• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Black, sticky tar-like goo in ignition switch

peegee12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
My 2003 Yamaha SR230 has started coating the ignition keys with a sticky, black residue - you can see the stuff oozing out of the ignition switches. It cleans off with Goof-off, but just noticed a couple of big blobs have dripped on the floor under the driver's console. Any others with similar problems, or ideas on how to fix?

clint6760

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 04sx230 does the same thing. It's just the rubberized part of the ignition switches that get hot. Both of mine are bad and sticky.

TX Steve

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have the same issue with my 2008 SX230HO, sticky black residue from the ignition seal breaking down due to age or heat. Has anyone got a good solution short of replacing the ignition switches?