• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini side shade

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Somewhere on here in the millions of posts and threads i remember seeing a pic where some one put up a sun shade mesh that hooked onto the side of the bimini and would hang down to the sise of the boat blocking the sun from coming in... who was it? Anyone remember?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Me.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Had zippers installed on new bimini, so it zips to the bimini on top and uses bungi balls around lower tower parallel with windshield. Looking in the archives for the pics I posted earlier, will post when found.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It was a completely new bimini as well as cockpit and bow covers. Had them made custom at Cloth n Canvas in Colchester, Vt. She did save a pattern for future. Excellent work.

Edit: The factory grey bimini was suffering from wear and mildew. We had it replaced with sunbrella fabric that zips off the frame instead of sliding off frame. Opted for zippers for ease of removal. And zippers on sides for versatility of adding curtains/shades. I know...a lot of zippers here;)My forum handle "zipper" is the name of my 14yo Border Collie. He still heards the sheep.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I want to do this... but we have blown the mod budget out of the water this year... im not sure how my wive will respond to a custom bimini top!.. can u give me a price range?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sure, here are a few pics of what we paid for:0916161636.jpgVented cockpit cover,0914160854.jpgVented bow cover, bimini with new boot, snaps installed on hull and windshield.0916161504.jpg Both support poles, plug into the bottom of the vents and are telescoping. Final cost was $2500. I know that is a lot, but in our minds it transformed our Yamaha. It is really easy to spot from shore in a marina with black covers everywhere. I understand the reasoning for using lt. grey but they were pretty worn. She did fix a rub hole in the factory grey mooring cover, for free, which I still use for winter storage.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Same place, somewhere around $150. Do not remember exact price. She made a pattern. We only bought one, it can be used on either side. We will be having her make another for us soon, we like it.http://clothncanvas.com/

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@bronze_10 Your bimimi looks custom, the frame looks bigger than mine.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@zipper if it is a custom it was from the original owner and he only out 40 hours on the thing..

@Julian that what we did last year and will prob have to do that this year too but when we get a new bimini i am gonna go zippers route

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Zippers sure make it easier! My old bimini was fully zipper all the way around for side curtains....was awesome for when we got caught in downpours - which happened a few times. In fact, when we'd see a small line of rain coming with no rain behind it, we'd hang out as most boats would clear the lake....we'd just button up the front and sides and stay dry and wait it out.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When we wanted quick shade on the side, we would use bimini clips and a big towel.....
That is what we did previously, and still do at the back of the bimini when we want to block off the cockpit. My wife was tired of peeking around the towel every time we would hear someone around the boat. She wanted visibility and shade. The towel is definitely a cheaper alternative, but she opted for the shade screen.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@bronze_10 On second thought it does look the same as mine, 4 support bars across the top, first look I thought I saw 6.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@bronze_10 I bet you could find a canvas shop in your area that could add zippers to your bimini.20170423_113522.jpg

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That is what we did previously, and still do at the back of the bimini when we want to block off the cockpit. My wife was tired of peeking around the towel every time we would hear someone around the boat. She wanted visibility and shade. The towel is definitely a cheaper alternative, but she opted for the shade screen.
Yup....I suppose one could just buy some shade material and use the bimini clips to clip it up...but zippering is way easier....and less agravating when you drop a bimini clip!

For those that don't know what a bimini clip is:

24205003-9538-4211-aa0a-15325af88b3e_1.0424cbd95f14c599456f1e87b089c297.jpeg

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yup....I suppose one could just buy some shade material and use the bimini clips to clip it up...but zippering is way easier....and less agravating when you drop a bimini clip!

For those that don't know what a bimini clip is:

View attachment 54583
I bought several of these things this winter. They are awesome for sure, but the side curtain i way cooler!