• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini Top Wakeboard Position

kypdurron5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm having some trouble with the bimini top on my AR190. According to the manual there’s a short position for when using the wakeboard tower. However, I can’t seem to get it out of the long position; there’s just too much tension on it, even with a helper. Am I just not using enough force, or is there a way to do it I’m missing? Taking the aft support out and collapsing the back works great...but only until the front slips out and hits someone in the head. I ended up completely storing it, but the shade is really nice to have. It’s possible with this 1yr old boat the canvas just hasn’t stretched enough, but I’m hessitant to force it. So what does everyone out there do with the bimini top when wakeboarding?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don’t have your model boat but if you have not done so already look for any Bimini poles that telescope/compressed. On some of the early 242s the rope rode under (with non telescoping poles) v. Over the tower telescoping (with telescoping poles, lowered to allow rope to ride over the bimini top without rubbing it excessively). This may give you the slack you need to get the top in position to deploy it properly.

KyleP

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How long have you had it? Mine loosened up over time and I was able to pull it down to the other notches. It takes a while for it to stretch

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My '17 AR190 is the same way. Ther is simply no matter of pulling that is going to get the bimini into the "lower" position. I'm 1/2 way through my second season and it hasn't loosened up at all. I'm not able to do as many watersports as I want, so the usage isn't bad and we just go under the bimini when boarding. It rubs a little, but hasn't been an issue yet. At the rate it's "stretching" I doubt it will ever be relaxed enough to go into the lower position.

kypdurron5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good to hear it's not just me!! Mine is also a 2017 but my first season with it, I bought it used. I can get the locking button compressed but just can't push the back down enough to get to the middle position, let alone the short position. I hadn't thought about going under the bimini; above or below I'm concerned with the rope rubbing but wanted to get it into the short position first then evaluate. Turns out I suck at skiing but getting up on the wakeboard wasn't too tough at all, so I'll be doing that more than anything else in the future and definitely need to figure something out.

After a careful reading of the manual there is one glimmer of hope; I noticed it says to push down on the forward main support pole while trying to collapse the back. I haven't tried it yet but perhaps that's the key to creating enough slack on the back poles? Still seems like a tight fit, but the manual also states the long position is only for getting the bimini up; we're supposed to be cruising in the middle position.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll have to go re-read the manual tonight to make sure I get what you're saying. I think I understand though.

I have never run mine in any position except the highest one. The top is just WAY too tight to get it into any other position. I'm not going to rip the thing just to prevent a little wear from the rope. If I was spending more of my time on the board instead of yanking a tube around, or if I noticed any unusual wear I would find another solution. So far, it's been no big deal. At 6'2" tall I do appreciate that top being as high as possible when climbing around on the boat though :D :D

Glad to hear you got up on the board. It is much easier to come out of the water with than ski's. Lots more surface area on the board to support your weight. I've found the 190 doesn't make much of a wake, and the lip is a little washed out, but still provides some entertainment. I'm a wakeskate guy so the shape/size of the wake isn't of much concern to me really, I spend most of my time out in the flat water beside the wake.

aich75013

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine is a 2016 and I have never been able to get in to the "short position." The middle one is enough though.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's been that way since 2016 when they introduced the forward swept towers on the 19' boats. Mine is the same way. You have to modify the poles if you want to use the other holes. Sucks but it is what it is.

@viper15 modded his and did a how-to AR195 Bimini Adjustment

kypdurron5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's been that way since 2016 when they introduced the forward swept towers on the 19' boats. Mine is the same way. You have to modify the poles if you want to use the other holes. Sucks but it is what it is.

@viper15 modded his and did a how-to AR195 Bimini Adjustment
Wow, crazy this is such an issue that folks have taken to modding it just to obtain factory function! Thanks for the link; I don't think I'll go that far, but good to know the option is out there!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea someone at XTP (tower manufacturer for OEM boats including Yamaha) got the measurements just a little wrong on the fabric I think so it makes it hard to use anything other than the first setting. Then again if it were too loose of fabric we'd be complaining then. I guess I would rather my fabric be too tight and lossen over the years than be too loose and flap in the wind. Too bad there's not a middle ground but that's what the mod is for.

KyleP

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I generally don’t see a rubbing issue when towing anyway, the boat leans back and the rope stays off the top for the most part

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Lol pull harder. Yea right. I pull any harder I'm gonna pull the lake up with it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lol pull harder. Yea right. I pull any harder I'm gonna pull the lake up with it.
I was envisioning flipping the boat over backwards if I pulled any harder :D

I did have a thought about "fixing" the problem. I bet if we pulled the plastic plugs out of the front longitudinal supports, then cut a short bit off (maybe sneak up on it with a grinder) would could shorten that front section just enough to allow for easy adjustment into the "lower" position.......If I start getting a wear issue from the rope I'll look into that. Not a big enough concern for me at this point to monkey with it.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I may just bolt a diving board off the rear of mine. That way after about a season worth of jumping off it I MIGHT have caused it to go to the second hole....maybe :D

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I had the boat out today. I can confirm two things.

1. The fabric and frame is strong enough to hold a 235lb monkey hanging from it. Read on to find out how I know.

2. There is absolutely no way I'm getting the top into the lowest position. With me quite literally hanging on it, it BARELY clicked into the second "middle" position. Unless the top stretches another inch or two it ain't happening.

kypdurron5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I had the boat out today. I can confirm two things.

1. The fabric and frame is strong enough to hold a 235lb monkey hanging from it. Read on to find out how I know.

2. There is absolutely no way I'm getting the top into the lowest position. With me quite literally hanging on it, it BARELY clicked into the second "middle" position. Unless the top stretches another inch or two it ain't happening.
Good to know! I have to admit I took the boat out today but didn’t give it any more tries; the water was a little chilly so the sun was a nice balance. Maybe keep using the middle attachment for the stretch and perhaps one day get to the short position? My girlfriend and I are sold on wakeboarding though; got up every time this second time trying. Good fun but man, we need to get in better shape to go more than a few minutes at a time.

Unrelated... When towing tubes do you folks use the ski hook, or use a dual latch segment (“self centering”) on the two bottom hooks? Tube should get here this week so next weekend we’ll be trying that!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You use the tube/ski hook to pull tubes. Those hooks underneath used for the trailer transom straps are not reinforced or made for watersports.

NeverAgain3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am fighting (and losing) this battle as we speak! There is no way my 2018 AR195 is going into lower. Haven't got middle either. Only have had it a week though. Tough bugger

kypdurron5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if there’s a warranty question here to be had. If you bought a car under warranty and a factory feature didn’t work as intended a repair would be in order.... I’m a little disappointed; I gravitated towards Yamaha because it’s a complete package of Japanese engineering and manufacturing. This seems like a glaring problem that shouldn’t require end user modification to obtain factory function. It’s just a canvas cover, sure, but if your convertible car top didn’t function correctly a manufacturer remedy would be in order.