• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Blown motor? (Updated 8/9/2019)

PaulyB

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like parts if the engine block. It looks like you may have thrown a rod, take pictures of the sides of the motors.

scokill

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed. Looks like catastrophic failure. Should be plenty of oil all over the engine compartment.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very sorry for you; but there are options to get back in business. I bet it was cylinder 3.

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What are my options?

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’d start searching EBay for short blocks.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We need to see the damage; but in general, an SBT engine, a short block rebuild, a used MR1 on eBay or a used jet ski donor to start.

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would rather not mess with used anything. Any ballpark on cost for a new motor installed?

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The install shouldn’t be bad, and if you don’t want to do it yourself it will be relatively cheap, I would imagine.

I have read some bad things about the SBT MR1’s though, so you should do your homework.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
...and you can’t really get new from Yamaha. Personally, I favor a used factory-built engine with good condition and relatively low time to an aftermarket build.

scokill

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm guessing this motor is completely fucked. Can anyone identify what has blown out the right side/bottom of the right engine?
Curious how many hours are on the motor?

PaulyB

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jgorm

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would rather not mess with used anything. Any ballpark on cost for a new motor installed?
The only way to get a new engine is to buy all the parts and have it assembled. Yamaha haven't sold mr1 engines for many years. Cost is probably 15k+ to do that.

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
~200 hours.

Took it out on the lake, idled around for 15 minutes or so, then brought the throttles up slowly to 7500 or 8000. Not sure exactly how long probably 10 or 15 seconds later we heard a loud pop. I shut the motors off and immediately thought blowout plug. Checked them, still there. fuck.
Had everyone get to the front of the boat and grabbed the fire extinguisher. Opened engine compartment and some smoke came out. Some oil (not much) and water in the compartment (It was clean before we went out) and the metal pieces in the attached photo.

Having some trouble finding a place that will actually do a motor swap.

Last edited:

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Your best bet is to take it out yourself and find someone that works on skis.

If you ask for a “Jet Boat Mechanic” every marina will say they don’t do that. My guess is they think you’re talking about a 70’s big block jetboat, when in reality you just have a really-big JetSki.

When the marina tells you they don’t t work on jetboats ask if they know anyone that works on skis. They will likely know someone.

You can take it (the engine) to a powersports place that services Yamahas, but they will charge you Dealer prices.

Your best bet is to find a place that only works on skis, as they will probably have parts on hand and possibly a short block out of a wrecked ski you can use.

In my experience though, the act of physically removing the engine from the boat and putting it back in will probably be up to you.
This is because the ski shop won’t be set up with a gantry or anything large enough to pull our motor.

There are some was to do this yourself; make a gantry from wood, use your tower as part of a hoist, or throw a rope around a tree and lift it out with your tractor... you could probably even use a basketball goal (maybe not). The engine will be less than 200#’s and Is really a lot less intimidating than you’d think.

There’s not much to it really, just get it out and get it to someone quickly so you can enjoy your season!!

scokill

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
~200 hours.

Took it out on the lake, idled around for 15 minutes or so, then brought the throttles up slowly to 7500 or 8000. Not sure exactly how long probably 10 or 15 seconds later we heard a loud pop. I shut the motors off and immediately thought blowout plug. Checked them, still there. fuck.
Had everyone get to the front of the boat and grabbed the fire extinguisher. Opened engine compartment and some smoke came out. Some oil (not much) and water in the compartment (It was clean before we went out) and the metal pieces in the attached photo.

Having some trouble finding a place that will actually do a motor swap.
Just curious. Had it been sitting for a period time or not used very much over the past few years? Have seen a handful of reports of catastrophic failure on MR1s and there was just talk about lower hours/lack of use making this more susceptible.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
x2 for the local jetski guy. Call around, check Craigslist in your area. Anyone familiar with Jet Skis can do the swap or a local rebuild if the engine allows. Best of luck!