• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini & Me, my attempt to concur the gulf-stream

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fellow readers, I like to hear my self talk and lately like to see myself type. For the seasoned Jetboaters this write up will serve as a Greek Comedy and for the junior jetboaters will serve as a Greek Drama. Especially for those who so desperately want to make the trip and underestimate the preparation needed to make the trip.

I read @kthrash write up of his little adventure more than once and one thing was sure of my trip. I was 99.99% prepared to take in water. We took water more than once and all the times we handled great. We knew what was coming; we knew what to do. 6 inches of water in the cockpit, no-proplem for the Yonder crew. Although, we handled water in the cockpit very well, we were ill prepared for other things and so I thought I share. Especially, for someone who watches a youtube video and thinks he/she can cross to Bimini with zero boating experience, for this fool, this is a must read.

This is meant to be a trilogy where the first part is the preparation, the 2nd part is the trip itself and the 3rd part is the lesson learned and rational examination of the whole adventure.

· The Odyssey of an Immature Captain

• Detailing the preparation and to the start of the Crossing

· The Odyssey of an Amateur Captain

• Detailing the crossing itself, July 2017

· The Odyssey of the Soul and its Search for Rationality

• A reflection of why we (I) bother with the crossing. This is a heavy read and possibly offend one or two (dozen) people. But to me, the ending of this document carries more weight than the entire first 2 essays. I only hope that it will leave an impression on you, just as it did for me.
  • I originally planned to give a very detail expense report, but the conclusion finds the cost irrelevant and therefore it will make no sense to include it. If someone reading this really wants to know, I will be glad to share my excel showing over $3K in preparation, $9K of trip spend and whatever the repair bill turns out to be.

Disclaimer: All references to situations and people are fully based in my memory. And I know I have very short short term memory. If anything in my docs contracts what you know, assume that I am wrong.

Note 1: The writing style here is not just GreekEnglish. There is sanity in the insanity of those scribbles. As the trilogy progresses the writing will be more and more allegoric, cryptic and down to mystic. In all honesty, I am not even sure that there is value in the time spend to decrypt my writings, but the fact the reader might not finish the trilogy is not a good enough reason for me to not write it. As duty dictates; I must write.

Note 2: The timeline is neither linear not chronological. The trigoly starts the day we are about to make the BIMINI Sands reservations. Within that very same day and while driving to the local UPS store, the time shifts back 8 months when the inception of the Bimini trip takes place. The time returns to back to present time during the UPS store transaction and then slips again in the past. These 2 time slips occur while, I am driving to the UPS store and driving back from the UPS store. After than more or less the events occur in a chronological order.

Note 3: Straight dialogue with 3rd person writings is just actual events observed by whoever was present. Italic text usually indicates the writer’s state of mind and thoughts what have not been shared with anyone until the publishing of this text. For those of you who are still reading this and are starting to wonder if this is a schizophrenic behavior on my part… Please rest assured that my shrink is fully aware of what is going on. Legally, I am still sane. LOL

Note 4: Some characters on the text might be unfamiliar to the reader.

· “Admiral” is often referred to the founder of the forum and leader of the Bimini expedition, Bruce.

· “Nanny” or “my wife’s mother in law” refers to my own mother.

“Demon” is a metaphysical creature that exists on someone’s mind and gives its landlord advice to on how to avoid injustice, immorality and disgrace.

Attachments

Last edited:

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Betik:I am not so sure, don’t you have a presentation with the VP?

Claire: I am a VP, asshole

Betik: I mean the real VP from NY, not the chick who just has the title.

Claire; you are pissing me off now and still have not told me what is going. Make it short.

Betik: a bunch of people go from Florida to Bahamas on Yamaha boats. I need $45-$50K.

Claire: Jesus, anything else I should be worried about.

Betik: no love, you authorize the amount and I will take care of the rest.

Claire: max $50?

Betik: max $50.

Claire: I thought you said no house projects for a year.

Betik: obviously not a house project.

Claire: don’t bankrupt us.

Betik: I won’t.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fellow readers, I like to hear my self talk and lately like to see myself type. For the seasoned Jetboaters this write up will serve as a Greek Comedy and for the junior jetboaters will serve as a Greek Drama. Especially for those who so desperately want to make the trip and underestimate the preparation needed to make the trip.

I read @kthrash write up of his little adventure more than once and one thing was sure of my trip. I was 99.99% prepared to take in water. We took water more than once and all the times we handled great. We knew what was coming; we knew what to do. 6 inches of water in the cockpit, no-proplem for the Yonder crew. Although, we handled water in the cockpit very well, we were ill prepared for other things and so I thought I share. Especially, for someone who watches a youtube video and thinks he/she can cross to Bimini with zero boating experience, for this fool, this is a must read.

This is meant to be a trilogy where the first part is the preparation, the 2nd part is the trip itself and the 3rd part is the lesson learned and rational examination of the whole adventure.

· The Odyssey of an Immature Captain

• o Already uploaded word document

· The Odyssey of an Amateur Captain

• o Semi finished and soon to be uploaded word document

· The Odyssey of the Soul and its Search for Rationality

• o Yet to be started word document that will include lessons learned with detailed cost report

Disclaimer: All references to situations and people are fully based in my memory. And I know I have very short short term memory. If anything in my docs contracts what you know, assume that I am wrong.

Note 1: The writing style here is not just GreekEnglish. There is sanity in the insanity of those scribbles. As the trilogy progresses the writing will be more and more allegoric, cryptic and down to mystic. In all honesty, I am not even sure that there is value in the time spend to decrypt my writings, but the fact the reader might not finish the trilogy is not a good enough reason for me to not write it. As duty dictates; I must write.

Note 2: The timeline is neither linear not chronological. The trigoly starts the day we are about to make the BIMINI Sands reservations. Within that very same day and while driving to the local UPS store, the time shifts back 8 months when the inception of the Bimini trip takes place. The time returns to back to present time during the UPS store transaction and then slips again in the past. These 2 time slips occur while, I am driving to the UPS store and driving back from the UPS store. After than more or less the events occur in a chronological order.

Note 3: Straight dialogue with 3rd person writings is just actual events observed by whoever was present. Italic text usually indicates the writer’s state of mind and thoughts what have not been shared with anyone until the publishing of this text. For those of you who are still reading this and are starting to wonder if this is a schizophrenic behavior on my part… Please rest assured that my shrink is fully aware of what is going on. Legally, I am still sane. LOL

Note 4: Some characters on the text might be unfamiliar to the reader.

· “Admiral” is often referred to the founder of the forum and leader of the Bimini expedition, Bruce.

· “Nanny” or “my wife’s mother in law” refers to my own mother.

“Demon” is a metaphysical creature that exists on someone’s mind and gives its landlord advice to on how to avoid injustice, immorality and disgrace.
OMG. ROTF.

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Like I said Comedy and Tragedy at the same time.
Part 2 will not let you down......

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@captainhook i wanted to keep parts separate. Preparing. Making the trip. And then conclusion.

What better part to end part 1 than being dead in the water will the rest of the boats fading behind the waves?

Actually part 2 starts before being dead in the water with more details on we got there. The crossing was so traumatic that I have mental notes engraved in my frontal lobe.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik I just so hate you right now... I'm supposed to work, instead - reading your Odyssey.
I was just laughing out loud, which I never do. My kids are afraid.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Love this! It reminds me of awesome stories from advrider during my dual sport days.

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Ok you should be a professional writer and damn it man How do you leave us hanging like that !?!

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Claire: You don't have to.
betik: Stay in Budget?!

Hahaha!
I was making a grocery list about 30 minutes ago, now I just realized I'm sitting on the floor in the pantry reading this....saving for "work" tomorrow:). This is good stuff!

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik it is shaping up to be a literary masterpiece. Very engaging and very entertaining. Your voice was in my head while I read. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

DeeAmericanDream

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Betik I don't know your voice. But I imagined my self right next to you the whole time.... and now I won't be able to do anything but keep checking my phone until you finish the story ‍♂ ETA ? Haha

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After meeting @Betik and @swatski I hear all of their forum posts. Lol

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
So many great parts here.

Another one of my favorites:

"We can buy a used 190 for $20K and then after a, couple of years get rid of it. I PM Bruce if it was okay to buy a 190. No he said. Just be patience. Oh great. Very detailed advice."

And another:

"I walk in the backyard and the tarp and frame are gone!!! WTF ? where are they ? Oh shit they are on Wesley’s roof. A frantic attempt to clear my neighbors garage roof and drive starts."

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very nice, looking forward to part 2

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a very good read! Looking forward to part 2 @Betik !

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik Please post the darned thing already!!

I feel restless... may need to rewatch My Big Fat Greek Wedding or something in the meantime but the Odyssey is so much better!

--

Paulie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome and most entertaining account! Can't wait for the next installment!