• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Blew the clean outs!

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Our first day on the water with this beautiful boat. My wife placed the clean outs in their hatch. We headed out, hit about 7k rpm, and wham, no power. The clean outs blew the hatch open and broke the latch. We noticed a little damage to the edges of the fiberglass framing, but they popped back in. Hard lesson to learn. Will have to fix the hatch now too. At least they didn't go flying overboard since they were tethered.

One was stuck in and could not pull it out. Eventually I thought about using a jack and chain and pulling it out with applied pressure. Then I decided to just attach a chain about three feet long, slowly pulled on it as I stood over the hatch, wiggling as I pulled, and it just popped out. Leverage. Cleaned off the clean out with 0000 steel wool and will treat with silicone spray.

I see they redesigned the clean out plugs....too late for me :(

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They make a lower portion replacement kit for your plugs I did it on mine and made a world of difference now a 5 year old can pull and seat the plugs.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our first day on the water with this beautiful boat. My wife placed the clean outs in their hatch. We headed out, hit about 7k rpm, and wham, no power. The clean outs blew the hatch open and broke the latch. We noticed a little damage to the edges of the fiberglass framing, but they popped back in. Hard lesson to learn. Will have to fix the hatch now too. At least they didn't go flying overboard since they were tethered.

One was stuck in and could not pull it out. Eventually I thought about using a jack and chain and pulling it out with applied pressure. Then I decided to just attach a chain about three feet long, slowly pulled on it as I stood over the hatch, wiggling as I pulled, and it just popped out. Leverage. Cleaned off the clean out with 0000 steel wool and will treat with silicone spray.

I see they redesigned the clean out plugs....too late for me :(
The redesign came in 2017, and it is too early to know what that will be like.
In the meantime, there are EZ locks - a robust and inexpensive fix for blowups:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2016-ar240-cobra-fins-magnum-ak-w-fangs-install-and-first-impressions-plus-ez-locks-refresher.11530/page-2

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My opinion is that most blowouts happen when plugs that are difficult to install are partially installed. After replacing the bottom portion the plugs should be very easy to install and remove. Both used Yamahas I have purchased have needed the plugs rebuilt.

The best practice is to remove the plugs and lay them across the holes after every outing then reinstall them as you prepare to launch the boat.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My opinion is that most blowouts happen when plugs that are difficult to install are partially installed. After replacing the bottom portion the plugs should be very easy to install and remove. Both used Yamahas I have purchased have needed the plugs rebuilt.

The best practice is to remove the plugs and lay them across the holes after every outing then reinstall them as you prepare to launch the boat.

I believe that was the case here too. I did not clean the plugs after I bought the boat and made the wrong assumption that they would be okay. I will be spraying them with silicone after I have cleaned them with the 0000 steel wool. I will ensure they are properly seated. If I do it next time, I will have my wife double check and vice-versa. The boat show is tomorrow and I will speak with the Yamaha rep for advice as well but I think the consensus is to replace the bottom portion of the plug and use the EZ locks too. Lots to do!

Thank you for the reply.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am a huge fan of rebuilding the cleanout plugs. I purchased a set of locks but have never installed them and believe that well maintained cleanout plugs are sufficient on their own.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am a huge fan of rebuilding the cleanout plugs. I purchased a set of locks but have never installed them and believe that well maintained cleanout plugs are sufficient on their own.
Sure, BUT:
1. EZ locks cost like $15 and prevent a blowup if you eff-up
2. Which you won't with correctly installed EZ locks

I know... That's my logic, anyway.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sure, BUT:
1. EZ locks cost like $15 and prevent a blowup if you eff-up
2. Which you won't with correctly installed EZ locks

I know... That's my logic, anyway.

--
Ez locks maybe a great blow out prevention tool but it is not the fix. I would not blow the engine in my car then take it to the shop and ask them to change the oil and expect it to fix the problem. In this case if the plugs are difficult to seat or remove as mentioned you must first fix the problem by replacing the lower unit and then if you want add easy locks as a future prevention tool you can. 95% of the threads I see where there is a plug blow out also involve hearing the plugs do not easily seat or remove and that problem must be addressed first.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ez locks maybe a great blow out prevention tool but it is not the fix. I would not blow the engine in my car then take it to the shop and ask them to change the oil and expect it to fix the problem. In this case if the plugs are difficult to seat or remove as mentioned you must first fix the problem by replacing the lower unit and then if you want add easy locks as a future prevention tool you can. 95% of the threads I see where there is a plug blow out also involve hearing the plugs do not easily seat or remove and that problem must be addressed first.
You are 100% right.
There is no argument, EZ locks only prevent blowups, the plugs need to be rebuilt to be functional.
I certainly hope I did not confuse the issue.

--

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
More importantly.....where the hell is Fruit Cover Florida???:winkingthumbsup"

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The first thing you want to do is be sure the area under the radial seal on the cleanout plug is clean and free of dirt, sand or other buildup. The next thing is be sure the ring in the tube where the cleanout plug seats is good and clean. Next see that your plugs go in and out easily if they bind up you should re place the bottom half of the plug part number for-67690-00 The locks are very inexpensive insurance something you hope you never need but if you do it's a good thing you have them and they tell you when they stopped a blowout. So I guess it's like condoms they have a very important purpose so buying them and not using them is very optimistic if not foolish.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wow....never thought EZ Locks might lead to Child Support!!!!:winkingthumbsup"

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well now if you look at the design those could be a very effective contraceptive, I certainly wouldn't want to screw with them!

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
More importantly.....where the hell is Fruit Cover Florida???:winkingthumbsup"
Oops...my bad. Fruit Cove...I'll fix that. It's between St. Augustine and Jacksonville! Thanks for catching that.