have 2 in a tiny jet boat and I'm scared for them

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's such a damn expensive trip to have yucky weather
I'm litterly pulling my hair out
I have until tomorrow to cancel my vacation time at work
Plus we have 2 in a tiny jet boat and I'm scared for them
Is it one of the 15ft seadoo speedsters? If so I would say it is safe for them to cancel now. Even if they get across they will get crap beat out of them the entire way. That boat needs clean weather for this trip. When I say clean it's not the size of the waves but the period between waves needs to be long. If it's the 18 ft challenger they will probably fare just a little worse then the 19ft boats.

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
It's the little one :depressed: Ugh

I feel like throwing myself on the floor and having a tantrum, kicking and screaming included..... Very adult like, huh?
Oh well I have 10 days vacation for Labor Day week Anybody wanna aim for then?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I feel like throwing myself on the floor and having a tantrum, kicking and screaming included..... Very adult like, huh?
Can you make the Sunday crossing? We are looking at the weather tomorrow then deciding whether to go. The conditions in Bimini will not be optimal but I think we can squeeze in a good time. The return trip is likely to be 2.5'+ water.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

That stinks yeah I have not seen a single day in the week in question I would cross in one those. A friend has one they are cool little fast boats but he tried to follow me off shore one day in 2-3ft seas and he turned around before we even got out the inlet as he took two waves over the bow just trying to get out.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm gonna hang a rum bottle from a fishing pole off the front...that will keep me heading forward.....lol

Kevin Sargent

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am scheduled to leave Sat morning for FL.... we doing this or what? Cubans, float across that bit@% on a raft..... I looked at the weather from accu weather : Monday mostly sunny rain 10%, Tuesday Mostly sunny pleasant rain 13%, Wed PM T storm in spots Rain 30% , Thursday afternoon T storm rain 60%, Friday sunny T storms possible rain 35%. Sunday T storms possible rain 30%........ This sounds like typical Caribbean weather to me....lets do this

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am scheduled to leave Sat morning for FL.... we doing this or what? Cubans, float across that bit@% on a raft..... I looked at the weather from accu weather : Monday mostly sunny rain 10%, Tuesday Mostly sunny pleasant rain 13%, Wed PM T storm in spots Rain 30% , Thursday afternoon T storm rain 60%, Friday sunny T storms possible rain 35%. Sunday T storms possible rain 30%........ This sounds like typical Caribbean weather to me....lets do this
Will you be there for the 06:00 departure on Sunday morning? Monday and Tuesday are impassable.

Kevin Sargent

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
yes, I can be.........I will leave tonight.....I am committed as long as others are going. How many boats will be departing Sunday? I need to call and extend my reservation in Bimini. I will call you in an hour or so. My number is 678.283.6319

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Maybe should have been a category for less than stellar for the crossing going...hindsight is 20/20, making the call (off) is tough.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This group has never had an issue calling off or delaying/advancing the crossing. I'm so tired of people armchair quarterbacking this. Forecast was fine yesterday morning. @Bruce made the right call with the given conditions and group and has tried to scare people off numerous times in the main thread warning scenarios like yesterday can happen. Yeah, it sucked, and it's super easy to question it now, but we weren't there, and we don't know. I've crossed with bruce twice and have absolute faith in his decisions. You haven't been. You haven't done it. All your 0.02 is doing is adding speculation and doubt to anyone else reading this later that hasn't been.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Easy big fella, you might ought to read my comments again. I didn't armchair a thing, I said making the call is tough. I merely added that a category with less than stellar conditions might be suitable for the beginning of the trip vs just for the return.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Between that comment and your other in the main thread, I put em together and it cast doubt in my mind. If I read them incorrectly, I do apologize.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@veedubtek, your right, I haven't been. And as I said in my other thread, it would be a very hard decision to make once there, to cancel a vacation after all the miles and anticipation. There are things here to learn from, and things to consider than can help future Bimini adventurers. I learned long ago, at another unnamed forum, that being critical of others words or adventures is often misplaced. If you read my words, you will see they were chosen not to be critical, but to offer consideration. What I offered has 100% validity and was helpful, not critical. There was not even a desire to criticize anyone that went, has gone, will go, or otherwise, and if it were possible to take that from my words, I also apologize for any confusion they caused. What our forum here offers most is help and support, that can come from the gun ho and ambitious, to the cautious and methodical, and everything between. And that comes from not only members, but also from each and every admin and moderator. Viewing things from the south after coming from the north gives a more complete perspective.