• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini VHF MMSI

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Going to be installing a new VHF (Standard Horizons 1700) in the new boat before the trip and was reading up on the DSC function...in particular sending data to individuals or groups with MMSI.

Was thinking having everyone's MMSI (those that have it), for th etrip could be very beneficial.

1. If a vessel had issues, the captain could send out a group (all vessels on the trip) message WITH GPS coordinates.
2. If a vessel was at a certain spot and wanted to invite fellow members, it would be a way to invite them, with GPS and those individuals could navigate to their location.

Just another safety and info feature for the trip.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm in, My MMSI is 338173888.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Probably a dumb question that can be easily googled, but how do I get an mmsi? I read in the other thread about boatus giving you one? (I do know from that thread that is the only one I'll use, not the CG issued one or whatever) I planned to look into it more once I wired my VHF into my GPS, just haven't reached that stage yet.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm really surprised at the lack of perceived interest. DSC and MMSI are important safety features. When, I planned our first Bahama trip, safety was high on my risk assessment. Implementing as many safety devices and practicing safety plans with family made us feel more comfortable in the movement.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My VHF doesn't have the DSC/MMSI functionality.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Question for the folks with a MMSI number from BoatUS.

Since I'm starting to feel like I'm in the minority with not having a MMSI number, I might upgrade my VHF radio. When looking into the getting a MMSI number I noticed that according to BoatUS, http://www.boatus.com/mmsi/, they mention that if you plan on visiting the Bahamas plus other countries that you are legally required to go to the FCC to obtain a SSL (ship station license). The FCC will issue you an appropriate MMSI number.

How did you register you VHF radio with BoatUS with the plans on going to the Bahamas?

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My MMSI number is: 338172017.

When I registered I did n't have plans to go to Bimini yet. ;) :)

I have to assume the purpose of that is to register the number internationally and BoatUS just does domestic. We are only really communicating boat to boat so no worries in my mind.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Question for the folks with a MMSI number from BoatUS.

Since I'm starting to feel like I'm in the minority with not having a MMSI number, I might upgrade my VHF radio. When looking into the getting a MMSI number I noticed that according to BoatUS, http://www.boatus.com/mmsi/, they mention that if you plan on visiting the Bahamas plus other countries that you are legally required to go to the FCC to obtain a SSL (ship station license). The FCC will issue you an appropriate MMSI number.

How did you register you VHF radio with BoatUS with the plans on going to the Bahamas?
@PedalPirate posted some good info in this thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/has-anybody-gotten-an-mmsi-number.5132

The short version is that Bimini is close enough that it should be fine.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When I registered I did n't have plans to go to Bimini yet. ;) :)

I have to assume the purpose of that is to register the number internationally and BoatUS just does domestic. We are only really communicating boat to boat so no worries in my mind.
Just curious what would happen if you issued a distress call while in the Bahamas waters.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just curious what would happen if you issued a distress call while in the Bahamas waters.
The call would go through but they would have to contact USCG to get a description of your boat.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Being the father duck means I can only go as fast as the slowest duckling.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would like to say that I will join you back there, but I can't drive 25!
Just a hunch but some how I figure @andy07sx230ho is not at the back of the pack this time I can't say that for his boat lol but he will probably be doing a little faster than 25 mph if he wishes.