• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bimini Top Shake Mod?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One design (cost saving) feature I don't like on my SX230 is the relatively flimsy Bimini top pole system.
At any spread above planing, it tends to shake toward port and starboard. Many other boat brands have much heavier poles in their Bimini tops, some also have gussets or other bracing to hold them firmly.

Has anyone ever attempted a mod to fix this shaking? I don't recall ever seeing such a mod, either her or at YJB. Anyone?

Sounds like you need to put a lot more tension on your front tie down straps.

I really pull them tight and don't have any side to side motion except in rough conditions.

Sounds like you need to put a lot more tension on your front tie down straps.

I really pull them tight and don't have any side to side motion except in rough conditions.

X2 on my sx210. Lots of tension and a couple twists to keep the lines from chattering in the wind. Never had a sway issue.

Thx for the quick feedback!

I already twist, but have not been using a lot of tension. I will try it next time.

Of course, we have a good snow coming down and it is supposed to be -30 wind chill tonight... so it may be a while before I can test the higher tension approach out.

Reactions: 007
You gotta lean on the strap a little bit to get it taught.

I recall a member on yjb adding additional support poles (one on each side) to the rear of the Bimini frame to better stabilize it. It looked good/stock but got in the way of the seating above the upper deck of the transom, where the compartment doors are on the '04 to '06 240s. I used to have the same problem on my sx230 until I tightened the straps up. That solved the problem but the following season, possibly two later, the loops that held the strap clips were almost worn through.

In the past I've thought of going strapless on my top but decided the straps are working just fine so why change. If I was going to go strapless I would use a strut system similar to http://www.geminicanvas.com/conversionkit.htm . Now to keep my top tight I too have my front straps very tight and with a twist and don't experience any noticeable side-to-side movement.

Back