• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini top help

Michael Guzzo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I was towing the boat home a few months back and somehow the strap that attaches the bimini to the tower ripped, the whole structure caught in the wind and my frame became bent. Took the boat in for service and asked for an estimate. The dealership says that it can not be repaired and will cost $1,500 for a replacement. Ouch! Don't suppose anyone has a used bimini (actual frame not cover) that they would like to sell for a 2012 242 limited S. Or if there are any other options for a cheaper alternative I would be appreciative!

Living here in Tampa going a full day in the midst of summer with no bimini is not really an option.

Thanks!

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Seem to recall someone with a boat of around that vintage being parted out but I can't find it now... Suggest posting in the "Classified Ads" forum section?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Michael Guzzo I had to replace a part on my bimini top last summer. The dealer I went to ordered a replacement from Seachoice Products. It was a direct replacement for the broken part. They said that most Yamaha parts like that are actually pretty standard stuff. I'm not sure about the actual poles for our biminis, but at least the fittings were from Seachoice. Good luck finding a replacement, and if you find a generic source for parts, keep us updated.

I've really wanted to get a new canvas made for mine, and from what I've seen posted around here, it will likely be $500-700 for the canvas alone.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Seem to recall someone with a boat of around that vintage being parted out but I can't find it now... Suggest posting in the "Classified Ads" forum section?
Agree....suggest posting under "Wanted to Buy" prefix in the classified with a clear title saying "Need bimini frame for 2010 242 Limited S", but to be honest, this is a long shot...not many people would have replaced their bimini tops....

I can move and rename the post if you would like....just @ my name or administrative and we'll get on it for ya!

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Michael Guzzo check with @krock he had a 2014 Limited S that was salvaged. Not sure if the bimini is the same but worth asking.

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone know if a 2008 SX230 bimini would fit his boat? Looking to sell mine and get it out my garage - I never use it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MrWizard , your 230 SS bimini may fit under the Ls tower but it would not attach the same way as a stock Ls Bimini. The Ls has a forward swept tower and its Bimini mounts to the front horizontal bar of the tower. When the bimini is stowed it sits against the rear supports of the tower. Even if a SX Bimini would fit an Ls, how to route a tow line when the Bimini is deployed still needs to be addressed (i.e., over or under the top, can/should it be done at all when the top is deployed?).

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
contact the manufacturer...they may give you a new one for free or at a discounted price

Apex Canvas or Commercial Sewing. Check the tag

smack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my cover ripped at the seam this weekend too. It not usable after only a month of ownership. I am thinking about seeing if I can find a company local to make one

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Attwood makes decent covers/boots that are reasonably priced. Just pick color and width.

Michael Guzzo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A year and half later and I still have no replacement haha. Figured it was worth bumping this thread just to see if anything has changed. Thanks!

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did you check with Yamaha Sports Plaza?

My bimini cover ripped as well on the interstate and my cover went flying at 75mph. Needless to say the frame was bent. If I recall correctly I paid about $650-700 for a whole new bimini assembly shipped to my door.
(Cover and frame)

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When I had my camper enclosure made, the canvas guys had access to custom framing. One guy did it himself, another could get it done to specification. I would be surprised if there wasn't a custom canvas fabricator or 2 near you in Tampa!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yamahasportsplaza https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/5003a26cf870021f60a12504/bimini-top-carpet has it piece by piece or the whole assembly. You may be able to find someone with a tubing bender in your area to bend a new bow in either Al or SS cheaper, but the bimini itself is priced pretty low at $360. $800 for the whole assembly, new bimini, frame and boot. Still cheaper than a custom bimini/frame, based on our custom Sunbrella bimini. If you are inclined there are DIY kits for frame and fabric, but seem as pricey as just buying it. https://www.sailrite.com/Sail-and-Canvas-Kits/Biminis?t=1547898105517
I have been thinking about buying a 1" tubing bender and a roller for crowning and making custom frames. Only 2 people in my area do this, and they are not cheap.
He does make it look easy.
Screenshot_20190119-062416_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Guzzo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
These are all great suggestions. I appreciate the thoughtful feedback. I am going to spend some time researching these options later today and I will let everyone know if I find a good resolution.